Sympathy for Delicious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sympathy for Delicious Reviews

½ November 23, 2011
Am I rooting for the underdogs these days? I was mesmerized by this movie, yet others seemed to not like it.....Great cast. Captivating. Raw, without being cheap. This is a story largely revolving around religion and music, but mostly having to do with personal struggles, and ethics. Well done film, with a very satisfying ending. Personally, I think that Mark Ruffalo has a promising career as a director.
LWOODS04
December 30, 2009
Cast:Mark Ruffalo, Christopher Thornton, Orlando Bloom, Juliette Lewis, Laura Linney, John Carroll Lynch, Noah Emmerich, James Karen, Nathan Wetherington

Director:Mark Ruffalo

Summary: Struggling for survival on the rough streets of Los Angeles, newly paralyzed DJ "Delicious" Dean O'Dwyer gains the supernatural ability to heal the sick. But he uses the gift to capitalize on his dreams of rock success in this offbeat drama. Written by Thornton, Mark Ruffalo's directorial debut also stars Orlando Bloom as the front man of a rock band and Laura Linney as the group's persistent manager.

My Thoughts: "I wish I could say I loved the film and that Mark Ruffalo did an amazing job at directing. But I just didn't care for the movie or it's character's. The directing was a bit shaky. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I know this story has to do with what Mark's friend Chris kind of went through with trying healing techniques. Orlando Bloom wasn't at all impressive in this role. I'm not sure if it was his acting or the character. I liked Juliette Lewis in this. The story just doesn't play out well. It was just OK and I wish I could say some positive things about the film since I am a big fan of Mark's, but honestly the film fell flat as well as the acting."
Harlequin68
½ October 14, 2012
In "Sympathy for Delicious," Dean(Christopher Thornton, who also wrote), a paraplegic, is disappointed at the lack of results when he is dragged to see a preacher(John Carroll Lynch) by his friend Rene(Noah Emmerich). Dean gets more tangible results from Father Joe(Mark Ruffalo, who directed), a more down to earth man of god, who wants Dean to move out of his car and into an assisted living facility but Dean is holding out for an SRO. On a professional level, Ariel(Juliette Lewis) likes Dean's DJ work so much that she invites him into her band, over the objections of their manager Nina(Laura Linney) who has apparently never heard punk rock before. And that's when news of Dean's healing ability starts to leak out.

