67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Sunshine Reviews

John M

March 2, 2008
A new sci fi movie that i hadnt heard about but was better than i expected.
Dan S

October 19, 2007
A remarkable, completely mesmerizing under-seen film from Danny Boyle about a group of eight astronauts sent up into space in hopes of reviving a dying sun 50 years into the future by setting off a nuclear bomb the size of Manhattan Island inside it. Everybody complains about the last 1/3 of this film, and I'm not quite sure why. Yes, it undergoes a dramatic shift in tone but I for one found it to add yet another thrilling layer to an already intense story. Cillian Murphy's all-out turn drives this film for the most part, with nice support from his supporting cast. More importantly, this thing is just beautiful to look at. The one thing I would complain about would be a lack of character development (then again, you could say the same thing for "Alien" and other classics, too, which I love) and an unclear look at why the main villain in the film chooses to do what he does. Still, as violent as the tone change might be and as underdeveloped or undercooked some of Boyle's and writer Alex Garland's ideas might look at times, this picture makes up for these shortcomings and some by providing a ridiculously hypnotizing story and action on-screen. The ending is both tragic and fitting, with an epic score to complement the orange waves of the beautiful sun captured in full-scope. I for one really, really like this movie.
Wildaly M

May 30, 2007
Memorable and intelligent.
Spencer M

October 12, 2013
Good visuals and performances make up for a weak final third
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

April 21, 2013
The last five years have been very kind to Danny Boyle. Since 2008 he has enjoyed a wave of critical acclaim, with the Oscar success of Slumdog Millionaire, nominations for 127 Hours, and the rapturous reception for his opening and closing ceremonies for the London Olympics. His most recent film, Trance, sees Boyle kicking back just a little bit, to indulge himself and enjoy his success.

Lest we forget, however, that film is an unstable and unpredictable business; there is no road map to booming box office or Oscar glory. Slumdog Millionaire was originally going to go straight-to-video, only seeing the light of day after a last-minute deal with Fox Searchlight. The year before, Boyle delivered Sunshine, a thought-provoking science fiction film with a great cast - that promptly underperformed after being released on the hottest day of the year. Six years on, the film still has its problems, but it remains an impressive cinematic experience.

Even if nothing else about it worked, Sunshine is a visually arresting film containing moments of beauty and splendour. The film is shot by Alwin H. Kuchler, who worked on Michael Winterbottom on The Claim and Code 46. He makes very conscious choices with the colour palette to juxtapose the interior of Icarus II with the loneliness of space. Inside the ship the screen is dominated by greens and blues that put us at ease, so that when we cut to the bright yellow sun, it feels like it is invading us. It's a very effective ploy of both making the crews' behaviour seem natural and conveying the devastating power of a dying star.

Other aspects of the production design are equally arresting. So many sci-fi films have space suits that feel like direct copies of NASA suits, often out of a desire for realism and direct comparison with our society. The suits in Sunshine, nicknamed 'Kenny suits' after their resemblance to the South Park character, are far more unusual and bespoke; they are showcased for their advanced technology, but also their shortcomings, with characters falling over due to their weight. The design of the Icarus spacecraft is a similar case of verisimilitude; we think we recognise details from Silent Running or Event Horizon, but it still feels like an original design.

Not only does Sunshine look good, it is also effectively directed. Boyle uses subliminal imagery in the form of quick cuts when the crew enters the Icarus I, putting us on edge and forcing us to second-guess ourselves. More effective, however, is the rendition of Pinbacker, who serves as the hyper-stylised intruder to this gritty vision of space.

Boyle shot Mark Strong's scenes with two lenses simultaneously, on in and one out of focus, and then overlaid the images in post-production. The resulting blurry effect puts us in an area of panic, withholding the villain in plain sight and making him more frightening. Even as we see him right in front of us, we get only the merest hint of his face or the extent of his burns. As a result he increases in power and takes on a more mythical, demonic quality, being much more Hellraiser than Hallowe'en.

There is a very conscious effort on Boyle's part to situate Sunshine in the pantheon of classic science fiction. While it is a product of its time in its budget, effects and directorial style, the works it draws upon are all at the smarter, bleaker, more introspective end of the sci-fi genre. There are big hints of Alien in the blue-collar surroundings and the various hierarchies that spring up within the crew. Pinbacker's character is a direct nod to John Carpenter's Dark Star, which subsequent led to Alien. If you were feeling facetious, you could speculate that this character is what Sergeant Pinback could have become had he survived past the end credits.

