63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Ten Commandments: The Musical Reviews

April 28, 2009
Robert and Elizabeth still holds the record for worst musical in the world, but this one might be a close second. The premise has been done before, both in the actual movie The Ten Commandments and, more recently, in The Prince of Egypt, which is a far superior musical movie. The music is unoriginal and somewhat aimless. The lyrics try unsuccessfully to mesh ancient biblical language with current pop phrases and awkward metaphors that occasionally sound like they work but don't mean anything. On top of that, there are the bizarre costumes and the completely unnecessary special effects (excuse me... WHY does the initial Pharaoh glow? Does Ramses not get the glow because he's not special enough? Did Moses make the glow leave?).

There is one bright light at the end of the tunnel, though. The performers are all (with the exception of Val Kilmer) PHENOMENAL. There's the spectacular Adam Lambert, most recently famous for being an American Idol contestant, playing Joshua. Musical theater veterans Lauren Kennedy and Kevin Earley are as spectacular as their bizarre songs will let them be in their roles as the princess and Ramses. Alisan Porter plays Miriam and has simply amazing vocals. Graham Phillips, the recent star of the Broadway show "13," even shows up as a young boy who sings the ten commandments themselves to the Israelites.

So... the musical is terrible. Awful. Complete nonsense. But if you like good singing, this is a fairly brilliant collection of fantastic singers. Just close your eyes and listen to the music instead of watching the nonsense going on on stage. The entire star and a half goes to the cast.
lordakiyama
November 20, 2006
I actually liked this show. Sure it wasn't quite the level of The Prince of Egypt, to which Kilmer also played Moses, but it was good enough for me to watch it all the way through and feel that I wasn't disappointed. Some of the songs are actually not too shabby and the costumes are well done. It's worth at least a look.
Scrat on Speed
May 17, 2011
Oh, Val Kilmer, how far you've come. You rose from obscurity in the 80s to be quite the screen icon in flicks like 'Top Gun' and 'Willow', then had a successful run in the 90s taking on larger than life characters like Batman and Doc Holliday with moderate success. Then things got rocky. A few hits here and there, but nothing earth-shattering. Now, I realize this musical stage production of a revered film might have special meaning to you considering your vocal performance as Moses in 'The Prince of Egypt', but it wasn't really your cup of tea, was it? Look, your singing voice isn't horrible, but you just don't have the charisma as some of your co-stars. I mean, even though Adam Lambert's voice is totally irritating, you have to give him some credit for bravado. Honestly, the only memorable performers are Alisan Porter and Nita Whitaker - they've both got the goods. But there were no songs that were catchy - and the final number was just too cliché. And there was just too much flamboyance going on. Some of the dance numbers were fairly well choreographed, but some were just over the top weird. Look, Val, you had such potential, I'm not really sure what happened. Maybe it's your agent, maybe you're tired. I'm not sure, but I wish you'd be a little pickier about your movies - or in this case, your choice of stage productions.