97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Safety of Objects Reviews

Nicki M

February 29, 2008
Saw this sometime ago and really enjoyed it, so was glad to see it going really cheap on Amazon.
The rewatch was just as good. Great cast including a very young Kristen Stewart. I liked how the stories about the three sets of neighbours all wound together. Though it is a drama, there is some black humor there as well. The Barbie doll in particular made me laugh. Very realistic with that hair - kind of creepy actually!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 8, 2009
What an odd movie.. I liked it and I really don't know why.. these neighbors are as screwed up as the next.. they are like one big disfunctioal family living in different house's on one street.. but yet this film is very sad too.. theres just so much going on.. its just something you need to watch for yourself to understand.. I loved it.
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
Odd, yet very likeable film.
Megan S

February 9, 2007
So I bought this movie as an impulse buy at hollywood video for $5. it was actually really good. and the way that they did the opening credits was really creative and wonderful. they had four different houses and little people on tracks came out of each house to represent the different members of each of the four families. plus the symbolism about the stoicness of the little plastic people on the repetitive tracks in and out of the houses was good. even though the summary says that they are all having different problems they all stem from one car accident that connects them all together. and each main character is obsessed with an "object," whether it be a car, a job, a doll, or unfortunately, a comatose son. so it was about people finding solace in these objects and then realizing that they have to come to terms with reality and let things go. and there are a lot of other things going on as well.
christiebrandt10
March 6, 2012
WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRDDDDDDDD movie!!!! there is really nothing more that I can say but that.
xandiXlizXmackix
October 5, 2008
Welcome to the neighborhood, where the neighbors are nice, keep their affairs secret, have usual desires, and live in familiar life. Esther Gold's life is consumed by caring her comatose son Paul all day and night. Jim Train feels that his family no longer needs him and is sent into a tailspin when he's passed over for a promotion. Helen Christianson is determined to shake up her mundane life while trying new products to keep her feeling young. Annette Jennings, in a midst of a messy divorce, struggles financially to care for her two daughters. In a series of overlapping stories four suburban families who deal with different maladies will bring their fates facing with the truth.

Directed by Rose Troche, The Safety Of Objects features great acting performances from the following cast:
1.) Glenn Close (Esther Gold)
2.) Joshua Jackson (Paul Gold)
3.) Jessica Campbell (Julie Gold)
4.) Dermot Mulroney (Jim Train)
5.) Alex House (Jake Train)
6.) Moira Kelly (Susan Train)
7.) Mary Kay Place (Helen Christianson)
8.) Patricia Clarkson (Annette Jennings)
9.) Kristen Stewart (Sam Jennings)
10.) Timothy Olyphant (Randy)

I may not be a fan of independent cinema, but when I watched The Safety Of Objects I find it as an excellent story for the series of overlapping stories about four different families in one big confusion. The comatose state that Paul was in may be silent to me as while Joshua Jackson didn't deliver any lines, he at least did a good acting job. As she's playing the tomboyish, short-haired Sam Jennings who likes to smoke, the young Kristen Stewart was only seven years away from Twilight. I got amused with the voice-overs when Jake has romantic fantasies with his younger sister's doll - and I wish I'd like to have such fantasies while looking at the dolls. (Just kidding...I would never do that!) Since this is a drama, The Safety Of Objects may be slow but it's not at all boring; its plot is moving that it helped me get through my viewing experience. I would like to watch more independent movies like this.
PillowPantss
January 27, 2009
people with nice jobs and perfect grass, upset that they're not immune to bad shit. the kids are crazy and it's completely entertaining!! one word...the barbie. haha.
December 9, 2007
JRTfan
December 23, 2006
Something has to be said of a movie where you see a 15 year old boy crouching underneath a restaurant table clutching a Barbie doll and saying "Give me some sugar" Weird yet satisfying.
justjoustin
December 26, 2011
This films is a mess and never takes off. It's intentions are evident, but clumsy direction makes it nothing more than a chance for Glenn Close and co to stumble around looking disaffected and distant.
Jesse T

May 21, 2011
The Safety of Objects is based on a series of short stories by A.M. Homes about four different families whose lives are intertwined due to the tragedies they have experienced.

I was kind of disappointed by this film; I think I was expecting a lot more due to the fact that it has a cast that is to die for. The problem with this film, however, isn't the cast. In fact, the cast is quite good. The main problem is the story. There's too much going on and at the same time not enough is going on.

I'm sure the source material is lovely, but I was not enthralled at all during the film. I often found it to be quite dull. It has its moments, that's for sure, thanks to the excellent performances from Glenn Close and Patricia Clarkson, but their stories only make up about forty percent of the film.

The film drags along at parts and it's really painful to get through. This film tackles the popular intertwined lives storytelling style, but unfortunately it falls flat compared to something like Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia. Most of these characters' stories are just uninteresting and it's just not worth the time to delve into the drama.

Rose Troche's direction is subtle and effective at times, but it's her screenplay that is the weak link here. Kudos to the actors, but unfortunately they can't save this from being just another dull installment to the expanding pile of suburban tragedy films.
Virus
August 15, 2005
I always find these suburbian people, with large cast, interconnecting story lines, always interesting. There is nothing overly original about it, but it is extremely watchable. Like most of these type of movies each story isn't as interesting as the other. But none of them terrible.
jazza923
June 5, 2005
UNINVOLVING STORY OF THE INTERMINGLING OF SOME SUBURBANITE FAMILIES. VERY WELL ACTED BUT VERY EMPTY AND UNFEELING. WAY LOO LONG FOR IT'S OWN GOOD, CONFUSINGLY DIRECTED.
parapluie
February 19, 2004
[font=Arial Black]The Safety Of Objects is a movie I could see again at some point in my life and cry the same way I did now. It is a very moving, detailed story of 4 families, artfully crafted, come on, it was amazing! It was witty and the storyline was funny and sensitive. It is a pleasurable thing to watch when you are alone maybe...I really enjoyed it. I did cry at the end, it really made sense to me.[/font]
dissent
November 8, 2003
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]The Safety of Objects effectively shows us that you can have all the necessary production elements of a good film, such as a great ensemble cast, good direction, good camerawork, etc., yet the end product can come out as absolute trash. [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]The film is told in the now familiar Tarantinoesque styling of several separate stories that have weak links with each other, but overall they all restate the theme of the film. Only unlike Tarantino films where the characters are interesting, this film is about suburban families who are among the most drab and mundane characters in film, even compared to other suburban film characters. These characters also make completely idiotic and unrealistic decisions, which would work if the theme of the film was that "people are stupid", but it wasn't, and in reality, they aren't. At least not like that.[/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]It was almost a blessing and a curse that the film looked good enough for me to continue watching, not to mention it starred Glenn Close and Patricia Clarkson, who were both very good in the film. I halfway expected some point to be made that justified the two hours of monotony. That point never came, at least not one interesting enough that made the previous one hour and fifty minutes not seem such a waste.[/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3]Don't waste your money or your time on this one.[/size][/font]