The Chameleon Reviews

½ November 10, 2010
Low budget, not too shabby story elaborating on true events. This was based on a truly weird real-life character..a boy/man who takes on the identity of numerous people over and over again in seach of love. This movie is telling the story of a family that accepted him, even though it was clear he was an imposter. The reasons why, however, is the basis of this movie. Ellen Barkin delivers a good performance, and the rest of the cast is also rather decent.
MANUGINO
April 15, 2011
You can't die twice.

This film to me was stressful to watch. I was bored and eagerly for it to end so I could finally know what the hell was it about. The acting was mediocre and the cast was not that good, it felt like it needed a good known actor for it to be better. So what that it was based on a true story big deal, this movie was pointless and crappy.

The amazing true story of Frédéric Bourdin, who after having plundered all the centers for runaway minors and deliquents in Europe, even thought he has come of age, now passes himself off as Nicholas Barclay, a 13-year-old American who had vanished three years ago. To his astonishment, Nicholas's family welcomes him like their son, leaving Interpol and the FBI aghast. It is the beginning of a race against time for the investigators, family and Bourdin. But who is manipulating whom? And who is Frederic Bourdin in reality?
September 28, 2011
From the start, I had a hard time latching on to the main character and not because of great writing or directing, but because the actor was simply not believable. Most characters in this film act without instinct or drive, delivering spoon-fed dialogue for no apparent reason but to progress the plot. The Chameleon not only screams melo-drama but lacks any sort of mystery or suspense, feeling glossed over and unwatchable at times. Had the writers given this more time, I feel a much better story could have developed, but instead we are left with a film screaming "made-for-TV-movie" or "Lifetime-original drama".
October 24, 2011
In theory, this sounds like such a good movie, but I was really disappointed with it. There was really no depth to "Nicholas" or the family themselves. It could have been so much better.
½ October 16, 2014
Terrible mystery that makes no sense: what is in it for someone to pretend to be a person who was kidnapped numerous years ago. The family has no money, there is no notoriety. Just makes no sense. Based on a true story. Mind-blowingly dull.
½ July 14, 2014
Monday, July 14, 2014

(2011) The Chameleon
PSYCOLOGICAL MYSTERY DRAMA

It says right at the beginning that it's based on a true story, but when you watch it it's just as tediously pointless despite showing some well known actors. It opens the movie in France, with a police car stopping on the middle of a freeway, after seeing a young man encroached naked while on the middle of the road. And after the police requested for his name, he then tells them that he'd been abducted as well as molested without giving any details regarding who it was and where did it happen. And then tells them that his real name is Nicholas Mark Randall, who was abducted from a family who'd been reported missing while living in Louisiana. And he's first greeted by his older sister who assumed the person she was hugging was really his missing brother. Now, it's called "The Chameleon" for a reason as we get to witness the affect his return has on this particular family of nobody's with Famke Janson as police investigator, Jennifer Johnson having her doubts about who he really is. After the film is over, the movie left with many unanswered questions filling the void by using many un abundance crying heartaches and arguing. You can tell a movie is bad is when viewers are able to use a fast forward button on some of the scenes while playing and still be able to tell what's going on.

1 star out of 4
½ December 1, 2012
They've taken a stunning true story story and turned it into a mess... Watch The Imposter which is an infinitely better doco based on the same story.
November 19, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Can't wait to see "The Imposter," a documentary on this true story. This guy really impersonated missing children all his life...for love. Interesting psychological thriller. Don't miss it, now on Neflix.
June 11, 2012
La Chameléon - The Chameleon - TRASH IT (C)
The movie is based upon the true life of European impostor Frédéric Bourdin. He has been in more than 100 houses all over the Europe pretending as their missing sons. His reason for living with different families is not because he wants to rob or hurt them but he just want to seek "Love and Affection".
The movie takes place when he caught first time pretending to be teen missing child in taxes, USA in age 25. The premise of the movie is really interesting but poor direction and weak screenplay made it completely mediocre and sloppy. The director never knew whether he wanted this movie to be a family drama or a thriller. Marc-Andre Grondin was good but lacked proper direction as times he was sweet and at times he seemed psychopath. Emilie De Ravin, Famke Jensen and Brian Geraghty did a fine job. Nick Stahl and Ellen Berkin performance was over the top.
On the whole, it's very mediocre and doesn't do justice to the story.
½ July 16, 2011
I didn't really care for this film.
½ January 4, 2012
Cool premise, but never got into any of the characters... Marc-Andre Grondin will be a good one to watch out for... He has potential... This film just blah...
November 23, 2011
This was a suspenseful, thrilling, dramatic and very emotional movie. One of the best "not popular" movies I've seen in quite awhile. What an AMAZING but unpredictable ending. I would HIGHLY recommend it.
September 28, 2011
½ July 25, 2011
a lot of wasted potential in this film, still interesting... but not enough
December 6, 2010
apparently the film will go direct to DVD which is a real bummer for talented actresses Emile de Ravin and Famke Janssen