—— The Identical Sep 05

The Princess and the Pirate Reviews

garyX
garyX

May 27, 2008
Old Bob Hope films were always amongst my favourites growing up, and this is one of his funniest. He plays Sylvester The Great, man of seven faces ("I travel a lot. With my act, it's safer!") who saves runaway princess Virginia Mayo from the clutches of evil buccaneer The Hook. The gags flow thick and fast complete with Hope's usual self-deprecating one liners and loads of slapstick and sight gags; if you imagine Pirates Of The Caribbean done by the Marx brothers you're in the right ball park. Walter Brennan is hilarious as a crazy old pirate and Mayo is very easy on the eye in the classic tradition of old style Hollywood glamour. It still makes me laugh out loud pretty much non-stop after all these years and is the kind of classic comedy that appeals to every age.
Apeneck F

May 3, 2012
Wacky fun as The Great Sylvester,The Man With Seven Faces, sort of a early travelling performance artist, gets caught up with bloodthirsty pirates and a beautiful woman on the infamous Spanish Main. "Haven't you got any backbone, the girl asks our intrepid hero. "Yes, but not like you have", is the quick reply. Innocuous entertainment with the obligatory cameo at the last few frames ... guess who?
AJ V

September 5, 2010
One of my favourite Hope movies, it's hilarious, and I love the ending. I highly recommend it if you're a fan too.
poohtiger
poohtiger

December 23, 2006
Bob Hope at his best. Virginia Mayo drop dead gorgeous. Funny as can be. Slyvester: "I'll chop off his liver! Say, that might be pretty good, chopped liver".
girlanachronism13
February 16, 2007
Bob Hope may be the star, but it just doesn't get any better than Walter Brennan. Great cast, crazy comedy, and a fantastic cameo at the end. The movie certainly stands up to multiple viewings--it's hard to see any Bob Hope movie and catch everything the first time around. Some of the humor might be dated (unless, of course, you're familiar with the entertainment industry of the era) and it also helps if you know the films it's parodying. Much fun.
September 1, 2014
A fun screwball comedy with Bob Hope excellently leading the cast
jazza923
May 12, 2012
MY FAVORITE BOB HOPE FILM, WONDERFULLY WRITTEN. GREAT SUPPORT FROM WALTER BRENNAN. VERY VERY FUNNY, ALWAYS ENJOYABLE