Surfer, Dude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surfer, Dude Reviews

jjnxn
½ November 13, 2009
Dumb but harmless. Go into it with no expectations but that it will be a throwback to late 70's-early 80's mindless flicks like The Malibu Bikini Shop and it's ilk and you're in the right frame of mind for this.
July 8, 2010
It's a pretty alright summer movie. One of those 'do what you love and the rest will fall in to place' films. I can dig it and I can't get enough of the surfer vibe ever since i saw POINT BREAK LIVE.
March 23, 2010
OH MY GOD! This movie is so bad that it deserves to be likeable for laughing at. Matthew McConaughey digs an extremely large hole to die in in this film. He is one of the worst actors ever. He was funny in Fool's Gold, but then he went to bed. This movie is one of the worst movies I've ever seen period. Damn I wish I could have seen this coming before I watched it! There is no reason why it should have been thought of!
½ June 8, 2009
Ah, the holy grail of Matthew McConaughey shirtless flicks. I'm not even going to go over the plot of this film because there is no plot. There's just this massive, disemboweled thing quivering on screen for 75 minutes (there's 10 minutes of credits and goat footage at the end. I shit you not). This film is so horrible that if someone had shown it to a prisoner at Gitmo then said person showing this film would justly be put on trial for crimes against humanity. Yes, this movie is an unholy thing that needs to be purged from society at once. Gregory Peck should stab this fucking thing at the altar to make sure there are no sequels. I've caught myself drooling since watching this film, not that I'm hot for the stars bod, but I've been rendered brain damaged by this steaming piece of shit film. I'm learning to use the left side of my body again and I've almost stopped shitting my pants. This film kills more brain cells than Lee Harvey Oswald.
MANUGINO
April 1, 2009
Tubular, awesome, cowabunga dude!!! jaja this is a dude surfer movie very clearly. Longboarding soul-surfer Steve Addington returns to Malibu for the summer to find his cool hometown vibe corrupted. New sponsorship demands Addington to expand into Virtual Reality Video Games and Reality TV. Unwilling to participate in this new digital-reality, he chooses to spend his summer surfing his home break. But in a twist-of-fate, the waves go flat and stay flat. Out of money, his expense-accounts canceled, and betrayed by his buddies, Addington is backed into a harsh corner. He must endure the insanity that comes with no waves or give into "the Man" and his new, reality-altering machines. Aided by his manager, his mentor, his guardian-angel and his summer lover, Addington has a chance of keeping his cool, but it's not going to be easy. The dude needs a wave, and there's never been a drought like this.
mwilliams078
½ January 4, 2009
Surfer Dude with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson has some funny scenes but overall not worth seeing. A movie that even at the 90 min run time seemed a bit dragged out.
SC007
½ August 1, 2009
From viewing the trailer for the film, I had a feeling that I wasn't gonna like the film and after seeing the film, I was right. McConaughey has to stop playing these kinds of roles. He comes off as a really bad impersonation of Patrick Swayze's character from Point Break. Both him and Woody Harrellson were much better in Ed TV than this film. The only positive thing about this film, is Jeffrey Nordling, who does a good job, given what he has to work with, and makes this film watchable.
October 26, 2008
An exceedingly mellow mid-life crisis comedy, brah.
jim222001us
November 28, 2009
I think the Matthew McConaughey that showed talent in a Time to Kill is long gone. Now, I think he just works-out, lights up a joint and yells...Action! This movie is right up his alley....an hour and 28 minutes of being shirtless.

The plot ? Matthew McConaughey plays a surfer, he smokes weed, has sex a lot and walks around shirtless through-out. There's also a lot of T&A. There's not much surfing since there hasn't been many waves of late in the film. There's mostly just scenes of him doing virtual surfing, but he rather just do the real thing and be a surfer....dude!. The movie is dull. If you want to see a movie that has great surfing scenes, then check out Point Break.
½ January 30, 2016
A bit goofy in parts, with uneven acting performances, but in general a good movie with a great soundtrack and cinematography.
June 21, 2015
An incomprehensible mess of epic proportions; a movie about the most strange and inane plots and subplots all somehow tying into one another, all made so much sweeter by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson's confusingly-good performances. Matthew McConaughey is shirtless for over 90% of this movie and that is only one small aspect of why this film is such a disastrous masterpiece.
½ April 7, 2014
"Well I just want you to know, dude, you just harshed my morning mellow."-Jack Mayweather (Woody Herrelson)

Bro, like why don't any of this suits like this movie, dude?

