Teen Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teen Wolf Reviews

½ August 27, 2007
In the same year that Fox became a superstar going back to the future he also had this little werewolf gem creep out. The title says its all really in its brilliant cheesy way, a typical 80's film title. Young teen Fox slowly discovers that he is in fact a werewolf and its been in the family for generations.

In all honesty this is your very standard cheeky 80's high school romp which was the staple diet of many classic comedians throughout the 70's and 80's. The twist in this of course is the supernatural element which is simply a play on the effects of puberty, swapping spots for claws. Its all here as you would expect, the sexy blonde everybody lusts after, the plain brunette our hero never notices, the party obsessed crazy ass best friend, the quiet sensible best friend, the bully, the fat kid, the token black guy (lemonade...awesome character name) and various amusing stereotypical teachers. The best easily being the carefree gum chewing basketball coach.

So if you put the predictable teen antics to one side what are the wolf antics like? Well its pretty darn sweet as a matter of fact, and what's more amazing is the makeup effects on show are really quite good. The little sequence of Fox turning into the wolf has clearly been influenced by 'An American Werewolf in London' and its a really well done moment. Its not scary or gruesome in any of course but it still does look quite realistic utilising simple effects and quick editing. His father in wolf mode doesn't look quite as good admittedly, more like a greying woodland animal with puffed up hair.

There isn't all that much wolf action so to speak, its mostly more silly high school antics but in wolf mode. Wolf mode gives our hero greater strength, better vision, brains etc...the guy becomes a super werewolf and aces everything in school whilst becoming a ladykiller (not literately). The main events of the film are based around the high school basketball games in which Fox's character usually sucks but naturally as a werewolf he's turned the game on its head. This film actually got me into basketball for a time, it introduced me to the game, because of this I bought NBA Jam.

The game segments are really good fun and as the film climaxes it does get a little emotional I can't deny. The game montage accompanied by Mark Safan's 'Win in the End' is glorious mainly down to that corking track. Funny how the underneath of Fox's arms didn't have any werewolf hair applied, always obvious when he raises his arms.

I think people can relate to this film in many ways, certain characters despite them being cliche, the problems of popularity, loneliness, bullying, sexuality etc...usual teen stuff. In all fairness this film doesn't really differ much from the vast array of fast food American high school flicks out there, the werewolf angle is only a different representation of teen angst. It shouldn't really be a good film but somehow it is, what you see isn't original and there aren't any dazzling special effects, its more a character/school based fantasy which is simply a good fun little ride. Attractive performances all round especially from Levine as Stiles and a wicked soundtrack make this a solid cult gem.
LWOODS04
½ August 9, 2009
"It's really odd how you can love a movie so much as a kid to only to grow up and watch it again to see how cheesy and poorly made it is. But I still love it!
Michael J. Fox was a favorite of mine growing up. I loved him in this and the Back to The Future movies. I miss him in movies. He's a great actor. The film is silly and corny, but enjoyable and fun. It doesn't hold the same level of awesomeness it did when I was younger and first seeing it. Still, I will forever love this movie. The 80's have movies that I will continue to love no matter how cheesy they may seem today."
TheDudeLebowski65
May 25, 2012
Pretty good comedy horror flick with teen flair, Teen Wolf delivers a good time with a good cast of actors who are great to watch on-screen. Although not as memorable as other horror comedies of the 80's, Teen Wolf is still a must for all horror fans. There are things that could have been done better, but for the most part, it succeeds at being a very entertaining film. This is cheesy 80's comedy horror at its best. This is a fun twist on the usual werewolf flick, and it works. Although not perfect, this film is still a must see with great gags on-screen, and a cast that's sure to please. The film at times is weak, but as a whole it succeeds at entertaining you because of the new ideas expressed in its story. The film may falter at times, but it doesn't prevent it from being a fun, entertaining hour and a half. I very much enjoyed this film, Michael J. Fox was very good here, and he made the film work. If you're looking for a fun cheesy comedy horror film that is meant not to be taken serious, Teen Wolf is that film. A very enjoyable film from start to finish this is an underrated film that deserves a lot more praise than it has gotten. Sure there are things that could have been improved upon, but in the end, the film still manages to be worthwhile viewing. If you enjoy 80's comedy horror cheese, then Teen Wolf is the perfect film for you to watch and fill that void. A different take on werewolf films and it pays off.
blkbomb
½ December 15, 2011
Harold Howard: Yeah, I saw, unless that was another werewolf doing a handstand on top of Stiles' wolfmobile and making a fool of himself.

"He always wanted to be special.. but he never expected this."

