44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Swamp Thing Reviews

Spencer S

March 5, 2013
One of the better received and critically lauded films of Wes Craven's early career; "Swamp Thing" has a long and fortuitous history that I for one never could have foreseen. Originally a DC comic (eventually Vertigo Comic) of the same name, Swamp Thing was billed as an action film, starring the same characters from the comics. Craven has said that this was film was a send-up of the monster movies of the thirties and forties, including "The Creature from the Black Lagoon." The film is definitely more action than horror, containing far more scenes of boats launching off algae covered rocks than anything akin to monster movie magic. The story is set in the swamps of Louisiana, following a group of scientists who are working with plant life. Dr. Alec Holland (Wise) is heading the project, and has just found that he has discovered a way to grow plants on organic materials, including wood. Government agent Alice Cable (Barbeau) appears on the scene, wearing her heels and gender neutral clothing, and falls for the scientist. Inadvertently Dr. Holland is transformed into the mutated being of the swamp thing thanks to the raiding of the compound at the hands of Arcane's henchmen. Most of the film contains swamp thing taking care of the defenseless and frankly ignorant Cable, who keeps getting captured, or run down by boats, and the highly weaponized men atop them. Looking more like a cheap eighties horror film (which it is) than the action film promised, "Swamp Thing" still did surprisingly well with critics and even spawned a nineties television show. Still, there's nothing new or extraordinary about this underwhelming film, except maybe the crafted movie makeup of stuntman Dick Durlock; otherwise it's as trashy as it looks.
Luke B

May 15, 2011
A rather embarrassing film that offers nervous chuckles as it's biggest form of entertainment. With someone like Wes Craven, I expected at least a bit of suspense or terror. Instead I got a slapstick comedy that wasn't very funny. Luckily my love of monsters, bad movies, and the character in general, made me enjoy it enough. There are some great things. A badass female scientist puts up a fight before being taken. A large lumbering villain has a soft heart etc. It's just all too familiar, and the suit is atrocious for any age/budget. It just looked like one big human sized green condom with a face. By the end, we see Swamp Thing fight against a big ginger pig monster wielding a sword. At this point is seems like the film goes undirected.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An interesting monster movie, a little late on the scene, monster movies weren't so popular anymore in the 80s I don't think. It's not bad, but it's not good either.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
Kind of underwhelming like seeing Barbeau's boobs. Sigh...
David Hess anyone?
Conner R

August 17, 2010
It definitely has a comic book atmosphere that most adaptions lack. However, it is plagued with a light story that never really takes off and becomes as interesting as its source material. I actually kind've like that the suit looks so fake, it fits for the style Wes Craven was creating. The performances also help in that, with some truly ridiculous henchmen. The locations, music and transition effects are just too perfect. It feels almost like a segment out of Creepshow, which is a huge compliment in my book. Adrienne Barbeau also tosses in a truly lovable performance, she practically carries the entire movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 16, 2010
Guaranteed to make you have a good time, Swamp Thing is a terrific super hero horror film. The film definitely suffers from bad acting and bad special effects, but its just that, that makes this film so good. Flawed on so many levels, this film is great. Swamp Thing looks like a guy in a rubber suit and the dialogue is cheesy and unoriginal.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 9, 2009
Wes Craven is a random director. In my opinion he always comes up with new Original ideas.
Cassandra M

September 13, 2009
Swamp Thing was a comic book character created by DC Comics, the same company who made Batman, Superman, The Flash etc. Legendary horror director Wes Craven is well known for creating films like The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream etc. In 1982 Wes Craven wrote and directed the live action movie adaptation to DC comics hero Swamp Thing, the film is a low budget B-movie that surely is great fun to watch. One funny thing is that Swamp Thing is supposed to have comical elements to it but the film takes it self too seriously and the comedy elements seem so small compared to it's sequel Return of the Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing costume is pretty cool and looks effective, the acting is fine. Swamp Thing is a fun comic book adaptation that's should be seen.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Swamp Thing" isn't one of the best movies ever made, but it's still great. Dr. Alec Holland (Ray Wise) has just made a formula that will make plants grow tremendously in a short period of time. All is going well until some madmen show up wanting to steal his formula, and they won't let anything stand in their way of doing so. Dr. Alec Holland is nearly killed by the madmen, but instead, the new formula changes him into Swamp Thing. That's an interesting twist. If a person drinks the formula, it will change them into what they really are inside. For example, if you have strong wills and power, it will change you into something even more powerful and smart. On the other hand, if you're crazy and not so powerful, the formula will make you crazier and weaker. Dr. Alec Holland turns into a smarter and more powerful creature with healing powers called Swamp Thing.
It's up to Swamp Thing to survive the terror of the bad guys and rescue Cable (Adrienne Barbeau).

If you like sci-fi movies with interesting twists, I recommend getting "Swamp Thing." It's a great movie and it's a good movie to watch even after you've seen it several times. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I've always loved this movie...wouldn't been a cool cartoon.
Michael G

November 28, 2006
Swamp Thing is nowhere nearly as good as I remember it to be. You spend the first hour wondering where the hell this is going then when it happens its so incredibly ridiculous (as in the kind of ridiculous that demands an apology) that you begin to wonder how the hell Wes Craven was ever allowed to make another movie. The dialogue is hysterical, almost as hysterical as Louis Jourdan's uh... transformation at the end. I'll give one star to David Hess (as a guy named Ferret no less) and another to Adrienne Barbeau's exploitative side boob shot and cleavage in general. Normally I don't like to go so scumbag with my commentary but they're hypnotic. You probably need to be engaging in some kind of vice to fully appreciate or even enjoy Swamp Thing because even for a B-movie it asks you to suspend a lot of disbelief. And where the hell was Adam West? Seriously...
Phil H

December 8, 2008
With a now classic cast lineup this original comic conversion just about keeps it head above the swamp hehe it looks VERY dated now and really tacky to be honest, all the effects are lame and the costumes poor.

But it is a cult classic due to the brilliant comic monster and as said the cult cast.
Jason S

February 6, 2008
It's been a while but I think it was ok.
deano
deano

October 8, 2006
The special effects, thrills, chills and slime were average in this based on DC Comics film.
Juan C

June 21, 2012
This is really for people who enjoy campy movies, and as far as campy movies goes, this is campy, really campy, but it's really doing justice and Really sticks to the comics, it's really enjoyable to watch, despite it's actual looks. B-
Alec B

January 29, 2009
There are a lot of fun campy moments, but they can only sustain the film's momentum for so long.
Marcus W

June 7, 2008
Yes, Swamp Thing is less well known than Wonder Woman. Yes, the costume is laughable. Yes, it's low budget. And yes, it does culminate with two men wearing rubber suits hitting each other in a swamp. But all that's okay because Craven has actually made the effort to put in a decent enough plot (by comic book standards) and characters you care about. It even has tits and explosions - though not in that order.
It's no Dark Knight (hell, it's no Punisher) but it's still worth 88 minutes of your time.
chadroesti
chadroesti

January 13, 2010
OH MAN! This movie really has not stood up to the test of time and really has nothing to do with the comic except the title. Slow and boring. Didn't really like it when I was a kid and still don't
Christopher B

November 29, 2007
Dumb fun from Craven. I guess that's the best you can expect from the man
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 9, 2007
Wejey...Really daft,.
February 4, 2013
I know this wasnt supposed to be great, rather campy fun, but man was this bad, its just silly at times, having read some of alan moores swamp thing, i know how you can make the swamp thing good, but they go for none of that here, none of the acting is that good, and the effects pretty laughable, and it wasnt even bad in a fun way, the only good character was david hess, it needed more of him