The Do-Deca-Pentathlon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Do-Deca-Pentathlon Reviews

½ August 16, 2012
A pretty good comedy elevated by a great third act.
c0up
March 13, 2012
'The Do-Deca Pentathlon'. Sibling rivalry taken to hilarious, extreme heights and a solid emotional core to boot.
September 12, 2013
Embracing the nature of sibling rivalry and a desire to return to the familiar, The Duplass Brothers bring a dark comedy that lives and breathes reality with every passing event. Steve Zissis and Mark Kelly play brothers Mark and Jeremy who haven't communicated most of their lives but meet up one weekend when Mark and his wife and son visit their mother for his birthday weekend. With Mark stressed out and on medication, everyone sees Jeremy's presence as a bad thing. However, when he pitches the self-titled, made-up Do-Deca Pentathlon to Mark, which they did as kids with no clear winner, Mark is determined to beat his brother, at any cost necessary, including lying to his family, missing his birthday party, and causing multiple scenes. As much as the stakes are a little melodramatic at times, the comedy is there. With believable performances from Zissis and Kelly, the film stays on track for most of its run. Unclear as to the actual motives of the wife, Stephanie (Jennifer Lafleur) and her instant hatred for the competition, her part in the film feels derivative, a hindrance for the sake of hindrance. "The Do-Deca-Pentathlon" screams the styling of the Duplass Brothers, and continues their recent run with available, dark comedies. Still surprising that Jay and Mark did not star in the film, you have to wonder how much of this is autobiographical between the two.
February 6, 2013
This movie is funny at times, but is probably about 45-minutes too long. It should have been a short film, or it could have been a sit-com episode. There are some laughs and the story is fun and interesting, but why try and make this into a 75-minute film.
½ May 28, 2013
Do-Deca-Pentathalon is a fun and realistic depiction of brotherly competitiveness. The film's originality, lightness, and emotion makes up for the fact that the characters get dug into, but never deep enough to fully understand them.
January 21, 2013
Typically low-key character study by the Duplass Brothers that successfully explores the role of jealousy within sibling relationships. Now if they would only find a real cinematographer and get rid of the cutesy The Office stylistics they seem so fond of... Also the acting us mediocre at best.
September 21, 2012
A frustrating, cloy sibling rivarly comedy with 2 brothers reviving a silly competition of wills to find out "who's #1". From Jay & Mark Duplass I was hoping for something better than the obvious "winner in life" outcome that felt soft. The events are general sporting, the actors just okay but very little wit or genuine emotion in this one (odd from the folks who did "Baghead", "Cyrus" or "Jeff, Who Lives At Home" - here, the minimialist approach sinks the production into a long 76 minute ordeal
September 14, 2012
It is the mundane, every day, ordinariness of the Duplass Brothers's (Jay and Mark) films that make them the respected indie-film directors that they are today. Their films -- Cyrus, The Puffy Chair, Baghead and Jeff, Who Lives at Home -- are all solidly grounded pieces of work in a slightly warped reality. This is the Duplass selling point ... one I have allowed myself to enjoy with each of their films (to varying degrees). It is only "slightly-warped" because 85% of their film is realistic and the film-making duo takes one element of normalcy and amplifies beyond belief ... here they do so with two ultra-competitive brothers. While many siblings compete with one another -- the mere title of this film -- implies that that these two take it over the top with a competition of 25 events to one-up the other. We don't get to see all of there here; but the brothers compete ... much to the chagrin of the wife of one of them (the other is un-married -- SUPRISE!) who has set up a weekend birthday party for her husband whom her brother-in-law infiltrates and causes the steady-hubby to go rogue. There are laughs and smiles to be had here -- like all of the Duplass films -- but there are also uncomfortable moments of real-ness which make the films work on a base-line of reality. I appreciate what these guys do. They celebrate the mundane of our everyday lives but also give it a slight twist to make something a bit more interesting. The filmm is quite short (under an hour and a half) and I wish it had carried out a bit further ... I won't get into the why here. This isn't a movie that will win numerous awards; but it is a pleasant way to pass some time.
½ November 15, 2014
Sibling rivalry flick that strikes me on a personal level, and succeeds in getting laughs & holding your attention. Mad props to the Duplass duo to include laser tag as one of the fierce competitions (hell yes).
June 22, 2014
Nothing in this very long 76 minute mess grabbed me or rang true. The style just annoyed me. It was in the camera style of The Office or Parks & Rec with quick zoom ins and outs, but it had none of the good acting, writing or humor of those great series. I should've quit this movie halfway through when I realized I just didn't like it at all. Very disappointing from Mark Duplass. I get the kernel of the idea here, but it just didn't work on screen and especially with these actors.
January 7, 2014
Funny. Sweet. Slice of life.
½ December 29, 2013
Another odd yet effective film from the Duplass brothers. This one feels like it was drawn from personal experiences, which helps in its realistic feel. Quiet moments emphasize the bubbling tension between brothers, capped with outbursts of frustration. The Duplass's prove yet again their true skill at writing.
October 5, 2012
An OK indie-comedy, but it's basically just two brothers dealing with their unwarranted immaturity. Could've done with better actors, but it tries and somewhat succeeds. No huge laughs, but an OK soundtrack and a quick run time help it not be boring.
½ November 25, 2013
The wisest choice of all is to cast talented unknown actors, who make these characters and the absurd goings-on feel that much more real--and hence all the more funny. I say SEE IT!!!
September 12, 2013