The Canterville Ghost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Canterville Ghost Reviews

September 16, 2009
Centuries ago an English king, embarassed by the cowardice of his son, has that son walled up in his castle. (The son was supposed to fight Tor Johnson of Plan 9 and A&C in the Foreign Legion fame.) Because of a curse placed on him, the son is doomed to haunt the castle for eternity. Flash-forward to WWII-era Britain. A group of US Army Rangers is staying at the castle, which is now owned by the 6 yo decendant of the king. One of the Rangers happens to also be decendent and with 6 yo they learn why the ghost is stuck here. To remedy the situation, a decendant must commit and act of bravery to appease the long-dead king. A decent horror-comedy which is a bit too sappy and the ghost was a real fem.
December 18, 2009
Enjoyed this flick pretty well, Laughton is flawless like usual he is great with delivery. Also Robert Young was solid as well Margaret O'Brien who at 7 years old gave a wonderful performance, one of the better child actors I have seen in that era for sure. The effects were also well done, very understated and simple but worked well.
August 21, 2009
I love this movie. Margaret O'Brien is so adorable in it. She's got to be one the best child actors that there has ever been.
½ March 26, 2005
LAUGHTON'S DELIGHTFUL PERFORMANCE STRONGLY INFLUENCED MY RATING ON THIS FILM. HE LIFTS THIS AVERAGE FILM, EVEN A BIT OF A SAPPY FILM, INTO AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE EXPERIENCE.
August 10, 2014
A fun wartime propaganda film. Laughton was silly and O'Brien was adorable.
June 11, 2014
I know its a classic, but it was more about the little girl then the ghost. Laughton was great in the little time he got on screen.
½ June 7, 2014
The Canterville Ghost is a cute film. It is about cowardly Sir Simon of Canterville flees a duel and seeks solace in the family castle in the 1600s and his descendant saves the family honor. Charles Laughton and Robert Young give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jules Dassin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watched this motion picture because of the fantasy and humor. The Canterville Ghost is a must see.
½ March 21, 2014
Enjoyable enough movie about a ghost who can't go to heaven unless one of his descendents performs a brave deed. Charles Laughton is somewhat slumming it as the ghost while Robert Young is entertaining as the unknowing Canterville cousin. Film takes a REALLY creepy turn at the end.. watch out!
½ February 19, 2014
I haven't seen this one since I was a kid, so it was like seeing it for the first time. Very cute.
September 8, 2012
well acted ghost yarn that mixes comedy and drama in just the right measure
May 18, 2012
An excellent comedy with heart tugging dramatic moments--An absolute for all movie lovers!!
½ April 11, 2012
Very good movie, enjoyed it a lot
April 8, 2012
I remember seeing this cute film as a young boy in the 70's, there was this show called Family Classics Sunday mid mornings on WGN channel 9 in Chicago...
This story takes place in England during WW2, staring the ghost: (Charles Laughton) whom has haunted a castle in which he has resided in for over 300 yrs with one very crucial problem, he is afraid of his own shadow; (Robert young) an officer is a descendent of the ghost and (Margaret O'Brien) too,
the little girl whom then befriends both, and with lil' help from her discover in a round-a-bout fashion that their presumed cowardliness can turn into an act of bravery that saves the day!
½ July 11, 2011
The movie is only so-so and as a book adaption it was worse.
September 16, 2009
½ March 15, 2008
I remember this movie, saw it a long time ago
½ September 21, 2010
My dad insisted I watch this delightful piece of fluff, and I'm glad he did. American soldiers in WWII are camped at an English castle haunted by the ghost of a coward, who must walk the earth until an ancestor commits an act of bravery. Robert Young, blandly pleasant as always, is the soldier who, it turns out, is related to the ghost. Charles Laughton, theatrical and hammy, is the 17th century buffoon of a ghost. Margaret O'Brien is the little girl who is heir to the castle, and she is fabulous. I have a general loathing of precocious child actors, but Miss O'Brien is sweet and charming without tipping over into sickening. I adored her.

I have a feeling this will be a movie that is easy to watch again and again.
½ August 22, 2010
Watched~August 14, 2010
(TCM)
D alone

Very campy, but full of fun movie. Enjoyed every campy moment of this. Margaret O'Brien is a complete doll and steals every scene she is in!!!

LOTS of fun!!!