Tatsumi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tatsumi Reviews

½ December 23, 2013
I really don't know how to review this movie. It left me feeling amazed with admiration, but unnecessarily sad, too. TATSUMI is a fascinating, original piece of work- there is only one movie that I know of, WALTZ WITH BASHIR that bears any resemblance to it. But it is not a pleasant experience, by any means- there were things in this movie that were so overwhelmingly dark, grim and depressing that I wondered, why? Why did it have to be this depressing when it is this quiet and this ineffectual? The worst part is that there is no good reason or any hopeful or reedeming qualities for that potent stuff to be there. It is hard for me to recommend this movie although there are things about that I very much admired. Maybe aspiring animators or hardcore film buffs should see it- but no one else. It also has a number of plot holes and inexplicable, unexplained scenes- that's not nitpicking. But the film is a truly fascinating experience about the mind of an artist (something which it realizes almost masterfully) with a very original style.

So really- see it, if you dare.
October 5, 2013
I really enjoyed the approach of this film. I was also inspired by Tatsumi's stories and art to better my own art
½ May 11, 2013
The osamu tezuka connection was worth watching.
½ April 19, 2013
A well-made homage to gekiga artist Yoshihiro Tatsumi.
August 2, 2012
Based on the story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi in his career of gekiga style manga, it interwinds with five short stories that explore the dark side of human nature. Although the stories are quite simple, the inner feelings and conflict of the characters stand out dramatically.
June 27, 2012
Tatsumi's autobiographical, and fictional short, stories are brilliant source material to draw from, and there's a definite kick to be had from watching them animated on the screen. The short stories in particular, with their fantastic score and pacing, are a joy to behold (although his most confrontational and shocking stories are omitted). That said, Tatsumi deserves better than this poorly put together, cheaply animated and slightly muddled film in which a motion-comiceque animation style is employed, the occasional awful voice actors pops up and an overall lack of narrative cohesion spoil the fun.
½ June 18, 2012
Though disjointed in narrative and somewhat emotionally distant, Tatsumi remains a fascinating and uncompromising vision that reels audience in a world full of both fantasy and disenchantment.
½ June 6, 2012
The adaptations of the stories work much better that the biopic elements and the deliberately lax anime/manga animation style takes some getting used to, but this is still a fascinating examination of manga (or more accurately gekiga) culture.
October 9, 2011
A tribute to famous Manga artist Tatsumi. It's a series of short stories that tell us a little bit about the artist and how he became who he is. It's also combined with some of his stories brought to life in stunning animation. The film takes risks and shows some pretty unpleasant stuff. It's a very adult film. However, I couldn't help but feel it falls into Japanese anime stereotype at times. Enough with the gratuitous nudity! Still, the themes were powerful and the childlike nature of the protagonist was affecting, awkward and sensitive. The final segment left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (the raping of Japan from the US after the war) but I suppose that is the point. Although, I couldn't help but think they could have ended with something a little more inspiring.
½ September 25, 2011
Interesting. Worth watching.
½ September 18, 2011
A collection of short animations for adults, just not quite my cup of tea.
½ September 17, 2011
An ambitious film from Singapore well-known art house director, Eric Khoo, which gives Singapore films a different feel but overall, a film that is just too all over the place with too much sexual tone. Only watch this film if you want a different touch to art house and local Singapore films.
½ August 2, 2011
Another wonderful film from the festival, this time an anime biography of Yoshiro Tatsumi, drawing on his short stories and his own manga biography 'A drifting life'. Focuses mainly on personal and social issues in Japanese society from the post-war years to the 70s. Perfect animation.