The Exile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exile Reviews

January 23, 2012
awesome costume drama
June 29, 2009
I was wicked sleepy while watching this, so maybe it's better than I'm giving it credit for. It also got a little round of applause from the blue hairs and such following the screening at the Siskel (then again, that crowd claps a lot, never more so than when they've just seen a film almost as old as they are... zing!). I said I thought "The Reckless Moment" didn't necessarily seem like material ideally suited to Ophuls' sensibility. Well, obviously, I hadn't seen this yet. The palace intrigue part fits well enough with Ophuls' keen understanding of the bourgeoisie, but a swashbuckling action adventure? That sounds more like a Michael Curtiz flick, and this film was probably trying to recapture the audience of "The Adventures of Robin Hood." Anyway, it's all professionally accomplished, and Fairbanks Jr. mostly does his father proud, though he's not exactly Jackie Chan. Montez is amusing as a Garbo-esque aristocrat. And Corday is lovely playing a kind of earth mother that Fairbanks falls for immediately.
March 1, 2009
Incredibly fun excuse for Douglas Fairbanks Jr. to jump around and swing through windows and flirt with cute little Dutch women. Some really cheesily wonderful cross cutting and extended fight scenes. All transformed from B-movie status by the skill of Max Ophuls.
½ August 5, 2007
The Exile, equal parts romance, comedy, and adventure, is really charming. I really liked Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and thought the script which he wrote for the film was really nice. In this film, which had a certain refined hollywood sensibility, I thought Ophuls again shined. The director or The Bourne Ultimatum should have watched this film first so he knew how to film action in an intelligible and still exciting way.