—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Sure Thing Reviews

Red L

October 14, 2013
John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga play university students who take a whole movie to realize they are meant for each other. The movie-going public are aware of it from the moment we see them, but these two think they despise each other. A fun 90 minutes!
movieguru12
movieguru12

March 22, 2008
Another film that shows you that 1985 was the best year of the 80s. This movie shows you how John Cusacks character, Gib grows up, and decides that why hook up with a sure thing when the real thing was there all along. This movie is an 80s classic! I would also recommend this movie to people who want to laugh as well. :) It's a classic movie! :) I love it :) :) :) :) :) :)
Jennifer X

April 28, 2011
Mamma mia John Cusack was so hot in this movie! The dialogue was really snappy and I like how the ending was resolved only at the very, very last minute - screwballian, in a way. Rob Reiner was definitely in his prime in the 80s.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A fantastic drama/comedy about true love and life. It has a good cast, and a great story. I love it.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 6, 2009
CAST: John Cusack, Daphne Zuniga, Anthony Edwards, Tim Robins, Nicollette Sheridan, Boyd Gaines

DIRECTED BY: Rob Reiner

SUMMARY: A college student plans a cross-country trip to get laid, but ends up traveling with a young woman. She can't stand him, and he just wants to get to L.A., where a sexy "sure thing" is waiting to greet him with open arms.

MY THOUGHTS: I really love the 80's movie's. Especially the ones with John Cusack. He has been my favorite for a long time and still is. This movie is like clean version of our todays American Pie, and films like those. The story isn't nothing new. It's been done many times. Girl and boy hate each other, but secretly love each other. Girl is stuck up, boy is fun and carefree. Opposites attrack. So the ending is obvious, but it's the ride you take to the ending that makes this movie great. It's completely character driven and the actor's make the character's feel real and honest. Great movie and well worth the watch.
Conner R

December 1, 2009
Hilarious and one of my favorite John Cusack movies. It's a great teen comedy. The humor is really mature and the plot is above what you might expect. The characters are very real, but also entertaining and charismatic. I think that even though it does have some cliches, they're done in a way so it doesn't feel like they are trying to claim it's original.
A B

October 9, 2007
Cusack doing what he does best. Some very good jokes and a must-see teen flick.
Cindy I

June 9, 2007
I've never been a romcom fan, except for the ones with John Cusack. He can be a sap in love and it not seem hokey. This is an early one, but one of the best. Two total opposites in more ways then gender go on a road trip from the Northeast to California over college Christmas break. Been done before, but rarely this well.
garyX
garyX

February 9, 2007
I don't "get" a lot of the more popular 80s comedys, but I've always had a soft spot for this one. The ever likeable John Cusack is one reason, the fact it was directed by Rob Reiner straight after Spinal Tap is probably the other!
Antony S

October 23, 2006
Knowing high-school comedy. Cusack is excellent and illustrates great promise, and Tim Robbins gives neat support ("My name's Gary Cooper. Not the dead one, of course!"). Most of the plot revolves around Cusack's inability to grow up, but he's so good in this film you hardly want him to! It does suffer from a hyper-ubrupt ending, though.
Marcus W

February 6, 2013
Very likeable, and very decent 80's coming-of-age teen love story...with no baked apple goods.
divinetrash
divinetrash

March 1, 2008
John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga play total opposites who must stay together for a road trip on their way to California for her to reunite with her boyfriend and him to meet a "sure thing". Do you think they will eventually realize they're better off with each other?!?!?!?!?!?!? The Sure Thing offers nothing new in terms of surprises or an original idea, basically being a youtful retelling of It Happened One Night, but it makes up for with Cusack's charming performance and funny moments throughout.
chadroesti
chadroesti

March 9, 2007
Since Peachy Leetz is getting the Sex Drive movie, I think I will get this baby on Netflix since it is basically a remake with a more revealing title of course. As I remember it (it was the 80's) John Cusack is a college student and a Virgin *gasp* Somehow he finds out some hot chick across the country is a "sure thing" and will give it up for him. (Makes me wonder about the gullibility of all the people on this site...hmm) Anyway, Next thing you know John is hitching rides across the country and as I remember it is funny and has a flash or two of breastsssseess. I have a feeling this is the better of the two movies.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
A favorite.
mingsysar
mingsysar

February 17, 2006
Typical guys, but Cusack keeps this going.
December 4, 2011
November 19, 2011
My gloat that I done with all the romantic movies there's out to see, except Casablanca of course, was ill founded. The Sure Thing was a sure miss if I hadn't picked it off a must see list from some random website. Do not miss it if you haven't seen it already. Re run it if you have.
Join in the joy when Gibs finally kisses Alison. :)
NuditysShiver
April 10, 2011
Unlikely couple, Walter Gibson (John Cusack) and Allison Bradbury (Daphne Zuniga), make a cross-country trip from New England to California to visit their significant others; more like Gibson is hoping the girl he's meeting will be "the sure thing". John Cusack has always been the one to go to for eighties romantic comedies, or romantic comedies in general. His character always seems to fit the bill for those types of roles. The Sure Thing offers Cusack to portray his signature character, being that love-struck or stricken guy hoping to find that ideal girl. Along the way, he always adds his tongue-in-cheek witticism; maybe his most prized possession in his acting arsenal. Daphne Zuniga always had that girl-next-door look and here it shines ever so brightly. Even when her character is being a tight prude, she still seems to give off that cutesy feel to her persona. The Sure Thing is one of the top films of the eighties and one of Cusack's early great acting roles.
sosinsk1
March 25, 2011
Going back, watching some old (80's) John Cusack movies. I was entertained from beginning to end. The 80's teen comedies just have a certain flavor all their own. There is a real innocence to this one, as the worst behavior exhibited is some under-age drinking. I love the chemistry between Cusack and Zuniga. Zuniga plays the perfect up-tight overachiever and Cusack is charming as the party boy.

The movie follows these two characters as they make their way from the East Coast to California. They rent riding space with the same couple as part of a ride share & they already hate each other. They get kicked out on the freeway after Cusack convinces Zuniga to do something "crazy" and they must make their way to California with very little resources, since this was before cell phones.

A lot of fun.
March 20, 2010
This one is still a fun ride, Cusack's a charismatic guy and the film holds up rather well after all these years. It;s fun to watch Zuniga's character come out of her icey demeanor, especially once we finally meet the Mr. Wonderful she's spent the film judging Cusack against.

Well worth another look.