Like Alien and Event Horizon after it, the plot of Sunshine centres around the terrifying consequences of answering a distress call, though the monster in this case is a lot less Freudian or rooted in body horror. The airlock sequence is a straightforward nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey, while the scenes in the oxygen garden are clearly inspired by Silent Running, with Michelle Yeoh standing in for Bruce Dern.

There are also thematic nods to Solaris in the crew's memories of Earth, and their troubling dreams of their families back home. And in its final reel the film does embrace or invoke many conventions of the slasher movie sub-genre. But where a lesser film would channel these without bringing anything new to the table, Sunshine raises a number of interesting ideas of its own. Not all of them are explored fully or resolved to a satisfying degree, but until its final act it is very much a thinking person's sci-fi film.

One such theme that keeps cropping up is finding or perceiving beauty in acts of great destruction. This is most evident in Pinbacker, who believes that allowing the human race to die out is part of God's plan. But the other characters reflect this idea too, albeit in ways that are far more equivocal. Capa reflects on the Sun as something that simultaneously kills and brings life; he is drawn to understanding how something can inspire such awe in the face of possible malice.

The film also explores the ethics of suicide and despair, something borne out in both Trey's fate and that of the human race. Capa's confidence in the mission and its eventual success is contrasted with the reluctance of the crew and the extremism of Pinbacker. Both take the failure of Icarus I to mean that death is increasingly the only option, differing merely on how and when they wish to die.

Within this there is a discussion of the interests of the many versus those of the few. After a near-miss that leads to Kaneda's death and Trey's suicidal tendencies, the crew speculate about how best to conserve the oxygen. In doing so the films raises a number of interesting questions. Does prioritising the needs of the many actually erode our humanity - for instance, agreeing to kill Trey to have enough oxygen to deliver the payload? If so, are we losing the very thing that the payload is designed to preserve? Is there any point surviving if we have no morals or ideals to survive for?

The film also delves into theology, using both the mission and the villain as focal points for a discussion of God's nature. The Sun symbolises God, something or someone that can simultaneously be viewed as a benevolent creator or a needlessly vindictive tormentor. Boyle described Pinbacker as the embodiment of fundamentalism; where Capa uses the circumstances to shape his ideas through scientific observation, Pinbacker forces his ideas onto the circumstances and will not be dissuaded from his calling.

But much like Life of Pi last year, this is the point where Sunshine starts losing its grip. Both films are feasts for the senses which feel amazing when you watch them, but both are intellectually and theologically undernourished. There are lots of interesting jumping-on points, but none of them are fully seized upon. There is a difference between developing a sense of ambiguity and idly raising ideas in the hope of seeming profound, and Sunshine settles for the latter just a little too much.

The film's scientific inaccuracies have been widely documented, and for the most part the objections are valid: you couldn't 'restart' a sun with a bomb the size of Manhattan. But this is not a problem for the most part, since the science is a backdrop for an examination of themes and morals pertaining to the human condition. It becomes a problem in the final section, when the film shifts into horror territory and common sense is suspended in order to kill the cast and blow things up. The film suffers from the same basic problem as Event Horizon: it builds to great heights, and then takes the easy way out.

Sunshine is an engrossing and visually arresting film which delivers on enough of its substance to make it worth the trip. While it doesn't fulfil on all of its ideas or end in a way that's entirely satisfying, it is a well-directed slice of sci-fi melancholy which will burn its way into your memory. If nothing else it proves it is still possible to make sci-fi films about ideas - even if it took more than 8 minutes for audiences to catch on.
Adriel L

