Tadpole Reviews

deano
½ January 27, 2008
Mostly grating story about an arrogant, but brilliant, 15-year-old who falls in love with his stepmother. This movie tries to be edgy, a la Rushmore, but, due to a lack of likable characters, winds up being irritatingly stuffy instead.
DragonEyeMorrison
September 8, 2007
I could rank this higher if it weren't for one thing, the film looses real ground with Oscar getting too obssesed with Eve and even rejecting offers from other women. No matter how smart and sharp a 15 year old kid can be, the chance of getting laid with fine ladies at that age is like finding gold under your bed. No teen would say no to that just because he is in love with someone.

Yet, the film is quite fun to watch, especially for anyone who felt like the main character at some point over those teen years. No connection at all with people of his age, and with way too different interests. That and the taste for mature dames.

Nice wet dream of a movie, could have been better. Bebe Neuwirth looks damn good in this one. Only mentally derranged and under the influence of strange medications i would have prefered Weaver over her.
½ April 9, 2007
This movie is so sweet and funny, watching it just fills me with giggly joy. Everyone is great in this movie and the humour is derived from the characters themselves and thier relationships. It's easy to forget that Oscar is 15, which adds to the effectiveness of the whole story. I love this movie, even though it kind of looks like crap. I don't think digital Hi8 recording was the best way to go with this film.
April 25, 2008
Sigourney Weaver and Bebe Neuwirth are cougars before there was name for it.
June 6, 2007
Smart and humorous! there are so many levels of wrong in this movie that it was almost uncomfortable to watch. It had me releasing guilty closet giggles all the way through until ultimately revealing that some intelligence is gained purely from experience and age really is more than just a number. it also never hurts to have poignant Voltaire quotes sprinkled about opportunely!
March 22, 2014
I went into this expecting it to be nothing more than background noise while I did other things, but it wasn't even interesting enough for that. The production quality isn't even as good as some made-for-TV movies I've seen, and every character is stuck up and pretentious. Don't waste your time.
½ March 14, 2008
Great actors and great filmwork, tadpole is a good film. The one facotr that made it unenjoyable was the facotr of a "Graduate" theme.
½ November 3, 2006
Funny and nice, although the story is kinda weird. the enthusiasm of the film makes up for the rest.
½ September 7, 2006
You know, I love Aaron Stanford, but this has got to be one of the lamest scripts ever. Yes, it has its funny moments, but not enough to make up for the general awkwardness of the story.
February 15, 2014
the synopsis provides the possibility of tackiness and slease. Be prepared to be pleasantly surprised, not a trace of it to be found. Light, charming, adult and witty the ensamble presents a story in surprisingly believable fashion, All the casting is letter perfect, even to the 15 year old best bud...read moredy and the coven of girl friends of the best girlfriend. Well paced, quiet yet produced a few outright belly laughs. John Ritter really hits the notes of his character with a nuance I dont normally associate with his work. All in all a joy, going to look for more work of Gary Winick with the guess that he maybe the reason for the sucess of this little jewel.
August 9, 2013
This movie is routinely described as "charming;" yet the plot revolves around a woman (Bebe Neuwirth) who seduces a minor (Aaron Stanford) into genital-genital intercourse. How is this "charming? I think it is illegal.
½ May 8, 2013
A movie where the plot has a drunken boy who is 15 seduced by a 40 something year old woman is child molestation, not a comedy. The film also did not seem particularly witty or funny, and both Aaron Stanford and Sigourney Weaver were at least a decade and a half too old for their roles. Why this movie was so highly rated I'll never know.
April 14, 2013
One of the best independent short movies I've EVER seen!! A very touching and human story about a 15 year old boy, who falls in love with a 40 year old woman.. amazing soundtrack, full of major stars... extremely real and a movie anyone who remembers being 15, or who is 40, can empathize with! I highly recommend it.
July 29, 2012
"Das Verfassen einer Tragödie erfordert Hoden." - mehr muss eigentlich nicht gesagt werden... :-D
July 11, 2012
The reviewers didn't like it, as it's so similar to 'The Graduate' in plot. The fact that this wouldn't have been made if the central character were a 15 year old girl instead of a boy is fair comment. However I enjoyed it - it's contrived, and it's knowingly a comedy, and it made me laugh. New York is a character in the movie, which adds to the enjoyment, and the acting was fine. Didn't notice the low budget at all.
½ May 28, 2012
This had some bad reviews but I really loved it. Witty and charming and packed with quotes from Voltaire. Well worth watching
May 28, 2012
A mild and inoffensive rerendering of Catcher in the Rye. This is what teenage angst, sexual frustration and disconnection would feel like if none of things mattered. Unfortunately, they do.
May 14, 2012
Tadpole it's a witty indie comedy. The actions the characters make are hilarious but the consequences are not big enough to make the movie completely satisfying.
October 11, 2011
Funny for all the wrong reasons, rubbish acting, dialogue and plot, yet strangely endearing!
½ June 20, 2010
Quasi oedipal complex beauty following the Fall vacation of Oscar, home from boarding school to the liberal academic world of his parents in Manhattan. Falling for his step mom, sleeping with her best friend, ultimately coming of age-appropriate. Well observed on shaky-cam, a brilliant script and a mercifully short - a much better use of time and money than There Will Be Blood and other ludicrously long blockbusters that we'd rather have our lives back after watching. Bon.