The Travelling Players (O thiasos) Reviews

August 26, 2008
Part II of A Trilogy of History by Theo Angelopoulos:

Pure mysticism but requires a lot of patience.What Angelopoulos divides here is time and present history.Flash-forwards to the General's Regime (or should the Civil War be denominated like that?),the uninvited theatrical troupe merging in the seemingly confusing backdrop of Greece,a masterful touch of a timeline mixture,it's as if tragicomedy of chronology occurs where Golfo,the troupe's play is but the interlude in between the film's chapters.
For the love of Artemis,there's even sexual parallelism ala Oresteia tension!!!
½ September 27, 2012
This is a VERY big film. It encompasses the various sentiments, turmoils, and livelihoods of the Greek people for more than a decade of one of the most troubled times of the past century. It shows how some people lived and some people simply got by during fascism, invasion, occupation, and civil war. All this by following a small group of actors. It's an ambitious work and not the easiest to watch, but a brilliant film nonetheless.
½ February 7, 2015
There is simply so much going on under the surface of this film that I am tempted to start it back from the beginning right now. I'm right on the verge of considering it a masterpiece but it's just to gargantuan to intake in one viewing. The story is wonderfully layered, organically shot and acted, and just all around bursting with little character details. This is only my second dive into Angelopoulos, but I'm surely going to jump again soon. My only minor complaint is the length can be felt harshly at times, but once the film ends and it all comes into place, you understand why it had to be this long.
½ November 16, 2010
This is a hugely ambitious piece of work that packs a cumulative wallop when it's all over.