That's Life! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That's Life! Reviews

November 12, 2011
Father of the house approaches his 60th birthday and freaks out because of his age, illnesses he imagines to have, etc., and infects everybody with his mostly groundless extroverted sickness phobias, while his wife silently suffers from suspected cancer. In a humorous and light fashion the film studies the way people deal with their concerns. Nothing particularly good.
½ September 2, 2011
All of the emotional moments between Lemmon and Andrews work because of the affection we feel toward the actors, not because of the script or anything about the characters per se. The rest of the film is fairly dull and at times annoying.
June 10, 2010
Julie Andrews on aina kiva.
½ March 21, 2008
I don't know very many people who like this movie - only myself and my spouse (me, more than him). I think it may have been too great an experiment... I know that directors often have their movies improvised by the actors, who have been given a structure; but this one is kind of famous for taking it a step farther and really shooting what would appear to be an acting excercise that involves his family and the family of close friends AND other close friends. I happen to like it when artists step out of their comfort zone and try to find new things, so I like the experiment -- even when I see it isn't working (which does happen here).

Natch, I love Julie Andrews in it; but that is probably because I feel like I am actually with Julie Andrews -- the character DOES bear remarkable similarities... I love watching Sally Kellerman do her improves and wonder where the heck she gets it all from. I am a big Jack Lemmon fan -- but I have to admit that his character is reprehensibly unlikeable. If I were to meet him, I wouldn't pursue a friendship or a marriage with him. If I knew him socially, I wouldn't want to go to his birthday party.

AND YET.

I really have a strong connection to this picture. Since I am the only one, I cannot recommend that anyone see it unless they are interested in the experiment or the stars.

To that end, I'm not going to give it a high rating, even though it is one of my favs.
December 1, 2007
it was an endearing and also cute movie
½ November 18, 2007
Meh. A little too depressing to be a comedy. And if it's meant to be a drama? Even worse. Great acting, however, by Lemmon and Andrews, as expected.
October 3, 2007
Jack and Julie are portraying such a wonderful duo ! they're a perfect match ! simply perfect
February 19, 2007
kool as man dis movie rulzzz
October 5, 2006
h! har s ddslyst se denne!
October 6, 2006
a great movie based on family problems.
August 22, 2006
god I love that movie, it made my cry!
December 30, 2003
I love THAT'S LIFE! It's sweet and funny and sad and happy all at the same time!