The Factory

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Factory Reviews

Cynthia S

January 6, 2014
Strange ending. Ok movie, but I guess that's what John Cusack does.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
So good! Review soon.....
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 18, 2013
Huge Thriller, Amazing Twist!

Great Film! The plot is basically a variation on Kiss the Girls with a touch of 8mm at the end. These are two excellent movies to plagiarize. The twist, ridiculous as it is, is good and i didn't see it coming. The film is a taut, edge-of-your-seat thriller in the best tradition of these films. I can't remember when John Cusack has been better, and both Jennifer Carpenter and Dallas Roberts are revelations. A truly great film and that plot twist just made the movie so much more enjoyable. Go see it!

Detective Mike Fletcher, a rugged and obsessive police officer, and his partner Kelsey Walker, are on the trail of a serial killer who prowls the streets targeting young streetwalkers. When his teenage daughter disappears, Fletcher discovers that the killer has kidnapped her after mistaking her for a prostitute. Fletcher's obsession goes into overdrive when he drops all professional restraint to get the killer and save his daughter.
Todd S

January 4, 2011
Crime dramas that are based on a true story are always the best kind of crime dramas, because it really is impossible to make up some of the bizzare fucked up things that go on inside the criminal mind. The Factory follows the investigation into the disappearance of prostitutes in Buffalo, New York, that takes a personal turn when one of the detectives daughters is abducted. John Cusack plays the lead detective and is terrific as always, this guy is so intense in everything that he does, from a dark crime drama like this to a comedy like Hot Tub Time Machine, Cusack always puts it all on the line and the viewers really do appreciate it. He's paired with a young, beautiful partner played by Jennifer Carpenter who feeds off the veteran actor to give a strong performance herself. This movie was a textbook crime drama, that followed both the investigation into the suspect, as well as the activities of the suspect. It was a tremendous story, but what I didn't like is that you knew exactly who the suspect was and where he worked right from the beginning of the film, there was no mystery too it, but the writer makes up for that with a twist in the end that I promise you won't see coming. The twist is jaw dropping and probably right from the true story, but for me, it kind of ruined the film. The Factory was great up until that point, and while I was shocked over what happened, it wasn't exactly what I wanted to see happen. Sometimes you don't know what's going to happen, but you have in your mind the way you want the story to end, and when the film all of a sudden goes in a completely different direction at the very end, you start to wonder if you didn't see it sooner, because it just wasn't written well enough. It's a very cool movie, albeit a little creepy. The Factory has some great performances and is definitely worth seeing, despite the fact that it leaves you craving something different.
Jeffrey M

March 31, 2013
The Factory represents a film that, at first, seems to defy its straight-to-dvd nature, and seems strangely competent for what it appears to be. It has effective performances, an atmospheric tone complemented by moody cinematography, and a story that, despite being unoriginal, is interesting enough to make it pass as a B thriller.

All of that goes out the window as the film progresses, particularly in its third act. The action becomes less grounded and tense, and more ridiculous and forced. The dialogue becomes borderline comical, the film seems to lose everything it had going for it. The final twist ending is what really kills the film, being absurdly asinine, poorly executed, shamelessly setting up a sequel.

2.5/5 Stars
July 21, 2010
Disturbing and stupid...what a great combination! The ending is alright I guess but the climax is dumb. I really wish that they didn't give you a play-by-play on the villain though...it's awkward to watch, uninteresting, and takes away from the suspense. Generic and unpleasant to watch. Worth it in its first half for its John Cusack value but just gets awful after that.
April 9, 2013
I love John Cusack, but this movie is disappointing. There's nothing about it that stands out, and since there are a huge number of crazed killer movies out there, this one will definitely be easy to forget. I managed to sit through it, but by halfway through it was more background noise than anything else.
March 13, 2013
another great john cusack film
February 22, 2014
I normally don't write reviews, but I feel obligated with this one. Blows my mind how a movie can be so good for the first hour, then the last 30 minutes make it one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If you're looking for a movie that makes you think "wow, no human being would ever act that way" and you have zero interest in closure, this is for you.
February 12, 2014
A lackluster, boring thriller with some good acting and fairly nice cinematography.
JDM
January 21, 2014
Mae Whitman and John Cusack were good. But the plot was frustrating and looking back at the end there were things the villain did early in the movie that did not make sense at the end. And the twist at the end was random and deprived the viewer of the logical ending. A twist there just for the sake of inserting a twist.
CynDaVaz
December 26, 2013
Meh ... was decent until the last 10 minutes or so.
Dave J
November 28, 2013
Thursday, November 28., 2013

(2011) The Factory
SUSPENSE THRILLER

Serial killing movie with a twist that doesn't make any sense. Co-written and directed by Morgan O'Neill starring John Cusack as Homicide Mike being in charge of a missing persons case involving prostitutes. Things start to take a turn for the worse when his 17 year old troubling daughter gets abducted suspected to have been abducted by the same person who abducted all those other prostitutes. Aforementioned, 80% is very routine until the twist toward the end which I don't care too much about leaving me with more questions. "The Factory also uses many flashbacks that still doesn't add up even after seeing all of them.

1 star out of 4
November 17, 2013
awesome movie. but the ending pissed me off so fuckin bad i wanted to throw the tv out the window. i was not expecting that shit
November 10, 2013
I enjoyed The Factory until the third act and then it suddenly went down hill and fast, a shame as it was quite a solid film up to that point.
Djaxn  .
September 16, 2013
Not a terrible movie, despite having only one star. Not a bad enough movie to be entertaining. Just flat. The "twist" at the end is rather a forced bend, and is incredulous. This somewhat enjoyable movie falls on it's face as it fizzles abruptly in utter unbelievability. But Cusack is solid, as ever.
August 4, 2013
Didn't like the ending for failure to tie loose ends, and more so, for creating all sorts of loose ends.
sandy J.
July 8, 2013
I like Cusack, Carpenter and thrillers, so I was willing to give this movie a try. It wasn't bad until the end. I didn't like the resolution and felt it was rushed and lacked foundation.
July 7, 2013
decent movie , predictable twist
Loose D.
June 11, 2013
If good movies leave the viewer asking questions, then so far this film is on track. "Who funds this stuff? and "Why did Cusack take this part?" are the questions driving my review.

Fine acting and credible directing, but the formula-driven story line keeps this vehicle moving at a crawl, then the "twist" at the end broadsides us and totals it completely. I might could salvage a few parts if I had a cheesy slasher film masquerading as a detective thriller sitting in my garage, but I don't. So we won't talk about Cusack and Carpenter and Dallas Roberts, who can all use parts from this wreck on their reel. The plot is sick and debauched in a "my directing debut" way. But it's not anyone's debut. Morgan O'Neill, the Aussie director, had a hand in writing it- so let's blame him. My teen ager came in halfway during the movie and I sent him out of the room to go kill people on his video screen. It's that kind of sick. The final plot twist was laid out with the skill of a toddler twisting the handle on a jack-in-the-box. Or a 17-year old delivering a baby by cesarian section, if you believe O'Neill's dramatic sensibilities.

I realized a third of the way through the movie that I didn't care about any of these people, but I wanted to keep watching just to see the bad guy get his due, cause he's convincingly bad. Then I wanted to find out what actual events inspired this movie. I should have quit after the first third. Implausible, misleading, and ultimately unsatisfying on all fronts.

I did find a news story on murdered prostitutes in Buffalo, so that's the toehold this movie uses to build a "based on actual events" tagline. But murdered prostitutes is all this movie has in common with actuality. A more honest tagline would be "The 108-minute Killer", because that really DID happen and I lived it.