63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Reviews

Drake T

August 1, 2011
An improvement on Public Enemies, but the coming-of-age story of Kara really needs to have a stronger voice through all of the smash n' bash pizazz. It's entertaining stuff but doesn't exceed the constraints of its genre.
Jason S

February 9, 2011
A really good adaptation of the comic book storyline. I'm glad the voice talent from the original series managed to come back once again for this one. The art is good but there were some areas that didn't work for me with the male faces.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 5, 2011
Good movie, I enjoyed it. It was nice to know where Supergirl come from and the story behind it.

Batman discovers a mysterious teen-aged girl with super-human powers and a connection to Superman. When the girl comes to the attention of Darkseid, the evil overlord of Apokolips, events take a decidedly dangerous turn.
Beefy
Beefy

January 25, 2011
Another solid outing by DC's direct to DVD team. Only weakness is being overly familiar.
Conner R

January 8, 2011
It's just a little too bizarre for it's own good, but it's Batman and Superman. The animation in this was great, easily stronger than the first Superman/Batman animated movie. It actually looks a lot like Michael Turner's art, which is really honorable. However, the story just makes no sense at times and is more or less a watered down version of the story arc in the comic series. This completely worth it for Batman being ridiculously cool in every shot he appears.
deano
deano

July 29, 2010
Before the DC Comics animated movie, I remembered the plot when I read in the comic book - it was really interested to find out the journey of Kara aka Supergirl from her landing to Earth to the point where finds herself and her place in life.
The story is great and the action well placed. And while the story centers around Supergirl we also get to see Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman shine on their own. They compliment the story excellently.
There are awesome fight scenes each perfectly showing the abilities and strength of the characters.
Tim Daly, Kevin Conroy and Susan Eisenberg return comfortably to their DC Universe Animation roles of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Everyone else is perfectly cast, especially Summer Glau, lending much emotional weight and realism to the characters.
Lewis C

October 21, 2010
"To be honest, I'm not sure I've earned the right to wear this uniform. But I will."

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a decent animated adaptation of what I think is one of the better modern DC crossover stories, The Supergirl from Krypton. Basically, it's the introduction to the newest Supergirl, Kara Zor-El. Kara's discovery, training with the Amazon's, abduction by Darkseid, and the aftermath are all depicted, if in a severely abbreviated version. The story features all three of DC's most iconic heroes (Wonder Woman joins the two title characters), as well as Darkseid and a smattering of lesser known heroes and villains.

The animation is okay (but not spectacular), I had no complaints about the voice acting, and as I said, there is already a great story for this movie to use as a template. But it's so brief that important events speed by with little time to develop them or the characters. The movie finally rounds into fine form with the exciting finale, but overall you'll have a more satisfying experience from the comics. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will serve if you just want a little over an hour of DC action on your TV, as it's pretty action-packed and doesn't last nearly long enough to be boring.

For parents, as with other recent DC animated movies, this is aimed more at older teenagers and adults than younger kids. There's mild profanity and a healthy amount of violence, so keep that in mind. Nothing too extreme, though.
Luke B

October 1, 2010
I found Public Enemies to be disappointing. This was just an absolute mess. I was able to watch it, but it seemed so cheap and shoddy that I'm sure DC are churning these out for the cash. First of all, this shouldn't have Batman in the title. He's barely in it and when he is he's simply useless. He is also ALWAYS Batman, making him an incredibly flat character. Superman is just as dull as he usually is, only this time he comes off as a weird sexually obsessed cousin, as he tries to protect Supergirl. Not much of this makes sense. Wonder Woman arrives and attacks Supergirl, in an effort to demonstrate Supergirl's destructive powers "What if this had been the middle of the day and people were here?" Don't attack her then you dumb bitch. It seems more aimed at girls, which is fine, but then they should have put Supergirl in the title. Instead you might sit down to enjoy Batman and Superman, only to be treated to a shopping montage (I'm serious). Still some nice fights and stuff, but this storyline should be put to death. The one shots such as Under the Red Hood are far more impressive.
Michael G

