The Heart Is a Drum Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heart Is a Drum Machine Reviews

April 10, 2011
Quirky movie that looks to scientists and musicians to answer the question "What is music?". I found the interviews with the damaged musicians pretty entertaining. I recommend it to those who enjoy creating music.
May 5, 2010
A scientific look at music. Why do we have an emotional response to music? This is the main focus of the film. The problem is that there are many points of view with no real answer.
½ April 15, 2012
cool in parts with the people i wanted to see. kind of a huge douche-fest otherwise.
April 10, 2011
January 23, 2011
A mixed bag of interviews about the nature of music.
January 7, 2011
Aside from the John Frusciante unedited interview its pretty much cack.
July 31, 2010
I'm always up for listening in on an interesting discussion of what music is, but this documentary is far too unfocused to get much out of it.
Imagine, if you will, over an hour of scientists and people in the music industry (and oddly, film actors) talking about what their opinion of music is.
Instead of being enlightening, it ends up sounding just... pretentious most of the time, if not downright pointless. I mean who cares that Julliette Lewis made out to Depeche Mode as a teenager?
Then again, Tim & Eric are in it. Their segment made me laugh, for sure.
May 5, 2010
April 27, 2010
This documentary was phenomenal. What the artists have to say about music is captivating, intriguing, and mesmerizing all in one. You simply get lost in this movie, similar you can get lost in music. The revelations revealed during the interviews are some of the most intelligent things I've ever heard in my life.
It is short, and easily digestible (though I could have watched it for another hour and a half easily). The camera and editing is very simple. Direct, straight forward, and to the point. It isn't a glossy documentary, with fancy narration or a real point - it's just a bunch of artists vibing about music - something I love.
I will definitely buy this when I can. I recommend this to every one who truly loves and gets music as something more on a CD (or iPod these days). If you're not part of the spiritual plane, still check it out . Borrow it, check out the trailer - just get exposed to it somehow. All in all - fantastically wonderful and beautiful movie.
½ April 9, 2010
Really cool documentary in which musicians, producers, scientists, etc. answer the question: "What is music?" If you're a musician or music nerd, CHECK THIS OUT.