The Substitute

No Score Yet

The Substitute Reviews

Luke B
May 30, 2012
A wonderfully made little Danish gem. A class of 6th graders discover that the new substitute is an alien. Of course, the parents don't believe them and the teacher is an expert at manipulation. It puts aside the usual, alien conquers the world story and goes for one of an alien trying to understand love and empathy. It's actually a way of saving her own species, rather than dooming ours, though she doesn't go about it in the best way. It looks good, but also plays it a bit too serious.
thefog1331 thefog1331
½ March 28, 2009
Comedic coming-of-age story with a sci-fi twist.
Enjoyably offbeat film from Denmark that should be watched in its original form since the english language dub is horribly laughable.
Naughtia Naughtia
½ May 30, 2012
This movie was ok and pretty creepy at times, this is definetely not a childrens movie. This is a Danish movie about a 6th grade class who gets a new substitute teacher as their old teacher has got sick. She shows some weird and evil sides alread from the beginning and the children are afraid. When she wants to take the class to Paris the children begin to panic because they don't want to be taken away by her. The parents of course don't believe the children when they try to reveal her.
John2223 John2223
½ October 8, 2009
The Ghost House Underground presents an entry from Denmark with not a lot of special effects, but it sustains suspense and anxiety. It is a very entertaining movie; part social commentary, part black comedy, part horror with stunning performances by virtually all the actors and a very effective script.
Christopher B
½ May 30, 2012
The best from the Ghosthouse Underground boxset so far. A great film for kids and adults alike, filled with lots of laughs and some fantastic imagery. The kids are very endearing and charming, reminding me of a lot of the "kids movies" I've liked in the past (Monster Squad, Goonies, etc). The scene when the kids are being taken to a bus heading to Paris is classic. Really good stuff.
So lets see. So far in the Ghost House Underground boxset we have 2 excellent films, 2 good ones and 1 okay one, with 3 more to go. Fuck Rue Morgue magazine.
ken j
½ May 30, 2012
When 6th grade gets a new teacher something seems really odd about her that the kids cant really figure out she is mean rude able to read there minds then they find out just what sets her apart from the other teachers except no one will listen the parents and school think there crazy now its up to this 6th grade class to stop her. Really good sci fi/horror film shouldnt be missed but dont look for blood or gore here there isnt any and some of the dubbing makes you wanna laugh but still with all that i would for sure recommend it.
Kat S ½ May 30, 2012
not even that bad as one would think. Granted there are a couple really cheesy moments, it's still well done
Ken D
½ May 30, 2012
This is a pretty decent sci fi flick that really depends on good performances from the cast. The story got a little slow at times and slightly flawed, but this was still a decent movie to watch.
John G ½ May 30, 2012
Bornedal?s The Substitute is a great piece of entertainment and accessible enough for the anti-subtitle ?I don?t like foreign films? person in your life. How can anyone not be entertained by this cast of kids and this memorable villain, played by Paprika Steen? She?s an unflappable phony, with a mile-wide mean streak, and mental powers to boot, and she makes a great foil against this cast of pale-faced Nordic pre-teens. They?re one of the best ensembles of kids I?ve ever seen. There are some bumpy plot holes towards the end of the film, but The Substitute is such a crowd-pleaser, so funny and exciting, that those holes are easily overlooked.
Kym (c my community profile)
½ December 19, 2008
This was creepy. 2 ways the intended way. The other way was it was bad. The dubbing did not seem good. The Sub well I didn?t think she was a very good actress. I was bored watching it. D
Jason D ½ October 16, 2008
I gotta say that The Substitute really took me by surprise! With virtually no blood, only 1 death, and just a couple of CG and visual effects, this movie HEAVILY relies on a terrific cast of mostly children to keep me very entertained throughout this entire movie. Hell, it only took about 5 "Fuck's" to give it an R-rating. Personally, I don't find Fuck offensive, so really, in my eyes, this films could have passed for PG. Anyways, a group of varying students are taken by surprise when they get a new Substitute teacher (whose already been established as an Alien from the beginning of the film) and her weird behaviors start to send up red flags amongst the students (who all perform very well in this film). It's up to a small group of them, lead by a loner student who's mom recently died, to uncover the truth about their new teacher. This plays just like The Faculty, only it doesn't suck! Snarf! Anyways, I REALLY enjoyed the film. Do yourself a favor and watch it with the subtitles, because the dubbing is absolutely dreadful! Also, watch for the bizarre High School Musical dance number during the credits. Didn't see that coming! Maybe this is really Denmark's version of a children's film, where everyone lives in a land where they are not offended by a few spouts of the word "fuck"!
Erik H October 15, 2014
great little quirkfest of a film. lots of interesting visuals. great kid actors. great tension. plenty of fun.
Kelly H. Kelly H. ½ July 7, 2012
A little bit strange, but quite enjoyable.
Mark S May 30, 2012
Entertaining movie that also looks fairly good but doesn't have much to say.
Creepis Crip Creepis Crip May 30, 2012
"I will not be charmed by this garbage."
Now write it 100 times on the board!
"These creatures know nothing of love."
(and they hate the audience too)
Pretentious, predictable, a waste of film.
My horror was found in it's simplicity and seriously bad dubbing.
Full of young girls and boys with voices like 30 year old ladies.
This marks the glaring inferiority of "Ghost House" compared to "After Dark".
Laura L May 30, 2012
This movie had so much promise, but laid a big fat alien egg (if you see the movie, you'll get the pun). The lead woman was great at times, with her "pencil tapping" and her kitchen inquisition, but overall there was only about 25 minutes worth watching, and the ending was ... well we just turned it off with 5 minutes left. Yep, it was that painful.
Ricky M May 30, 2012
It's worse than a boring class!
Naughtia Naughtia
Stephanie 1weirdgurl Stephanie 1weirdgurl May 30, 2012
A unique film from Denmark. Several Weird & odd shots--the concept is different but at the same time familar. Lots of moments of cheese and humor. Over all a fun film if you are open minded and are looking for somethng fun and different definately recommended.