Supercop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supercop Reviews

April 19, 2007
Great action, amazing stunt work. With a cast of Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Chung and Jackie Chan, it's hard not to enjoy.
DragonEyeMorrison
July 3, 2008
Some of the best action sequences you will find in any movie. One of the high marks in both Jackie and Michelle's career.
ScoopOnline
December 12, 2009
One the Jackie Chan Movies I hate to say it bored me
October 15, 2009
Depending on your whereabouts in the world, this film may go under any one of the following titles: Supercop 2 (USA), Once a Cop, Police Story 3 Part 2, Police Story 4: Project S, Police Story V, Project S (UK), Supercop (also UK). Whatever the title, do not be fooled into thinking that this is a Jackie Chan film; yes, he does appear in the movie, but only briefly and in a scene that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film.

Michelle Yeoh, however, plays the same character as she did in Police Story 3 (which was known as Supercop in the US and did star JC?are you keeping up?), a hard-as-nails mainland Chinese cop named Yang. She is called to Hong Kong to lend her expertise and assist in the apprehension of a gang of Chinese criminals who are pulling heists right left and centre and peeing-off the local cops.

The police operations are going swimmingly until Yang recognises one of the criminals as Cheng Feng, her boyfriend from China who left for HK to find his fortune, and the two become reacquainted under somewhat difficult circumstances.

With a decidedly routine plot, Project S needed to be something special in the action department in order to compensate, but despite some cracking fight action towards the end, there is far too much quiet time spent between bouts. The action is also geared towards gun-play rather than martial arts, so those expecting a full on fight-fest will be disappointed. That is not to say that Yeoh and co-stars don't display some wonderful skills from time to time; the high kicking action is pretty good when it happens?it just doesn't happen often enough.

The final half an hour, which has the gang attempt a daring bank robbery, offers the best dose of action, with Yang going up against a foe twice her size (and kicking ass, of course!).

Director Stanley Tong and star Michelle Yeoh have both made far better films than this, but if your expectations are not set too high, you may find Project S a reasonable way to spend your time (although 105 minutes was a tad too long for me!).
FilmFanatik
September 29, 2008
A fun action movie with Jackie Chan's usual bumbling character manner. Had a lot of fun watching this one.
jagfire
½ January 2, 2008
Classic Jackie Chan in his prime.
deano
July 8, 2007
Excitement and superb action. It is like watching a James Bond film, only with real death-defying stunts what Jackie Chan and Michelle Yoeh did. It's true - check out the end credits of this film.
garyX
March 26, 2007
The best of the Police Story movies, and possibly my favourite Jackie Chan. A bit grittier and less humourous than the others, with some truly spectacular stunts. And the magnificent Michelle Yeoh.
kpn666
½ June 24, 2006
Action Classic! - jackie rulez - but meet the female jackie - Michelle Yeoh - shes not as funny but kicks ass harder than jackie!!!
½ April 17, 2007
The best of the Police Story movies. This film features some awesome action and daring stunts (as to be expected), in particular, the Motorbike jump onto the moving train.
½ February 2, 2009
You might like this action film as "Chan" has never been better.
½ August 21, 2009
Good Jackie Chan movie. I love Jackie Chan, and this is one of his best. Supercop was a lot more violent than I thought it would be, and the story was well told and believable. Asian Screen goddesses Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung provide the support, and the stunts at times were jaw dropping, especially in a scene where Yeoh does a motorcycle jump onto a train. Also it was hard to tell who was the most kick-ass in this movie, as Yeoh was so awesome.
May 21, 2007
Made me a Michelle Yeoh fan.
January 31, 2007
Great follow up to the amazing Police Story with great stunts and another great Jackie performance.
½ December 30, 2014
Great movie. Supercop is an action-packed, funny adventure that proved Jackie Chan's skills early on in his career. It cleverly blends slapstick and martial arts, a story not completely original, great visual and technical effects, and great performances from Chan and Yeoh.
July 24, 2014
Saw a dubbed version when I would prefer the original language. I don't mind Jackie Chan - his martial arts skills are terrific, but I watched this for the double treat of Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung. The story is cookie cutter action with no need for thought. Average movie.
½ June 17, 2014
The combination of the casts engaging charisma, outstanding stunt work, exhilirating action scenes and delightful humor makes Supercop a fun film from start to finish.
½ June 6, 2014
What we need is a super cop.

A Chinese drug lord plagues Hong Kong. A Hong Kong detective is assigned a Chinese military officer to help bring the drug lord down. The detective is worried this mission may be more than he can handle and isn't sure his female comrade will alleviate his concerns. He will need to bring down the drug lord in an elusive but effective way. Can he work with his Chinese counterpart?

"She gave me her female back talk so I thought I'd teach her a lesson."

Stanley Tong, director of Rumble in the Bronx, Jackie Chan's First Strike, Supercop 2, The Legend of the Swordsman, and China Strike Force, delivers Supercop. The storyline for this picture is just okay and could have been better. The action scenes were pretty good and well choreographed and the comedic contest was entertaining. The acting is as you'd expect for the genre and the cast includes Jackie Chan, Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung, Wah Yuen, Kenneth Tsang, and Kim Penn.

"You and your sister are so affectionate."

Supercop is a movie I procrastinated on seeing again because I remember this being just another Chan picture. Watching it again it is a nice addition to the genre and entertaining. I wouldn't call this anything special or a must have for your martial arts DVD collection, but it is a must see for fans of the genre.

"You think I'm going to work with you again?"

Grade: C+/B (6.5)
May 28, 2014
If you need a reason to explain why Jackie Chan is my favorite action star of all time, just watch this.
½ May 26, 2014
A solid blend of action and comedy that features some pretty cool action sequences. If you like Martial Arts films then you should definitely check this out.