The Details Reviews

½ September 7, 2013
Strange movie. Strange concept...
December 28, 2012
21/12/2012 (DVD)
July 6, 2013
Putting my dislike for Tobey Maguire aside, "The Details" remains entertaining despite a constant shift between quirky comedy and thoughtful drama. The question burning on my mind was how Jeff Lang (Macguire) could have gone so long prior to this film's events without messing everything up completely, because "The Details" is that film where the lead character falls down a rabbit hole of mistakes. Sexually frustrated and boyish ignorant, Jeff cheats on his wife twice, gets his neighbor's cat killed, and loses a ridiculous amount of money, all to keep his wife from finding out. The only difference, in this film, is that all the characters are equally bad and the eventual conclusion is original in that most "rabbit hole" films don't take the higher road where those affected understand the predicaments at hand. Elizabeth Banks does a decent job remaining likable as the stuffy stay-at-home mom, Macguire does nothing to change my slanted opinion about him, and in very small roles, Kerry Washington and Dennis Haysbert blow me away with their impeccable ability to embody their characters and instantly garner emotions toward them. Haysbert's character is by far the best thing about the film and produces most of the serious emotions brought on throughout the film, which makes his eventual arc that much more sad and disturbing. Had the entire film focused on a level of emotion like this, it would have completely stood apart from any quirky comedies today. Instead, its absurdity brings it to the same base level that come from most swept-under-the-rug comedies.
August 31, 2013
Meh, this was dark and weird and not great. Spiderman let me down. I just wish it would have been his wife in the park instead of the neighbor. Extra half star for a crazy Ray Liotta.
May 29, 2013
I have never watched a more ridiculous story about karma and people getting what they have coming to them.
½ May 9, 2011
Do you like dark comedies? I do and this movie quickly became one of my favorites of the festival.

It would do an injustice to the movie to give too much let's just say it all starts when raccoons continue to uproot newly laid sod at Jeff and Nealy's home. Jeff becomes obsessed with stopping them. His obsession sets the story in motion and with each choice he makes he goes deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole...

I found the movie very funny throughout. Toby Maguire is spot on as Jeff. He has just the right mix of boyish innocence and everyman look about him to put you in Jeff's shoes. Elizabeth Banks, as his wife Nealy, has a some great moments as revelations of what her husband has been up to come out. But the scene stealer in the move is Laura Linney as the "wackadoo" neighbor. From her attire, her facial expressions to her line readings, Linney shows just how deft she is at comedy. Whenever she was on screen I was laughing.

Big thumbs up from me on this fact, I look forward to seeing it again!!
December 23, 2014
Good argument and good performances by Tobey Maguire, however with a no original story and a predictable narrative.
December 23, 2014
½ December 17, 2014
Lo mejor del film; Tobey Maguire, en su mejores interpretaciones, sin duda.
November 2, 2014
Billed as a dark comedy.
Was dark, but extremely uncomfortable, and I don't remember laughing once :(
September 29, 2014
Monday, September 29, 2014

(2012) The Details

Movie centers on a physician by the name of Jeff Lang (Tobey McGuire) attempting to dispose of a raccoon who regularly wrecks his back yard, and starts to make dumb choices normal people would not have done. He buys cages in an attempt to capture it, as well as poisoning it, leaving out the only possible thing to do was to call a professional to capture it. Viewers don't even get to know why the racoon only wrecks Jeff's back yard and no one else's.

2 out of 4 stars
½ July 28, 2014
Go watch this immediately.
½ June 14, 2014
"The Details" lives up to it's plot in that it gives American's their fantasy story about characters who's lives are worse than their own.
April 13, 2014
It may be uneven, too dark for some, too campy for others, but above all that, The Details tells a story that needs to be told. This is one of those special movies that ever so slightly changed the fabric of who I am after viewing. With one of the best endings in cinema in years (I'm gonna go with....since American Beauty), The Details has something very important to say, and actually has the balls to flat out say it.
March 8, 2014
entertaining, pretty over looked.
½ January 20, 2014
I see this movie was quite disliked by most, and i really cannot see why that is. I really enjoyed it.... I though Tobey Maguire gave a very interesting performance that i enjoyed. It was one of those movies that I was interested in, looked online saw people didn't like it so it didn't watch it. But I finally got the courage to watch it and really liked this movie. I don't know if I'd recommend it though.... I mean looking at others consensus, i'm not sure. Maybe just my cynical side, or my dark humor side that likes "The Details", but I did like it
½ November 23, 2013
All the characters are the kinds of people we see everyday that we think we know. Just goes to show you. For a while there, I hoped Dr. Lang (Maguire) would off himself just to put everyone else out of his misery. Finally, the narcissistic coward still blames the raccoon. Good flick.
½ October 19, 2013
I actually thought this film was excellent. Tobey Maguire is great as always, and the rest of the cast is right up there with him. The intelligent use of subtle foreshadowing calls back to Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (one of my favorite films of all time). This movie communicates how little problems can escalate and completely destroy lives, and it does so with flair and a ton of humor while managing to have incredibly dark scenes at the same time.
September 2, 2013
not sure what the movie wants to deliver.......