Sweet Liberty Reviews

mwilliams078
March 16, 2008
what a cute movie with a young Michelle Pfeiffer, Michael Caine, Alan Alda, and Lillian Gish.

This movie was written, directed and starring Alan Alda whom did a good job. Alda is a writer who's book is being turned into a movie with Caine and Pfeiffer. This movie shows what a Hollywood crew can do to a little town while filming...it is too crazy.
November 9, 2012
Fun lighthearted story with killer cast on their game.
April 15, 2012
With such an impressive line up including Michael Caine, Michelle Pfieffer, Alan Alda, Bob Hoskins et al, I was expected something at least amusing. I would have to say that this film offered my friend and I many laughs, but probably not of the expected kind... it was more like, "OMG how bad is this movie"! This one goes on the Special Shelf of Really Crappy Movies that get hauled out when I've had too much to drink and don't know any better. Frightful acting by Lise Hildboldt whose wide eyed, soppy smile and smug delivery made me wish I could give her a smack on the forehead with a spoon added to the hilarity. Alan Alda valiently gave us wise cracking, morally outraged Hawkeye Pierce in his native Crabapple Cove. As for Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins and Michelle Pfeiffer, what was their excuse? DId Alda have something over them? Was he calling in favours? Whatever it was, the adage, "You are only as good as your last movie" means that none of them would have included this on their CV! The best fun was picking out familiar faces in the extras, not least of all a couple of cast members from Scrubs Now I understand why this was in the $2 bin at Target!.
½ May 15, 2011
Great little trifle. Nice date flick, esp for those who love behind-the-scenes movie stuff!
May 28, 2010
Charming film. Feather light, and shallow as hell, but its' sunny disposition makes it hard to resist

Alda stars and directs this movie about the problems a professor / writer faces when his beloved book about a woman living during the Revolutionary War, is transformed into a movie.

As the movie company takes over his small New England town at the start of summer, Alda soon realizes the cruel and sometimes silly compromises he is forced to make to appease the filmmakers.

Wonderful supporting cast headed by a luminous Michelle Pfieffer, that Alda falls for as the embodiment of his wartime heroine, but soon realizes she also is a facade

Bob Hoskins brings high energy as the Hollywood scribe who Alda fights with over every word and scene change. And old pro Michael Caine, as a womanizing cocky lead actor, could of been a cliche, but he brings delight and nuance to the role.

The end of the movie is bittersweet. The summer is over and the film company is packing up and leaving the small town, and we, and Alda soon realize, despite all the grief and misadventure, we will miss them.

For me, that's always the sign of an enjoyable movie.
....