The Haunted Airman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Haunted Airman Reviews

October 5, 2010
An amateurishly made film with bland performances. It is most definitely a slow burner that likes to think its slow pace makes it look somewhat poetic in nature, but all it does is wear the viewer down until they give up and turn it off or just stop paying attention. This happened to me numerous times. There's not really any horror in the movie nor any compelling drama, just tiresome cliches about the psychology of a war veteran and the toll it takes on them. Don't be fooled into thinking this is worthy of your time just because known actors are in it. It most certainly is not, and even at a slim 70 minutes the movie is still too long. This would have been an alright 30 minute tv movie to show on Halloween, but stretched beyond all measure it simply doesn't make the cut.
xxdebxx
½ April 2, 2010
I have not read the book and therefore cannot comment on the accuracy of the film.

This is the story of Toby Jugg, a RAF pilot who gets injured during a bomb raid and is sent to a convalescent home to rehabilitate himself mentally as well as receiving physical therapy from Sister Sally Grant played by Melissa Lloyd. She appears to be Toby's friend and confidante but all he wants is to be home with his beautiful aunt-in-law Julia (Rachel Stirling) who the viewer realizes almost immediately he is in love with. As time passes Toby comes to realize that all is not as it seems when a patients who seemed to be improving dies. Instead Dr. Hal Burns (Julian Sands) is keeping him isolated and not sending his letters to his Aunt nor passing her correspondence to him. His paranoia really kicks in as he begins to hallucinate hundreds of spiders/crows coming to get him. To top it all off he realizes that his lover, Julia, has turned against him and the only person he can trust is himself. This sets off a chain of events leading to a tragic but predictable ending.

I just wasted 70 minutes of my time and still don't have a clue as to why he constantly saw spiders and who killed the other patient?
September 1, 2010
Much too boring. I don't know what happened after the first 45 minutes or so, but I never found out.
½ December 27, 2013
It's bewildering how BBC can turn a great novel by Dennis Wheatley into a a cheap television movie. I really thought it was going to be just as in-depth as the book but they just manage to create their own story and put "based on a novel by Dennis Wheatley" along the lines. I still think Robert Pattinson was a great choice of Toby Jugg, but this adaption is very poor and not really worth watching if you've read the book. It's a huge let down. No giant spider, no mass rituals, and no uncle that's a push over. BBC you've let me down...
½ February 26, 2013
Ok, I'm a big Robert Pattinson fan, and this movie was horrible. Most of the time you had no clue what was going on. I get it that he pretty much had gone insane but there was no real climax, you knew what was going to happen half way through the movie. Also, even though the movie was only an hour long, it felt like it would never end. I appreciated the attempt but if i could i would give this movie a big ZERO. It was that bad!!
February 5, 2013
Young Robert Pattinson (20) in one of his earlier movies. Clearly was a low budget movie, but I'm glad I watched it. The actress who played his love interest looked waaaaay too old for him.
½ September 17, 2012
A thoroughly distorting and frightening film anchored by a equally unhinged breakout performance by Robert Pattinson
May 13, 2012
Rather odd little BBC production. It wasn't the worst movie I'd ever seen, but it's not the best either.
January 10, 2012
i love this movie...i thought it was great and interesting...rob is very good in this and his voice has such a haunting element to it and i felt remorse for his character...the only negative would be the constant smoking throughout the whole thing lol...
March 9, 2011
Pre Brooding emo Cullen days, Robert Pattinson stared in a straight to DVD bargain bin burner titled The Haunted Airman where he plays a Brooding Emo Pilot. Don't question the range of this actor, the angst he brings to the Tormented Toby Jugg is quite different than the vampire Drama. Toby Jugg Smokes, A lot!

Toby Jugg is troubled. He is paralyzed by night terrors, fear, paranoia, and a severe spinal injury. If in fact Aracnophobia was the scariest film of all time you will get the creeps from the spider nest of a hospital in which our mental mama's boy resides. Filmed and pasted into this movie from your very own back yard.

The film isn't a complete train wreck, not a train in sight actually. There isn't much of anything to see or talk about. Pattinson is actually quite good when he isn't smoking and keeping things to himself. His portrayl of claustrophobia in wide open spaces is a site to be hold even if the crippling scenes are few and far in between this 80 minute snooze fest.