A movie this stupid really depends on how fun you find it. I didn't enjoy myself. I'm going to nitpick a little bit here. I know this isn't a basketball movie, but if you are going to devote as much screen time at they do to basketball, at least make the games make sense. It looks like the director of the movie has never seen a basketball game in his life. First foul, he's shooting free throws and then after a foul, they do a jump ball. Little shit like that annoys the hell out of me. I guess if you aren't familiar with any concept that goes into basketball, you won't notice. With that to the side, I still didn't find this movie very entertaining.

Scott is an average kid who plays on a crappy basketball team. He isn't really good at anything. All of a sudden he starts to notice little changes, like fur growing on his hands and the fact that he can hear a dog whistle. Well to his surprise, but not his fathers, he is a werewolf. Unlike most werewolf movies the people around him just go with it. He changes in the middle of a game and after staring at him for a few seconds start playing again. Also, being werewolf makes hot girls who never noticed you before horny.

Teen Wolf is actually rather dull for the story. You would think that there would be at least a little joy coming from the ridiculousness, but no. The film is as average as Scott before he becomes a werewolf. It's also extremely strange and I don't mean because the character turns into a werewolf and everyone begins to love him. No the whole movie is just really strange in a way that is hard to describe. A guy surfs on the hood of a van while "Surfing U.S.A. plays, there's weird montages with some of the worst songs I've ever heard playing during them, and then there's the dialogue like:

Mick: You don't scare me, freak. Underneath all that hair, you're still a dork, Scott. I've handled your kind before. Your mama used to steal chickens out of the backyard until I blew her head off with a shotgun. Right, Scott?

Look, it could have probably been worse, but it just really sucks. Watch it if you must, but God the more I think about it, the more I hate it.
½ April 7, 2011
This exists in a realm of weird that few movies share. It is completely ignorant of the rules of storytelling and just has everyone accept off the bat that Michael J. Fox is a Werewolf, "but hey, it's all good". However, that's what it wants to do. Teen Wolf is all about being the ultimate goofball 80s premise and its execution is even more goofy. The make-up makes Michael J. Fox look like an ape rather than a wolf, but his acting makes up for it.
September 6, 2010
An outrageous, over the top, stupid werewolf story that has been spoofed ever since. Fox gives an okay performance, but other than that it's a pretty bad movie, at least it isn't as bad as its sequel, though.
½ July 29, 2010
C+
Chiefilms
March 6, 2008
I guess it's cool, funny, random idea to come up with, a wolf in high school, very 80's. Update: Haha Jason Bateman had the lead role in Teen Wolf 2 which went nowhere. This is like Michelle Pheiffer having the lead role in Grease 2 which had the same outcome. Gotta go for that top billing even if it is a milk dud.
movieguru12
May 10, 2008
Once again a good 80s movie with an adorable Michael J. Fox. :)
June 12, 2006
Harold Howard: I was hoping it would pass you by.
Scott Howard: Well, Dad it didn't pass me by. It landed on my face.

This is the kind of goofy premise that somehow works. It really shouldn't, I mean: A high school kid suddenly learns that he's a werewolf? Hilarity ensues as he learns about taking responsibility in his life, while playing on the basketball team and suddenly becoming the most popular kid in school. This film reeks of 80s cheese, but somehow, its always enjoyable to watch. Michael J. Fox is surely one of the reasons, his attitude is just the right kind to make it work. The ridiculous characters, with the exception of the awesome basketball coach, are certainly not helping, but still, this movie is bafflingly watchable.

Coach Finstock: Look Scotty, I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying?
Scott Howard: What happened to the kid?
Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a third stringer, I didn't need him.
sanjurosamurai
January 22, 2007
a classic, they should have stopped at 1 but a great movie
½ January 3, 2007
Typical 80's comedy starring Michael J Fox.
½ April 27, 2008
There is a white version of Big Baby Davis in this movie. But he'll never be as graceful.
thmtsang
August 4, 2007
Teen movie about a guy who discovers he can turn into a wolf.
Beefy
½ April 25, 2007
I saw this sooo many times growing up. Not a good movie, but Boof was a cutie and it gets points for nostalgia.
garyX
½ March 21, 2007
Flimsy comic vehicle that's carried soully by the charm of Michael J. Fox. The occasional funny moment, but if you must, go for Back To The Future. Or American Werewolf In London...
February 27, 2007
Good 80s comedy. I love the fact that not too many people are worried about the fact that there is a werewolf on the high school basketball team.
February 19, 2007
Another childhood favourite, back then anything with Michael J Fox was great viewing
½ November 14, 2006
It was terrible when it came out. It's terrible now. I remember praying that someone would bite it when they did that van surfing crap.
deano
October 15, 2006
A werewolf was amazingly good at basketball and wooing girls.