• PG, 1 hr. 41 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

That's What I Am Reviews

Thomas J

January 4, 2013
Cute film set in the 60s with a story that would be just as relevant set in today's culture. Definitely a "feel good" movie with heart!
Cynthia S

April 24, 2012
Dignity plus compassion equals peace is the message of this really enjoyable, nice little movie. As an added bonus, this was very Wonder Years-ish, complete with author narration. A good, solid story with interesting characters, and chock full of some very talented children. Ed Harris was, of course, fantastic! He adds a little special something to everything he is in...
Bobby H

October 30, 2011
"That's what I am" reminds me a bit of a cheesy wonder years rip off. The narration, the time period, the girl - and while I do say cheesy - I also must have to say, it worked magnificently!
The movie had some great meaning behind it being released during WWE's waging of war on bullies while it is slightly exaggerated at points it reminds us how cruel children and humanity in general can be to those who seem a bit different then the rest of us. We all have our unique personalities, and one thing we should generally exercise is, "Tolerance" , if nothing else.
This movie reminds us of being tolerant of differences and showing signs of human dignity that is hard to come by anymore.
A great flick! And an awesome 'heel' performance by Randy Orton.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 11, 2011
Cast: Ed Harris, Molly Parker, Randy Orton, Amy Madigan, Mia Rose Frampton, Chase Ellison, Alexander Walters, Daniel Roebuck, Sean Michael Cunningham, Cameron Deane Stewart

Director: Michael Pavone

Summary: A 12-year-old boy is convinced he's been pushed toward social suicide when his teacher pairs him up for a project with the school's biggest reject. But the boys form an unexpected bond when bullies turn their attention to an unlikely target.

My Thoughts: "Another film from the WWE which features one of their wrestler's, Randy Orton. His part in the film was small, which made room for real actor's to shine. I have a bit of a pet peeve with wrestler's acting. Not many or if any are very good. BUT... This has to be the best movie the WWE has put out. Ed Harris. That's all I need to say as to what made me want to see this film. He is a favorite of mine and is a brilliant actor. The story is something everyone should see. Especially kids/teenagers. The film could be a great learning experience for them and some adults. It's really great of the WWE to put a light on issues kids are dealing with today with bullying. Like I said before, it's a movie you should watch with your kids if you have them, or just watch it because it's a good film."
SC007
SC007

August 23, 2013
The film was ok, but could have been so much better. They had the right idea but didn't execute it correctly. The film feels like an after school special. It has a very strong anti-bulley message and to be tolerant of others message. The film lacked the style that it needed. Also another director could have done a better job. Rob Reiner in my opinion, would have done a better directing job.

The film reminded me of the TV show The Wonder Years. It also reminded me of films like Flipped, The Sandlot, Matinee, and even Stand By Me. Those films are better than this one. I did like the voice over narration in the film.

Acting wise, the kids shine here. The adults in the film are supporting players. Of the adult actors, only Ed Harris really makes the most of his role. Randy Orton is miscast in the film. Another actor in that role could have done a better job. Randy feels out of place in the film.
Lee K

May 28, 2011
Well i guess if you continue doing something eventually you will get better at it. Now i dont know if its either the cast hired on here or the WWE writers like i said are just getting better at it? Needless to say it was the best movie i have seen by the WWE as of yet. Actually it should be one i would suggest school's to aqquire a copy of to show to their different class full of children as its portrays a great message on how to handle certain topics that unfortunatly rear their ugly heads from time and time again. Homosexuality, bullyism and all pregidous against them. Now myself being a huge fan of the WWE's wrestling end of things i was brilliantly surpised by Randy Orton's role in this (even though if it is 5-10mins in total) film. I have seen Dwayne Johnson in the WWE's first feature Walking Tall, I even gave Cena a bit of credit for last year's Legendary but just watching Orton onscreen and he just looked so natural doing it. I know there is a certain amount of acting in wrestling however they are not the best of actors however Randy seems like if he wanted to seriously think of another career if he ever got seriously injured he could quite definatly rely on acting to foot the bills. After some school bullies cannot get to their intended targets in school they take it upon themselves and make a compliant to their parents about the sexuality of their teacher Mr. Simon (Ed Harris) this causes a a parent in general who is much like his son to complain to the principal. So as you see the storyline just doesnt sit with the kids as the adults get a learning lesson throughout as well. Good family sitdown movie!
January 5, 2012
(3 Stars) That's What I Am is probably one of the better films that WWE Films has made. They're trying to show their audience that they're more than a company that makes average action movies, especially by casting the great Ed Harris. The film is a coming to age tale in the vein of A Christmas Story or The Wonder Years, but there seems to be two different movies with two different tones. One involves a junior high student Andy Nichol (Chase Ellison) misadventures; he's paired with an outcast, he discovers he likes girls, he gets bullied, and other funny things about growing up as his adult self narrates the voiceover... again, very reminiscent of The Wonder Years. The other story involves a rumor about Mr. Simon (Ed Harris), which is much darker and clashes with Nichol's story. In fact, when we see Simon's story, the voiceover mysteriously vanishes. The rumor backstory is put on the backburner, even though it seems like the more interesting of the two and by the end, it seems unresolved. This movie is odd and I'm not sure what tone they are going for... is it quirky comedy or stark drama? WWE wrestler Randy Orton is in it for I think two scenes. I will say this: he plays a convincing "guy who threatens people." So even though there are many bizarre elements to That's What I Am, it's message of tolerance is mostly sound and I'm giving the studio points for trying something new.
February 22, 2014
"That's What I Am" is a movie that gives a good message. It presents the message in a way that doesn't try to preach or become melodramatic, which you appreciate. It may not be wholly memorable, but there are scenes with some great writing. And holding the whole thing together is Ed Harris. The film is nothing special, but it's good nonetheless.
September 7, 2013
That's what iam it's formulaic, but it's charming, witty, great plot, great performance by a very good cast, and the script was intellectually humorous.
September 3, 2013
one of the best high school movie.
jomo l.
August 2, 2013
The Best WWE Films Movie there is. An amazing movie!!!!!!!!!
June 5, 2013
If this was an indie flick instead of a WWE production, it would be praised by critics. Great movie, must see.
May 29, 2012
What it is is a heart-strings tugging film that tries to hard and, Harris and Madigan notwithstanding, would have been much better with stronger actors.
February 24, 2013
Warm wonderful movie with a wonderful message of tolerance and being true to one's ideals, a movie that is ideal for young people, with a great performance by Ed Harris, and its youthful cast.
November 16, 2012
It's a solid, straight-forward story that doesn't fall into the predictable Hollywood happy ending trap. "That's What I Am" explores important moral issues and it would be a good tool to use to open a dialog with children about the importance of standing up for what is right, honesty and the effects of bullying.
August 10, 2012
An interesting coming of age film, especially for a teacher or a writer. The acting is pretty solid, even Randy Orton does not suck. The message here is tolerance.
July 24, 2012
Randy Orton, Ed Harris and Molly Parker in the same movie, it's a good start, but after watching it, It blows you away. It's good in it's own way.
July 11, 2012
Some parts are nice but it's overally cliche
June 6, 2012
This is such a wonderful movie!
May 23, 2012
A heart warming coming of age story focusing on the difficulties of otherness. Good family film.