Teddy Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teddy Bear Reviews

Bill D 2007
½ September 3, 2012
"Teddy Bear" is a good film but not a great one. It was made in Denmark by Mads Matthiesen and stars real-life bodybuilder Kim Kold. It is the first feature film for both Matthiesen and Kold, telling the story of a man approaching age 40 but still trying to break free from the domineering power of his mother.

The most striking thing about the film is the contrast between the main character's physical power -- he truly looks like The Hulk -- and his emotional powerlessness. I very much liked this study in contrasts and the examination of contradictions that often come with hyper-masculinity.

I also liked the hints at the end of why the mother and son are so deeply bonded. I won't reveal the surprises. I'll just say that the man's devotion to his mother appears more comprehensible in the end.

But "Teddy Bear" never really takes your breath away. It's absolutely competent but not much more than that.
½ November 20, 2013
What an endearing story of a 38 year old gentle giant who finally finds the courage to find love and to face his bitter widowed mother who holds onto him with an iron fist all of these years stunting his emotional/social growth. Not the greatest performances as it is obvious all of these actors are first timers and/or amateurs, but what a revelation Mr, Kim Kold is with his quiet and sweet portrayal of the title character.
½ August 22, 2013
This Danish drama is a truly heartwarming look into a genuine-hearted, shy bodybuilder who is looking for love in Thailand. The movie does not provide any suspense or embellishments, which is just excellent, considering that the subject matter is about daily life of ordinary people. No more, no less...
½ April 7, 2013
Interesting, pretty captivating character piece. And quite charming at times.

The character interactions are visceral. The story is unique and captivating. The story line takes a slow and purposeful pace.
April 7, 2013
Endearing and intriguing story at the interplay of fringe human realities: Bodybuilding meets "order brides"
December 1, 2012
This is a pretty sweet movie. Basically the main appeal here is a tough guy that acts totally not-tough and has a hard time finding someone who can respect him for who he is, not what he looks like. I liked it.
November 25, 2012
Somehow watched it without subtitles. No. I didn't understand anything in Dutch. It was pretty self-explanatory. All the important things were in English anyway. I suggest everybody watches it. Frankly it's been way too long since I've seen a romantic movie about ordinary, selfless people. Minus one star for being a little boring.
January 31, 2015
Evocative. sweet movie about finding love in a rough world. Kim Kold is a professional body builder with the soft, squishy spirit of a teddy bear, hence the movie's name.
July 27, 2014
a very likeable story with some good acting in it
½ April 30, 2014
touching story of shyness, love, and moving forward with life
February 19, 2014
Matthiesen won the directing award in the category "World Cinema - Dramatic" for Teddy Bear at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. The film was also nominated for the Grand Jury Prize in the same category, at the Sundance Festival.
½ May 11, 2013
When love and protein mix together. 3.5 out of 5.
½ November 20, 2013
September 30, 2012
Very interesting, yet sad story of getting independent from over-protective (if it's strong enough word to reflect the situation) parent, only after becoming middle aged. Very nice piece of European cinema.
½ August 22, 2013
June 22, 2013
If you don't like this movie you're wrong.
½ June 15, 2013
I love the irony in this film. Big brawny Dennis is just a timid little softie when it comes to love. If this film were to play it straight, as in big brawny lunk heads to Pattaya for pussy then it would be tired an cliché. You could just call it the Tim "Sharky" Ward show. However the chosen dynamic works much better in the same way that Bullhead worked with a similar subject.
½ June 2, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie, it is understated and gentle with a really likable performance from Kim Kold as this giant bodybuilder who's just trying to break free from his domineering mother who guilt trips him into taking care of her even if it means destroying Dennis' chance at creating his life and achieving happiness on his own. What's great about the performance, at least from Dennis' mother, is that she's not over the top, her manipulation is far more subtle and therefore that makes her more effective as a character since she plays the character in a believable manner. And that's the strength of the film, the fact that a lot of the actors cast were pretty much unknown adds believability to the proceedings. As mentioned Kim Kold is has a very likable presence and he does a great job at carrying the film, especially for someone who is as inexperienced as he was at acting. While the character is very much a teddy bear, I think the character isn't as simple as that, he's far more complex at least in the way how he leads a sheltered life as to not upset his mother. A lot of people may not like the movie because it may be slow and when you watch the film it doesn't seem like a lot happened, but I found it interesting and it has some really good storytelling but, again, it's more subtle and understated. It's still a very sweet and gentle story, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. The movie could've used more comedy, but that's hardly a complaint. I really enjoyed this movie, it isn't perfect but it is damn good.
May 24, 2013
Touching, heart warming, sad and sparse. Yes it is slow, but you can't help but feel for the character of Dennis as he goes about living his lonely shy life being controlled my his aging mother, plus his physique is something to behold, he is just so impressively massive, especially next to his two female costars.