"I surf, and I'm a surfer, out theeeere."-Steve Addington (Matthew McConaughey)
February 9, 2014
This was a great movie. I fee like it is completely under appreciated. Is it super well produced? No, it wasn't meant to be. It is what it is.

The soundtrack is amazing, and the main character is great. Matthew McConaughey does a great job of creating this guy who has no attachment to society as we know it, but is able to maintain positive spirits otherwise. He's not an addict who is flagrantly promoting drug use, but an idealization of what people think of as a "soul surfer." I think this is a great movie based on the interactions between the characters, and the natural suaveness of McConaughey's character, despite his apparent obliviousness to this effect that he has on everyone around him. It's a supremely positive movie with a positive message. Live with less, love more, and do what you want to do without looking back to see who you pissed off.
½ November 29, 2011
pretty good movie not as funny as i thought it was gonna be a lot of tits which i enjoy smoked a lot of pot and i can only say one word to sum up this movie dude
½ November 15, 2011
This is a complete fucking mess. Even the attraction of Mathew McConaughey being shirtless all the way through can't help it one bit. Marked at 85 minutes but you get at least 10 minutes of credits. That's pretty lame. I expected some stoner comedy and teachings of the surfer's philosophy. I got none of that. Despite the claimed genre of comedy, this only barely qualifies. Aside from a few funny lines here and there, this is really not a funny movie. It doesn't even seem to be intended as such. Perhaps it was supposed to be a surfing movie instead, which it might have accomplished, if not for the remarkable lack of actual scenes involving people surfing. So I guess sadly Blue Crush remains the best surfer movie out there. Instead I got zero plot and a character who just wonders aimlessly. It's as if they gave him a bong and followed him with a camera. But hey, maybe I just don't have enough laid-back beach bum in me to appreciate something like this. It was after all a good-looking production, with good acting, lots of hot women in bikinis and lots without, and pretty beach scenery. But then again you can get that from an issue of National Geographic. So skip this one and don't look back.
½ April 4, 2011
i absolutely love this movie...i would have to say its one of my guilty pleasures...see i sit here watching a movie that i can just kick back and enjoy the simple plot of basically what would one do or how would one feel if the one thing that makes you feel whole or something thats a huge part of your life is just gone. maybe im giving it too much credit and maybe it is a pointless stupid stoner movie.but while watching this movie and listening to things Addington says about how he feels about having the waves not be there for him i understood that. i know im going to be judged for that fucking statement. either way a way to just enjoy without having to be all worked up from plot twists and complexitys of plot development....here you are given simplicity and it works
½ February 20, 2011
Knowing most of the Pacific Islands and living on the small island of Kauai, this movie is a damn insult! It isn't pathetic to say that this movie is for stoners slash burners.
I regret ever watching this, a total complete waste of my time!
That's it, no more comment on this horrible, stoned out movie (imagine being stoned for an hour, just siting there watching a bunch of grown ups wasting their time on Ganja.)
10%
October 30, 2010
Wow, this movie was shockingly boring. I was expecting a fun movie, but realized pretty fast that it wasn't. Boring and predictable.
½ October 26, 2010
August 2, 2010
I really liked the chill vibe throughout the whole movie. A conflict of a surfer wanting to surf for fun or for fame was an interesting concept. Maybe it's because I can relate to the characters, but I liked seeing the interactions with his friends the most. While the movie does have its funny moments, you can tell a lot of the parts that was supposed to be funny fell flat. I also didn't like that I had to watch Matthew McConaughey shirtless through most of the movie. In the end, it was a decent stoner movie and it had a nice message of staying true to yourself.