Taking Chance Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 8, 2013
Taking Chance is an incredible picture starring Kevin Bacon that tells the true story of Lieutenant Colonel Michael Strobl who volunteered to escort the remains of Chance Phelps, a Marine killed in Iraq. This is a powerful film that is an eye opening experience. Kevin Bacon gives one of his finest performances. This film was very personal for me, as I grew up in a military family. This film really was a respectful tribute to the men who gave their lives. This is really a subtle film, one that tells a very simple story, albeit a powerful one. This is a well acted movie that is an emotional viewing experience. I really enjoyed this film and I think it's an important one as well. This is one of the most well told dramas that I have seen, and it is a must see film that should be seen for anyone interested in what escorts do to bring fallen soldiers home. This isn't an action film or a war film. On the contrary, this film gives us a behind the scenes look at what goes on, and it makes for a compelling viewing experience that you simply can't forget. I think that this was a story that needed to be told, and the filmmakers did the true story justice. I'm not one to get emotional while I watch movies, but this one made me feel choked up. This is simply put a terrific picture that is brilliant and heartfelt. Taking Chance is a great movie well worth your time, and is one of the most eye opening films that I have seen in quite some time. The story is simple, but engaging and it all comes down to human respect, and the understanding of the sacrifice of soldiers that are willing to give their lives for their country.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ July 8, 2010
"You are his witness now. Without a witness, they just disappear."

Based on real-life events, Lt. Col. Michael Strobl, a volunteer military escort officer, accompanies the body of 19-year-old Marine Chance Phelps back to his hometown of Dubois, Wyoming.

REVIEW
A muted, dignified film that boasts limited dialog and gorgeous Western scenery, it speaks to something that is desperately needed in the wake of current events over the last seven years: namely meditative, apolitical understanding that war is not merely platitudes, large, grand declarations of duty or the bombs, bullets and destruction that audiences tend to get dulled into complacency but is also about deep, implacable loss and the ability to accept, continue and believe in the face of it. A movie probably meant for the big screen but fits much more comfortably and intimately as a television film, this film is a far too rare examination of the kind of experiences that many servicemen and/or family of servicemen endure during a time of long, protracted war. Ready for a sobering look at the current conflict in Iraq through clear, gentle eyes? Look this one up.
LWOODS04
August 18, 2009
Kevin Bacon, Tom Aldredge, Guy Boyd Blanche Baker, Ruby Jerins, Mike Colter, Henry Coy, Tom Wopat

DIRECTED BY: Ross Katz

This is one of those movie's where actions speak louder than words. With it being the people turning on their vehicles lights as they are passing, or to the flight attendant not saying much but handing over a cross that says it all. Very emotional movie. Touching and moving. Definitely shed a good amount of tears throughout this film. But it does touch home for a lot of us who has family members and friends still fighting and for those who have lost there loved ones. It's well worth the watch. Kevin Bacon did brilliant in this movie. Great movie. Give it a watch..
½ May 29, 2009
Kevin Bacon again proves again he is a talent that is second to none and is very watchable in this emotional and fashionation dama.Short film but staingh to the point .Very recommended movie.
½ December 1, 2012
Heartbreaking true story of a Marine, who volunteers to escort the body of a fallen soldier. Kevin Bacon, despite what some might say. Is and has been on his "A-Game" for quite some time. This is the type of performance one can expect from him, top-notch.
Isaac
½ November 26, 2011
Taking Chance tries to go where no other film has gone before - and in this respect it succeeds. However, the film is weighed down by mostly wooden performances and a dull screenplay that insists on repeating the same military protocols over and over again.
½ October 9, 2009
Uncompromisingly patriotic as it is well crafted, this story manages to encompass a human experience not often spoke about. Kevin Bacon gives a performance that puts him back on the map. A touching and heartfelt story worthy of attention.
iLeo
November 29, 2009
Absolutely amazing performance by Kevin Bacon. Powerful story plot.
January 22, 2010
Such a sweet story! I was especially touched by how the military treats their fallen soldiers. Bacon did a really good job.
½ July 2, 2015
This movie was something that I stumbled upon while flipping through the on demand choices and it was able to get through it with company.
It was very strong as it hit some emotional cords for me having served in the combat theater, and then dealing with families via the chaplain service. Kevin Bacon did a very respectable and honorable portrait of a warrior's last ride to his home of record. It is not meant to uplifting or inspiring type of film, at least the way I felt after watching it. I was probably more raw than other viewers but my wife xsaid she thought it was good, and it helped her to understand a little more about the huge sacrifice that some have made that is lost in the background of the 20 second newsbites, between episodes of reality TV shows of the Kardashians, Survivor or Dr. Phil.

Sempre Fidelis
January 10, 2014
An excellent movie that we use to teach 8th graders about reverence. I don't think anyone with any connection to the military will make it through the film without being in tears at least once.
March 29, 2012
Inspired by a true story, this is a real tear jerker and had both my husband and I in tears a few times. Kevin Bacon just fits the role of this Marine Colonel to a T! He, as a soldier who was in Desert Storm and is now a paper pusher, decides he wants to do something more meaningful and asks to escort the remains of a fallen soldier, Chance Phelps, home to Wyoming for burial. What an emotional, heartbreaking and amazing thing as the fallen are brought back to the states and we see the care that is taken with each one. This touched my heart forever.
½ August 7, 2009
The final journey of fallen Marine Chance Phelps. The loving care shown brought tears to my eyes several times.
March 7, 2010
When I started to watch this film, I was sitting alone and the boys were doing various things, up and about, calling, texting or IMing friends about the new car we bought them, today. Some while into the movie, I realized that they were all standing or sitting around me and each one had a hand on my arm or shoulder. I also realized that the entire front of my shirt was wet from crying. I escorted a body home once, and on to his funeral. I know EXACTLY what Kevin Bacon's character was going through. At first, the events seemed detached from reality, but as it went on, I realized that I came to be very, very close to the young soldier I escorted. I also noted how everyone who came in contact with us did so with dignity and respect. Kevin Bacon did a phenomenal job in the role of Lieutenant Colonel Strobl. I appreciate his fine contribution to this fine film.
August 10, 2009
great story with an amazing performance by Bacon. a definite must see.

one of the best of 2009. ♥

** full review to come **
½ January 28, 2010
Best movie I've seen in a really long time. Kevin Bacon is amazing. Such a hallowed feeling envelopes you from the start of this film to the end. An emotionally moving movie that made me feel privileged to watch. The respect and reverence paid to our soldiers killed in action was amazing. I was especially happy to see it was not a political statement movie as so many in Hollywood are. Thank you HBO for making this movie. I only wish it could have run nationwide in theatres but I'm hoping word gets out on sites like this what a great movie this is.
November 28, 2009
Maybe the most increadible movie that I've ever seen. It is moving. It is thought provoking. It tests your emotions like nothing I've ever seen. A war movie that everyone should see. A war movie that the left and the right will equally cheer.
October 30, 2009
This is the most touching movie I have ever seen. Every American should be REQUIRED to watch this movie. If anyone can watch this movie without crying..then they have a heart of stone!
Kevin Bacon deserves an Oscar for his performance! I've loved every movie I've ever seen him in, however, this movie was the BEST work he has ever done!
Please, please, please, I beg everyone to watch this movie! You will not be sorry you did. It's not a typical war movie, so if your steering away from the movie because of the war controversy, please don't.
God Bless our American Hero's and their families!