Why is Toby haunted? That's advertised every 2 minutes from beginning to end. Why should anyone care? Well they say real horror is not knowing right?

according to the internet, The Book in which this viewing is based titled "The Haunting of Toby Jugg" is known for its contraversal lunacy. There in lies the Real Horror, it's out of print. AHHHHHH!
January 10, 2011
If Robert Pattinson hadn't been in this movie, I would have shut it off within 15 minutes. And as it turned out, I was sorry I didn't do that anyway. The eye candy is not enough to make up for the fact that this movie really sucks. It's painfully slow-moving, the characters are not likeable at all, and this was just generally a waste of time.
December 6, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

It doesn't completely work, but the film kept me intrigued throughout with its story. Interesting but flawed.
October 5, 2010
½ May 18, 2010
I will start by admiting that i only wanted to see this because i wanted to see what else Robert Pattinson had been in. I think he was convincing enough and did his part. The concept of the movie was interesting. Obviously the film is low budget so no reason to expect outstanding special effects. I think the movie was ok. Definately could have been better, but it wasn't "oh my god i wanna pluck my eyes out of my skull" horrible either.
May 18, 2010
You have the BBC. You have some fine English actors. You have some interesting premises for a script. So at the credits you're intrigued where this film may go. Then, like the worst paper cut you've ever sustained, you have perhaps the worst editing job in the history of cinema. What do you get? A disjointed film that has you guessing literally every 3 minutes whether you're watching a flashback, or a dream sequence, or some kind of purgatory metaphor. Really, by about the hour mark you are looking through the fridge for an excuse to hit the pause/stop button. Yikes! Robert Pattinson should really be more careful about the kinds of roles he takes coming right out of the gate from the "twilight" series. He'd hate to become type cast as just another blockbuster movie actor doomed to awful movies after enjoying an early career success.
½ May 18, 2010
Extremely drab, extremely boring and without any real suspense or action what so ever. The ending definitely left something to be desired as well. The only saving grace was Rob's performance, which surprised me as he isn't an actor I generally care for. I have to say, though, he was amazing in all the right ways in this movie. Other than his acting, though, everything else... not even mediocre at best.
½ May 18, 2010
I rate this as a 70 because it's a terrificly horrible movie. I get the concept, and it made terrific sense, but didnt go where it should have to make it a fabulous movie.
In no way was me buying this movie today serendipitous.
Theres horror and suspense but mostly a psycological thriller.
The thing I liked most about this movie is that it shows in an odd way the hardships of war.
½ May 18, 2010
I watched two movies last night, and of the two this is the one stuck in my head. It is a British made thought provoking film. If you can be with the tone and style of British made films to begin with, and set aside American standards and ideals of how it should look like, then the film's story was presented in a way that has an impact. Robert Pattinson came across as a young, green actor and you have to start somewhere. I think this film required a wide range of diverse emotional ability, and Pattinson did touch the cusp of being effective. I would have like to see him more tortured and less 'pretty'. He is holding back his true potential as an actor in this film, and it felt like a testing ground for his self-confidence. Pattinson needs to stop beating himself up in real life to pull something like this off, so I have one piece of advice for Pattinson if he wants to really produce great films... GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY!
½ May 18, 2010
This is by far, the Worst Movie I have EVER seen. You will sit through extreme waves of bordom...hoping it will at some point pick up and atleast be worth the dollar you paid to see it...and then abruptly it ENDS. Having made NO SENSE whatsoever and leaving you even MORE confused then when it started. It was honestly a COMPLETE waste of my time. I am still in disappointed SHOCK.
½ May 18, 2010
This movie will be enjoyable for serious Robert Pattinson fans, but that's about it. I'm sorry to say that it gives a lot of the movie away to say that he spends a lot of time smoking and staring into space. Doesn't say a lot about the film, but he does it well! The plot, such as it is, is confused and confusing, and those of us who remember Julian Sands fondly from Room With A View will be dismayed by his character here. But Robert Pattinson is in every scene, is delightful to watch as always, and when they actually allow him to say something the movie gets more interesting. He recently said in an MTV interview that prior to Twilight he took everything he was offered and made the best of it; looks like that's the case here. Bring on Remember Me!