Mark Ruffalo is definitely one of the best actors around right now but sadly with his first directorial effort "Sympathy for Delicious," does not show the same level of aptitude, with a fondness for stunt casting and cliched shots of the Los Angeles River. To be fair, I do not think the most experienced of directors would have had much luck with this very uneasy mix of magic realism and rock and roll. So as much as I appreciate any effort to explore the plight of the homeless, wading into Ken Russell's old territory of music gods should never be for the faint of heart.
SC007
February 25, 2012
Ruffalo's directorial debut was so so. The film reminded me of the film, The Touch with Skeet Ulrich and Christopher Walken, however, I thought that film was better. Ruffalo had a good idea for a film but didn't execute it correctly I thought Christopher Thornton was miscast in the lead role. Ruffalo should have gone with another actor like Sam Rockwell for that role. All of the other actors in this ensemble did a good job. I hope Ruffalo's next film that he directs, will be better.
½ November 30, 2011
There is enough going on in this Mark Ruffalo production to keep things interesting, but never outstanding. Christopher Thornton is a new enough face to keep the film exciting, yet the dialogue and plot tend to hold him down. Ruffalo's performance compliments the film nicely, but over all, the rest of the cast misses their mark, or perhaps never even reaches it.
mattsigur1
½ September 5, 2011
I had high hopes for this film since I heard Ruffalo was directing it and The Besnard Lakes were doing the music. However, after reading the reviews, I figured it was probably one of those mishandled films/vanity projects.
And I was wrong.
This is an interesting little parable, sort of like Jose Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ. Christopher Thornton plays a down-on-his-luck, homeless DJ who finds the power to heal. Absurdly and feeling used by the local priest, he goes on the road with a local touring band and becomes a circus act and danger to himself and others.
Ruffalo is once again amazing. The film isn't bad, and it shows Ruffalo's eye for great performances (except for Orlando Bloom, who manages to infuse his performance with Lord of the Rings-style bullshit).
The film, while telling a fantasy/Catholic guilt story, has realistic portrayals that make up for time lapses and kept me interested and pinned. A lot of films that touch on these themes would probably make the whole thing a carnival, but because of the nuance and amazing atmosphere, I felt compelled, even touched. I don't know what I and critics were expecting. It's no masterpiece, for sure, but it's a lot better than the other films that have been released this year. These days, that's more than enough.
½ June 28, 2013
This little film directed by one of my favorite actors, Mark Ruffalo (who also starred in it), was somewhat disappointing. Although ridiculous, the storyline was actually an interesting concept in its infancy. But unfortunately, the longer it matured on the screen the more uneven in became until the storyline unraveled altogether. The acting and directing were solid and the visuals were there, which helped the film remain watchable all the way to its disappointing conclusion. I was sad to see a film with Ruffalo so poorly wasted. Do yourself a favor, stay away -- 4.5/10.
June 20, 2013
The plot fell off for a period of time. The film sometimes felt uninteresting. Its strong ending is what mainly kept it all together. Some of the characters were really fun to watch, others not so much. Overall, this movie was slightly above average.
January 29, 2013
Overacted, overwritten, overwrought and unwatchable. Well that may not be quite fair, the cinematography is quite good except for the excessive shaky-cam. But the phony story is unbearable, the pseudo punks unbelievable and the fake priests are undeniable. Who finances trash like this? Save your 90 minutes.
January 17, 2012
a Homeless D.J. in a wheelchair has healing powers a priest exploits him for his powers, and eventually goes on tour with a band Juliet Lewis plays one of the guitarists & Orlando Bloom the lead singer. Was an interesting story (why wasn't this in theaters around here. Maybe art house type & we no longer have one.) C+
November 7, 2011
An absolutely amazing dramatic emotional and enjoyable movie. Highly recommend this to watch. You will not be disappointed. A bit heavy on the religious overtones at times, BUT a great movie!
½ January 29, 2010
The movie presents its premise in a somewhat intriguingly unprepossessing way, but abandons any deeper exploration of its crisis of faith or, indeed, just human existence -- all to hopelessly middling effect.
September 27, 2011
The title makes no sense unless you know the main character's DJ name is "Delicious D". Sympathy for Delicious is well-respected actor, Mark Ruffalo's (The Kids Are All Right, Zodiac, Shutter Island) directorial debut and it was penned by one of his long-time friends who happens to play D (Christopher Thornton, a paraplegic who wrote the screenplay because of the lack of roles available to him in Hollywood). D was an up-and-coming music DJ in the rock world of SoCal until he is injured and finds himself confined to a wheelchair ... the story begins after this has happened and we find D living out of his car on Skid Row where he comes to the attention of a local priest played by Ruffalo. After a chance encounter with a fellow homeless man, D finds out he has been given a Divine gift and can miraculously heal others (alas ... he is unable to heal himself). The priest puts him to work doing God's will ... until D gets it in his head that he should be making TONS of money for healing people and he makes a name for himself with the help of an odd rock group that decides to cash-in on his abilities (Orlando Bloom [Lord of the Rings, Elizabethtown] and Juliette Lewis [Cape Fear, Strange Days] play fellow bandmates). By making such a spectacle of himself ... D opens himself up for all kinds of scrutiny and he isn't up to the task of taking it all in. It doesn't help that his lone friend in the band, Lewis, sees him as a sell-out which causes her to spiral out of control. Bad things happen ... and I didn't believe much of it (but with this premise ... come on) which makes THIS story that much harder to accept. If there are some major stretches taken early-on, why is there no leeway later?! It is simply the errors of screenwriting 101 I am sure ... but this is a difficult story to make humorous. I viewed it as much more of a tragedy as it is a film about some VERY lost individuals; but some might find it funny/hilarious (I didn't ... laughing at an actress pretending to have cerebral palsy isn't laugh-out-loud funny). Sympathy for Delicious has some good moments and it is a promising debut from a new director; but the subject matter is simply too tricky. Had it presented/sold itself differently from the outset, I might have viewed it differently ... but there is a bit too much ultimate trite-ness here for me to appreciate (not to mention D isn't very LIKE-able).
August 28, 2011
This movie was very dark...and the story was kind of strange. I think it was probably a direct-to-video film because I don't recall ever hearing the title. I liked the ending, but the path to it was pretty twisted. (In a nutshell: a paralyzed guy on Skid Row in L.A. gets acquainted with a priest at the homeless shelter/soup kitchen. The paralyzed guy discovered that he had the power to heal people...everyone BUT himself. The star (Christopher Thornton) was also the writer....the co-star (Mark Ruffalo) was also the director. The story definitely gives you a lot to think about...with some interesting moral dilemmas.
May 11, 2011
One of the best movies out there right now. Great cast. Captivating. Raw, without being cheap. ...and with a scenario that's not altogether alien to my superhero imagination sensibilities. Check it out, if it's playing near you.
April 29, 2011
*** (out of four)

Dizzy and over-the-top, director/actor Mark Ruffalo has created an interesting, though not all together successful film that is original in style and plot, but lacks in coherancy.

Christopher Thornton gives an excellent performance as a former DJ who is now wheelchair bound and living on the streets of L.A. He meets a priest who helps him find that he can physically heal people, just not himself. He uses his gift to become a member of a rock band instead of helping others.

Overall I am giving the film a slight thumbs up, but the possibilities here are much more than what we get. Good performances and direction help, but the overall story just isn't tight enough.
April 20, 2011
Really good independent film about a wheelchair bound man who acquires the ability to heal but not himself. It takes a look at greed, moral vaule and the church. Great performances.
May 19, 2010
It definitely has its flaws, but there's a passion behind the storytelling that makes it work. The premise is a fascinating one, but I couldn't help but be let down by the ending - too simple, too easy (even if it is supernatural). The acting, in the end, is what pulls it through more than anything.
November 6, 2013
Crap story, forgettable and unlikable characters, what more can I say.