The Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Monster Reviews

½ October 11, 2011
A generic "mad scientist" plot, and the ghoulish, hooded henchman is a more interesting villain than Chaney's own character. A film better suited for horror-movie historians than Chaney fans.
December 7, 2014
Don't you dare call me mad!

A store clerk is approached by a beautiful maiden about some strange events going on at an insane asylum. The clerk is in the process of becoming a detective and decides to follow the maiden's nose of possible misdeeds. The clerk and maiden find a crazy, whacked out mad man that has strange creatures in cages that occasionally get out and cause havoc. Can the clerk and maiden bring the mad man down?

"Do you know who I am?"
"No."
"Neither do I?"

Roland West, director of Alibi, The Bat, Nobody, The Unknown Purple, Driftwood, The Bat Whispers, and Lost Souls, delivers The Monster. The storyline for this picture is actually very good and delivered in a mysterious and well paced manner. I loved how they rolled out the villain and the acting is very good. The cast includes Lon Chaney, Gertrude Olmstead, Hallam Cooley, and Johnny Arthur.

"I can't do anything until my detective diploma comes in...then I'll show them!"

I DVR'd this film off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past Halloween season. I am a huge Lon Chaney fan; but even as a fan, I was pleasantly surprised by his magnificent performance in this picture. His character was very unpredictable and well delivered. He kept the film intense and filled with drama. This is definitely a classic film worth your time.

"Sometimes he gets out...does terrible things..."

Grade: B+