August 6, 2012
Fascinating and yet so extremely bone-chilling and blood shaking. Poignant and yet so deeply twisted and brutal. This one had me on the edge throughout, and what an experience it was to have to watch those oh so anxiety ridden and despairing scenes and yet achieve to be so emotional, with a little bit of the philosophical here and there. The images are fascinating and so grimly harrowing and poetically imprinted.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
"Sunshine" is definitely not for everyone, but if the right target audience has a chance to feast their eyes upon this film, they might just be blown away like I was. The sun has been burning out for years, and after a failed attempt by a ship called Icarus 1, a team will once again try to improve upon the tactics. Icarus 2 is now a go, and it becomes a race for the loss of oxygen and time. The entire cast, especially Cillian Murphy is jaw-dropping. Most of the time, I felt like I was watching a documentary at what real life astronauts go through on a day-to-day basis, but by saying all of this, I am completely and utterly overshadowing the amount of soul that this film delivers. By the end of the film, you will literally be in tears. I can't explain my love for this film, but it is one of my favourite Sci-Fi films! "Sunshine" is brilliant!
vieras e

April 1, 2012
Would have been so much better without the whole Pinbacker nonsense. Still, quite stunning.
Albert K

September 29, 2010
The follow-up to the ending makes it one of the best films ever. The pacing, the smart script, and the enthralling plot truly makes this movie a sci-fi movie that stands out of the pact... but the ending descends the movie tremendously. Still, the movie is a must watch.
Phil H

April 5, 2009
Strange one this, hard to decide I'm kinda on the fence over it.
First of all the film looks good, they have definitely taken pages out of the 'Alien' book for the look and feel of Sunshine. Its very much a bunch of everyday working astros living together to get a job done, even down to the 'sitting around a table drinking and talking' scenes which hark back to the 'Alien' scenes just before Mr Hurt has some bad indigestion.

The acting is stable, nothing great but good and the whole idea, though slightly implausible I must add, is a nice one and is brought alive really well, its space but not too stupid like 'Armageddon'.
The problem is its alittle dull for most of the time, all wind and not much fart and I did tend to lose the plot. It doesn't explain itself to well, and I found in alot of places its actually difficult to see what's going on because its so dark and the camera is flying about the place with flashbacks or what someones thinking, alittle surreal here and there. The secondary plot about one of the other spaceships crew going nuts and killing everyone is poor and doesn't fit the story frankly, again they are borrowing ideas and styles from other films such as 'Hellraiser' and 'Event Horizon'. This spoils the whole thing as it becomes a cheesy horror flick all of a sudden, if they had stayed to the more sensible side of things it would have been so much better.
I think it may grow on me, its quite good but not as good as I hoped, still I recommend it.
BG Movie Reviews
BG Movie Reviews

October 17, 2011
Before I even start reviewing this film, I would like to say thank you to a guy called William Beard, who recommended this film. As you can tell from the rating above I thoroughly enjoyed it; thanks Will!

Sunshine is a 2007 film directed by Danny Boyle about a team of scientists who are sent into space on a ship called the Icarus 2, armed with what is essentially a mega-nuke to try and re-ignite the sun to stop it from dying and prevent the end of the human race. The previous journey taking place 7 years ago failed, but for unknown reasons. Things start going wrong and the team find Icarus 1 and decide to board it because they were low on oxygen, allowing a very interesting tale unravel...

This film really blew me away! The story is quite clever and enticing, making it perfect to entertain yourself for an afternoon! The characters are well played, the atmosphere captured well, and the story told cleverly and effectively. And what made it brilliant was the ending. Not to give anything away, but it's one of those endings where you think that it's got possibly the best ending they could have done with the film! Definitely worth getting, and especially since I managed to pick my copy up for only 1!
Mark W

