The Mercenary (Il Mercenario) (A Professional Gun) Reviews

½ January 2, 2011
It's like an unofficial prequel to Companeros, but that's not a bad thing at all. In fact, it's almost just as fun and I feel as though Jack Palance's character was even more evil in this. Franco Nero is pretty hilarious as a gluttonous mercenary who manipulates a gang of Mexican revolutionaries. Tony Musante is nothing compared to the Italian superstar known as Thomas Milian, but considering that this came out before Companeros it doesn't make the movie lacking anything expected. Sergio Corbucci may have not been quite as talented as Sergio Leone, but he has quite the collection of amazing spaghetti westerns under his belt. This is in my opinion way more violent than The Wild Bunch so if you're looking for machine guns up the wazoo and carnage galore, this is it.
May 6, 2010
In many ways this feels like the foundation of what would be "Compaņeros". The chemistry between Nero and Musante is not as strong as the one the first has with Tomas Milian. The movie is fun but it feels that is making the story as it goes. Morricone is great as usual, not that you need to be told anyway.
April 9, 2013
I've got this movie on a cheap DVD with 20 bad Westerns. The title for this movie on the DVD is "Revenge of a Gunfighter. This is just a cheap Italian Western set during the Mexican Revolution. It had to be set just before or during World War I since they had an airplane in the movie. It follows three men and one woman as they go from one robbery to another. The men are a Polish-American mercenary, a Mexican bandit turned revolutionary, and an American gambler. They go from one gunfight to another with no set-up in between. The characters are just one dimensional stereotypes. The gunfights are unrealistic and the many dead characters are replaced by other faceless characters to be shot down in the next gunfight. The cheap DVD had a very grainy faded copy of the movie. At the end of the movie I realized I had heard the music used in this movie before. A lot of it was used in Kill Bill Volume 2.
June 11, 2009
Dude, I think I own this. And I need to see it again because the first time I had troubles with il Italiano and the subs. Merda.

This is a western with a sense of some dry humor, and variating heros and some action I think (?). I can't comment on anything particularly interesting except for its character driven plot. Paco the Itlian speaking Mexicano, and the central character the Italian speaking Amerrrkin are a good pair of characters bringing their own plots at the encounter. This is a rare bitch of a movie. Try to see it, douche bags.
August 13, 2007
Exciting, invigorating "political" spaghetti western from Corbucci. Nero, Palance, Ralli and Fajardo are great, while Musante is a bit lost and not really convincing. He's not bad just not very good, either. The music is great, the photography is excellent and the plot is solid. Available (in horrible pan & scan quality) on numerous cheap DVD compilations under the title "A Professional Gun." Check it out.
August 15, 2015
Nothing beyond Jack Palance and Morricone's music.
August 4, 2014
I love The beggining Part when He was a Clown before being a revolutionary
March 11, 2014
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

(1968) The Mercenary/ Il Mercenario

Directed by Sergio Corbucci of many Spaghetti Westerns, for this movie can be defined as one of Sergio Leone's influences for the 1971 film called "Duck You Sucker" or the USA title "A Fistful Of Dynamite" and vice versa, since this movie also borrows from Leone's 1964 film, "A Fistful Of Dollars" to "The Good, The Bad...". The ideas are somewhat similar, which involves a young mercenary-for-hire, called "The Polish" (Franco Nero)bonding with a wanted Mexican revolutionist, Paco Roman (Tony Musante). The only thing Polish cares about is the money, which is similar to the Rod Steiger character in "Duck You, Sucker", while both of their partners care about the reunification of Mexico. Anyone looking for any kind of Western historical accuracy are not going to find it here or any other Spaghetti Westerns, since they rely on total spontaneity, which the situations are intended for it's most radicalized direction. People who look for total Western accuracy are too thick and narrow minded to enjoy these movies that can be like any fictionalize Western novel ever made. And this is one of few films, aside from Leone's movies, Ennio Morricone's musical score stands out besides the movie itself.

3 out of 4 stars
February 9, 2014
I was 16 when I first saw this movie with a mate. Boys will be boys and we loved it- so much so we went back and saw it again. Guns landscape and some great characters and a brilliant soundtrack .I'm now 59, still mates with my pal and want to see this again! Guy
May 19, 2013
Sergio Corbucci yet again succeeded in making an absolutely awesome spaghetti western with Il Mercenario, or The Mercenary. It's comparable to Corbucci's later spaghetti Zapata western known as Companeros, which has a similar role from Franco Nero and Jack Palance, as well as from Thomas Milian (who is similar to Tony Musante in this movie). Il Mercenario is set during the Mexican revolution, where a Polish mercenary named Sergei Kowalski (Franco Nero) is hired by a revolutionary peasant named Paco Roman (Tony Musante) in order to bring independence to Mexico.

They form a somewhat love/hate relationship with each other, where although both of them have different morals (Sergei is leaning towards the money, while Paco is leaning towards freedom), they respect and work with each other. Nero is the epitome of cool (after Clint Eastwood, of course), with his smart, witty, anti-hero like traits as a Polish mercenary. Tony Musante as Paco Ramon reminded me of Tuco from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, with his foolish and silly actions, along with his sense of humor, as well as how he teams up with Kowalski (like Tuco did with the Good). Jack Palance as Curly is flat out creepy, with his facial expressions defining his ruthlessness. Giovanni Ralli also does a good job at portraying a woman named Columba, who helps Kowalski and Ramon on their journey. There's tons of action, with machine guns practically destroying battlefields, as well as a fast pace that assures that you won't get bored.

The finale is amazing, and sent chills up my spine with its haunting music and the expressions of the characters by their faces. The soundtrack, which is by Ennio Morricone, is just as amazing as you would expect it to be, and the main song called "L'arena" was featured in Kill Bill Volume 2 and Inglourious Basterds. Overall, this is an unforgettable spaghetti western that should not be missed by fans of the genre, and even though it's not as good as Django and The Great Silence by Corbucci, Il Mercenario still remains one of the most entertaining and flat out cool westerns I've seen.
½ March 30, 2013
Another very good Spaghetti Western
½ October 25, 2012
The Mercenary is a mostly rudimentary Zapata Western, but not being a fan of the particular subgenre, The Mercenary felt a bit flat and uninteresting. However, Morricone delivers perhaps the only other score of his movies that come close to his masterpieces. The score is so memorable and simply exhilarating, especially coupled with the fantastic showdown.
August 30, 2010
This movie comes pretty close to The Man with No Name.