September 28, 2010
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is better than their first pairing, Public Enemies. The story's quite a bit more epic with Apocalypse and the fights were way more amazing, namely the last 10 minutes at the Kent farm. I liked the animation more (like Public Enemies, it fit the original graphic novel source material pretty well) but the same problem I have with every DC universe extravaganza applied here: Batman just jumped around tossing batarangs and eventually made some crushing strategic move that pretty much wins the battle. Either that or not enough focus on Batman. Otherwise Apocalypse was good. Oh, the Green Arrow short was fantastic too.
Screeny
Screeny

September 16, 2010
[Skimmed Thoughts]

Batman: Under the Hood offers more of a story and is a bit more dark, but, this animated feature focuses more on Superman than Batman. DC ANIMATION has actually done quite well this year. I loved "Under the Hood" and enjoyed this one very much as well. The story from "Superman/Batman Apocalpse" isn't anything special, but, the action is pretty awesome and its a fun ride from beginning to end.
Dann M

June 28, 2012
DC Universe presents an exciting and action packed comic crossover event in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. When a kryptonite meteor shower hits Gotham it brings with it an escape pod carrying Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, who is being pursues by Darkseid to lead his legion of dark warriors. The voice talents of Tim Daly, Kevin Conroy, and Summer Glau lead the cast bring the characters to life. While the Superman and Batman crossover works well, the film tries for a trifecta by bringing in Wonder Woman; but the Wonder Woman aspects don't work and feels contrived. Yet, overall the story is solid and full of action and adventure. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a fun and entertaining animated feature that brings together some of DC's best characters.
Fascade F

May 14, 2011
The story finally told of the origin of Supergirl meeting her cousin Superman. As Superman's closest friends Batman and Wonder Woman help her adapt to the ways of being a member of Earth... a sinister overlord is in search of a worthy successor that he is sure would be a successful adversary under his evil and sinister tutelage. Strictly for cartoon heads that's an interesting adventure.
Sean S

October 18, 2010
I can't get enough of the DC animated stuff it is always so good. They continue the story of the Superman/Batman comic and bring in the heavy hitter of DC badguys Darkseid. Some good action and some good voice talent (although Michael Ironside is the quintessential Darkseid for me but that's just nitpicking Braugher is good).
John2223
John2223

September 27, 2010
"Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" keeps your interest from beginning to end. The storyline was good but the action was so much better. The fight scenes are all well done especially the final fight between Supergirl, Superman and Darkseid!
Remi L

July 18, 2010
Looooved it. Been waiting months for this DVD to come out! And I was very pleased that the studio got Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly to do the voices of Batman and Robin. I've only ever heard one voice actor pull off Batman as well as Conroy (Bruce Greenwood); I have yet to hear anyone come close to Tim Daly's Superman. Andre Braugher was great as Darkseid, he has such a booming and imposing voice. The ONLY problem with films like this is that they make me wish there were more episodes of Justice League Unlimited. My only other problem was the explanation of Supergirl's origins. In Superman the animated series, she was from a planet neighboring Krypton and she actually escaped with family members in stasis who died, leaving her behind in a ship. In this film, she's sent off in a ship just like Supe, but Superman is clearly older than her, so unless Krypton postponed blowing up for a good 20 years, I call "blooper." Other than that, loved the "Gotham Knight"/"Animatrix" style animation, the action was sooooo good; just two thumbs up!
Charlescyrusjr
April 7, 2013
One of the best action animations yet. Batman was will never dissapoint. And Darkside was just a Beast. LOL
June 9, 2013
Very close to source material, just like the previous Batman/Superman film. This time it has an amazing finale between Supergirl and Darkseid. Somebody was watching a lot of Dragonball Z before this got made.
June 22, 2011
Really Flixster? How about you save my reviews!

I saw this long time ago and never reviewed or rated it. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but then, I haven't read the comic it was based off or anything. Maybe I'll re-watch it some time once I've seen "Public Enemies" or gone through the rest of the DCAU films.
kenscheck
August 13, 2012
This sequel to "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies" isn't as entertaining as the first film. It contains just as much action, at times maybe a bit too much, but it's story might be a bit tighter. It essentially involves a plot with the villain Darkseid and Superman's cousin, who of course becomes Supergirl. There are less tangents in this one than in the first, but there comes a point when you just want the action to end...and some story to begin. Also not nearly enough of Batman in this one. In fact this should've canned the Dakr Knight and focused the story a little bit more on the Superman and Supergirl storyline. It works slightly less than the first film, but neither is especially great.