• R, 1 hr. 37 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things Reviews

Luke B

March 27, 2010
Asia Argento presents a bleak, disturbing and horrific film. Argento refuses to undermine the story by offering no final solution. The films main purpose is to make the audience feel very uncomfortable. Problems like child abuse are easy to put aside as coverage of real life events must always be handled with tact. Argento goes for a more direct approach. Argento and the boys all give sterling performances, and are aided by a never-ending stream of boyfriends from Manson-Renner. The Sprouse boys have certainly come along way and their performances are intune with each other. Wonderful, but not light, stuff.
Nicki M

January 19, 2008
This movie was excellent - extremely disturbing and certainly wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Jimmy Bennett is excellent as a little boy in foster care who's drugged up, hopeless, too awful for words mother comes back to claim him. What follows is so horrific that it came as quite a relief to do a bit more research and discover the "true story" was in fact a hoax, but all the same, sure there are plenty of people out there this type of crap does happen to, and this was so well done. It has a few cameo appearances in it by various people such as Michael Pitt, Winona Ryder and Marilyn Manson - none of them are in it for more than a few minutes, so not worth renting just to see any of those if you are a fan. I was impressed with Winona's appearance though, it was darkly funny and actually nearly didn't recognise her.
deano
deano

August 12, 2007
Really strange and awuflly true story of a poor innocent little boy's life turned hell while he spent with his drug-addicted hooker mother. I felt so sorry for a little boy. And actress-director-screenwriter Asia Argento who plays as a mother looks like a wild Courteney Love in this film.
vieras e

April 17, 2007
Dis-tur-bing.
Aaron N

November 24, 2006
Movies I never want to see again.

An hour and forty minutes of a child being abused by his drug addicted mother. It's just very sad and a little scary if anything. You can say that there is good acting here, but the movie is too damn bleak, and not well in getting anything across that is worthwhile.
William G

December 30, 2006
Depiction of child neglect is exceedingly unpleasant and downright petty.
March 4, 2011
Words can not express what I was thinking while watching this movie; It was a year ago and my boyfriend and I still talk about the movie today.
December 21, 2010
What IS the purpose of this movie? Nothing about it is redemptive, nor does it inspire any kind of action to prevent these kinds of things from happening. It's one of those films that seem to have come about when someone said, "How many horrible things can we have happen to a young boy?" Nothing worth seeing in this but 2 hours of unnecessary misery.
rexsharpe
February 2, 2010
2/1/10 - God, I'm so glad this movie isn't a true story. What a horrible tale!! What a fantastic movie, tho!!! Yes!!!
June 12, 2008
As pointless as it was heartless. I didn't help that the source material was a hoax. Not worth my time. I do, however, enjoy me some Jeremy Renner.
rockaholic69
July 5, 2008
an interesting movie. it was a little hard to get into at first but once you did, you almost couldn't look away. the bond between the mother and son could never be broken, no matter what was thrown at them.
July 18, 2007
gummo - but waaayyy more punk! slash/way more brutal. i had nightmares and woke up sweating after this one.
FoolForVanity
March 13, 2007
This makes me love Asia even more. I apprecite "sleaze/exploitation" even more as well. But its not over,look up JT Leroy @ any bookstore and dive deeper into the world of jeremiah and sarah.
bgh931
May 6, 2007
I have seen bits and pieces and it looks good to me but scary at the same time Dylan and Cole Sprouse
Rated R
February 7, 2008
I've never done crystal meth, but I assume it would be like watching this movie. I felt gross and uncomfortable the whole time, but I couldn't stop and when it was over I just wanted to take a shower.
February 2, 2007
This was a pretty hard watch, but the art house syle is interesting enough to keep things rolling even when you're praying for it to end because you don't want to see anymore misery heaped on this poor child.

Definitely worth a look, but recommended for those willing to take a Prozac or two to even themselves out after watching this wholly depressing film.
October 7, 2007
The Heart is either a very fucked up movie to be watched only by fucked up people or it is the best social worker training video of all time. Imagine White Oleander meets Requiem For A Dream. This is supposed to be based on the real life events of J.T. LeRoy, a very confused man who was once a very confused boy.

This movie is laughable in parts and very uncomfortable in others. Is it wrong to give a nine year old boy ecstasy? Is it more wrong for that same little boy to seduce a grown man into having sex with him? What did I tell you? Fucked up! Some would say that this is my kind of movie, and those people wouldn't be wrong. I dig sick shit.
GhostX84
GhostX84

June 7, 2007
a totally fucked up gut check from the beautiful and talented Asia Argento...this is not for the faint of heart
Aria625
September 10, 2007
This Movie Totally Blew my mind i have seen it afew times, it really shows people what really does happen when you get lost into drugs.
alg1213
June 24, 2007
the most fucked up child abuse movie i have seen. but the book and the author have quite the interesting twist