July 26, 2011
Ingredients for a top of the range sci-fi =
1 dollop of "Solaris".
Half oz of "Event Horizon".
1lb of "Mission to Mars".
A generous helping of "Alien".
And a sprinkle of "The Shining".
Give them to visionary director Danny Boyle to shake them up and...Voila.
In the not-too-distant future, the sun is about to die. A crew is sent to re-ignite it with a nuclear bomb; when they fail, a new team sets out to finish the job. But they find that flying to the least hospitable place in the solar system and staying sane and alive is no simple matter.
Boyle is Britain's very own Ang Lee in his ability to continually switch between genres. This is his attempt at Science Fiction and it's a damn good one at that. His use of atmosphere is the most striking thing about this, with eerie and highly effective sound effects and an excellent music score by Underworld adding to the overall sense of foreboding and creepiness. Using a multi-cultural cast also works in it's favour in the way that you don't know who will perish at any given moment, very much like Ridley Scott's "Alien". As mentioned above - and by most other viewers - it has a lot in common with several films of this genre and the denoument unfortunately turns more toward the "Event Horizon" side of horror. It doesn't entirely work and feels a little tacked on, as if Boyle and writer Alex Garland ran out of ideas. However, this is still an impressively handled and often powerful outing for Boyle.
A very underated addition to the science fiction genre and one of Danny Boyle's finest films. His collaborations with writer Alex Garland has produced consistantly good results.
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
It was a little long and it might be Danny Boyle's least best work. But it's still Danny Boyle so you know you're going to get an original idea with original
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 4, 2011
Sunshine is a very thrilling Sci Fi action film with a good idea. But by the films end, it becomes silly as the film takes on an almost Event Horizon style story line, which makes the last 20 minutes seem pretty bland, annoying and almost forget the terrific first half of the film. The film starts off great. A shuttle mission is sent to the sun to reignite the dying sun with a nuclear bomb. Which is a very good concept for a story, and it is. But like I've said, the story takes an Event Horizon haunted ship approach and it almost becomes a horror film, as the crew members try to fight whats real, whats not. I guess they were suffering from space dementia or something. The film is good and entertaining, the cast do a fine job. But the last half could have been much better. Danny Boyle crafts a film that holds you in suspense and is superbly, but because the ending was disappointing, and I do think that it could've been better plotted, I found that Sunshine was average. The film is good, but it feels silly by the time you reach the end. Danny Boyle has toned himself down a notch with this film, but it manages to be entertaining despite the ending being disappointing. Sunshine is an entertaining film that could have had a better ending. But theres plenty of things to enjoy about this film such as the good acting and solid effects.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
Sunshine is an etremely intense and entertaining movie. Its original and a great movie. Theres good acting and great special effects. I really liked the movie a lot. Everything was great until the last 30 minutes which what happened was unexpected but not in a good way. Im sure people have heard about the third act when it turns into a kind ov slasher movie. The final minutes of the movie is great though. I really liked the movie but I have several problems with it so i cant give it 5 stars but its still really good.

Grade: A-
Edward B

January 30, 2008
Sunshine is one of the smartest science fiction pictures of recent years. Danny Boyle offers his third masterpiece (behind Trainspotting and 28 Days Later).
We meet our crew aboard Icarus II, already en route to their mission: the sun, where they must send a bomb into its core that will reignite it and save the world from freezing to death. The crew are all tired, scared, and they are almost certain that they won't see their families again. Two of them are obsessed with seeing the sun as if it were like seeing God. Then things go wrong as the crew intercepts a distress call from Icarus I, the ship that disappeared six years ago and failed to complete its mission. The film becomes an edge-of-your-seat thriller while at the same time, never forgetting the heart of its story, seeing the best and worst of humanity in the most trying of circumstances. Brilliant filmmaking! This is the disaster picture Hollywood should have made a decade occur, instead of pumping out expensive crap like Armageddon and Deep Impact.
Christopher A

February 2, 2011
Visually stunning, Sunshine takes us on a mission to our dying star, mans last hope, blinding you with its brilliance along the way.

Danny Boyle delivers yet another masterpiece with Sunshine. The story follows a team as they aim to deliver their payload, a Stella bomb into
the heart of the dying Sun in hope of saving mankind. We watch as the crew members become fascinated and finally totally engrossed by the power of the Sun, raising
questions about God and their very being. A potential disaster to their mission injects an inevitable change of pace and race to complete their mission but its the
build up to that point where the film is the big winner for me.

As a fan of the sci fi genre and especially films where you get to 'hang out' with the characters, I think Sunshine is a fine example of how a Sci Fi film should be.
Exciting and thought provoking, Sunshine will burn its image into your mind long after you've closed your eyes.

"At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust. "
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

September 25, 2010
Danny Boyle is a filmmaker I have a lot of trouble with. While his films are always dazzling to look at ("28 Days Later", "The Beach") his films don't always grab me emotionally ("Trainspotting", "Slumdog Millionaire"); but it's with "Sunshine", his best film by far, that combines the stunning visuals and the intense characterizations he needs to be successful. With great performances from Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne and Chris Evans and some of the most dazzling images to ever be put to film, "Sunshine" is a rare sci-fi film that both makes you think and brings you into an entirely new perspective. Plus, the emotional impact (something along the lines of "Hearts of Darkness but in space), is something to behold.