Tenure

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Tenure Reviews

Jeffrey M

January 4, 2012
Familiar, ultimately forgettable, and only sporadically funny, Tenure is still entirely watchable because of the great charm and personality Luke Wilson brings to the table, carrying the film through itsā(TM) more meandering moments.
SC007
SC007

August 7, 2011
The film was ok but could have been much better. The film reminded me of movies like Rushmore, Charlie Bartlett, and World's Greatest Dad. However, those films were much better than this one. This one lacked the style that those films had. I think if Wes Anderson or even the Coen Brothers would have directed the film, then it would have been much better.

Actingwise, Luke Wilson shines in the lead role. Gretchen Mol also does a great job here too. Zach Galifianakis would have been much better in the role of Jay than David Koechner.

The film is worth checking out cause of Luke Wilson's performance.
Philip P

April 29, 2010
For a film that never made it to theaters it was much better than I expected. I am definitely a fan of Luke and wish he was in more films that made it to the big screen, but this little piece of college professor life is entertaining if not a little slow paced. The man who really steals the show here though is Koechner. With his tangeants and bigfoot escapades he is hilarious and random. This probably would have never made much money at the box office, but it certainly is a nice flick to watch on the night in when its raining. It has a sly sense of humor and doesn't fall into a certain formula, a nice break from the formulaic comedy. If you get the chance, 'Tenure' is definitely an off-beat comedy worth checking out.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

May 5, 2011
As sterile a feel-good movie as you're likely to see. It's like Keith Richards trying to get high by eating Tic Tacs.
t h o m !

November 11, 2010
A potentially good film that fails to capitalize on possibilities for it's characters and plot. The film boasts a great cast that just amounts to a more or less mediocre end product. I'm pressing hard for a 3 and not a 2 1/2. I love you Luke Wilson, but I'd like to see you star as a successful supporting character rather than a bumbling main star that you always gravitate towards. Personal desires and conflictions aside, Tenure has a few good beats and successions that keep it from being too typical yet it lacks a certain edge that prevents the film as a whole from advancing to anything that memorable aside from an okay movie to watch while having lunch.
April 9, 2013
I like the foundation for the story and the cast is likeable but it settles for a low dose of light humor. Instead of poking fun at academic culture and escalating situations to more exaggerated and goofy tone, this movie gets caught in an awkward place that does not result in a high laugh count. Luke Wilson leads a capable cast that makes the most of the given material. It is enjoyable but not memorable, and has its share of moments that come off as odd rather than funny. The shame is that the characters are developed well and the emotional side is well done for a comedy. With more humor this would have really worked, but as it stands it is not strong enough to excel as a romance, drama or comedy.
May 13, 2012
Not actually all that bad. Predictable, but generally entertaining. Mostly just a group of (generally unconventional) quirky characters to laugh at & with.
February 24, 2012
No surprise this never made it to theaters. But an easy comedy as background while I was doing other things.
June 7, 2011
Slow, and a bit awkward.The only thing entertaining about this Film was the Crazy Best Friend,David Koechner as Professor Jay Hadley,who liked to smoke pot, slash his other professors tires, & Toilet Paper his Deans house, if it weren't for his childlike hehavior, this Movie would be like watch Grass grow.
March 17, 2010
July 13, 2013
Tenure isn't a great movie, but it has heart. Witness how the bearded David Kochner (the Office's obnoxious Todd Packard) is almost unrecognizable as the (relatively) mellowed anthropology teacher genuinely convinced of the existence of bigfoot. Koechner's obsession may seem like a liability in a film set in reality, but it turns into an effective running joke. When two of Kochner's graduate students find a fresh yeti footprint but are unable to take a proper cast before it is destroyed by rainfall, he warns them that West-Coast skeptics will claim it was a hoax. He then effectively mentors them through their comedically perfect outrage and grief.

Likewise, Luke Wilson as (assistant) professor Charlie Thurber quickly abandons his sinister plan to dis-credit his new competition in the Clark College literature department, and instead help her adjust and get comfortable in the classroom--even as a well-meaning Koechner sabotages her in torturously small ways.

The film borders on the dramedy with scenes of Charlie's father, a former Princeton professor (with tenure!), now a widower struggling with alternating mental sharpness and senility. Bob Gunton is good even as his character seems to lack a moral center, sometimes prodding his son for his underachievement, but then moving quickly toward an inevitable but less cathartic than might have been reconciliation as he assures Luke that his teaching ability sets him apart.

The movie works because the characters never go to cheap lengths to make us laugh, or end up caught up in elaborate lies that spiral out of control and require unrewarding scenes of strife as they attempt to get back on track. They work because the characters give each other the benefit of the doubt and don't spend much time shouting or acting in ways that disqualify them for friendship in the first place.

So I'd say it is worth a chance.
FilmGrinder S.
May 18, 2013
82%
"I thought when I got this age, things would be easier, but everything gets more absurd."-William Thurber (Bob Gunton)
What, TENURE should be a raunch comedy? It's not about OLD SCHOOL frat parties.
"The food at Yale is positivly exquiste, Beth."-Warren (Andrew Daly)
Oh yeah, the business about bigfoot was awesome.
November 24, 2012
Pretty funny movie. I wish the ending answered a few more questions.
April 24, 2012
its really bad...and really hard to watch
December 30, 2011
quite quirky and funny, luke wilson is a talent not recognised by confident directors.
April 6, 2012
Great dark comedy, a hidden gem
Jeffrey M

January 4, 2012
November 26, 2011
It's a simple, lightly spicy and touching movie with some witty jokes and funny situations, and the presence of the "teacher-students" relation, everybody can be relate to.
November 11, 2011
I saw it and really enjoyed it. Those of us in the profession can relate to the main character.