Swimmers Reviews

½ September 22, 2008
Fantastic and beautiful. Paulson was excellent in this role.
May 21, 2014
In spite of some continuity issues and a story that seemed rushed and a bit disjointed, especially in the early going, I found myself drawn into this family portrait. The story is told from the viewpoint of a lonely eleven year-old girl who becomes friends with an older girl, played by Sarah Paulson. The young girl, Emma (Tara Devon Gallagher), is facing surgery on her ear to save her hearing, but her family is struggling financially and cannot afford the operation. As her family slowly disintegrates from the financial pressures, she finds refuge with Merrill, who can be very real and tender with Emma, but exhibits unstable characteristics with men closer to her own age. Not a lot of star power here (the only other name I recognized was Cherry Jones, who played Emma's mother), but the cast was quite believable as these small-town folk, just trying to live their lives of quiet desperation. I found it interesting to see Paulson in an early role.
January 7, 2013
This is another superb indie film. Indie productions do not fill the megaplex, but can be a breath of fresh air. I just saw this one for the second time in several years. I didn't intend to watch it all the way through; I just started it to remind myself of the interesting, quirky characters. And I ended up watching it all the way through again. Great performances by some very fine actors. I recommend it highly. In fact, I challenge you to watch a film that isn't showing at the megaplex. It's an instant viewing choice right now on Netflix.
March 16, 2012
A beautifully acted independent film that takes place here on the eastern shore of Maryland.