• R, 1 hr. 27 min.

The Family Tree Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 5, 2011
Cast: Dermot Mulroney, Hope Davis, Chi McBride, Max Thieriot, Brittany Robertson, Selma Blair, Keith Carradine, Bow Wow, Madeline Zima, Christina Hendricks, Jane Seymour

Director: Vivi Friedman

Summary: Finnish director Vivi Friedman makes her feature-film debut with this dark comedy about wife and mother Bunnie Burnett, who loses her memory and conveniently forgets all of her problems -- including her interracial affair with a neighbor.

My Thoughts: "This movie is pure chaotic fun. It's silly, insane, and funny. You can not take this film seriously. I mean the preacher is a gun-slinging pothead. The film in throwing up dysfunctional all over the place. So of course I loved it. The characters are a lot of fun. Definitely worth taking a look at if you like dark, dysfuctional, and quirky films."

December 31, 2011
This film reminded me on my high-school days when we were looking for crazy and shallow movies with lots of funny situations in impossible surrounding... and they will still remind us on someone while raising a middle finger to all the "traditional values" which everyone is preaching...

The dysfunctional Burnett family - Bunnie, Jack and their twin 17 year olds Eric and Kelly - were perfect set up for that type of movies... especially when a freak accident leaves Bunnie with a case of amnesia! There are all kinds of twists in this comedy in which Burnetts get an unexpected second chance at happiness. We have a slew of past relationships, kids with guns, a suicidal lesbian teacher, a very zealous gun loving preacher, misinterpreted advances, corporate down-sizing, and one fateful squirrel... they together create enough mayhem to test the resolve, sanity and future of any family, and make you laugh - at least a little bit!
Cast includes Hope Davis (Bunnie Burnett), Dermot Mulroney (Jack Burnett), Max Thieriot (Eric Burnett), Britt Robertson (Kelly Burnett), Chi McBride (Simon Krebs), Evan Ross (Josh Krebs), Keith Carradine (Reverend Diggs), Madeline Zima (Mitzy Steinbacher) but most of the time they could not show what are they capable of under the director Vivi Friedman's leadership.
December 3, 2012
The Family Tree is a movie that is such a formulaic crapfest it doesn't even deserve for me to take time out of my schedule to write-up this review of it as I already WASTED an hour and a half of my time trying to appreciate some aspect of it (Christina Hendricks is in it for all of 3 minutes in the first twelve and gone for the remainder). I couldn't find anything else here ... and I rarely say I "wasted" my time when talking about movies (I willingly watched the sequel to Garfield to review it for friends and family); but this IS time wasted. The movie takes so many swipes and swings at many hot-button topics (religion, sexuality, adultery and marriage) that it is all muddled and ridiculous. So much is thrown at this family of wretched individuals that the audience cannot even keep all of the stupid storylines straight -- none of it is reasonable or plausible. This might be one for those who want to "go back" to a nostalgic past of glory ... and this movie is everything that is wrong with that mindset.
Hamee
February 18, 2012
This was a very sappy movie that never seemed to go anywhere. In the end the previously dysfunctional family is happy together, but nothing profound happens that makes any sense.
November 23, 2012
Humorous and character rich. Enjoy!
October 20, 2012
The Family Tree is a good example of why I don't believe in allowing critics to decide which movies I decide which movies I will watch. If I judged on the basis of the reviews I read here, I wouldn't have viewed this one, and on a dark comedy level, I found it very amusing--far more so than the acclaimed Tree of Life, which took the same subject seriously. While the latter film had beautiful cinematography and some lovely lyric moments, it was also confusing and often boringly slow paced, whereas the former movie was entertaining throughout. And after all, aren't films supposed to be a form of entertainment?
May 16, 2012
Jeez... how many of these suburban underbelly films are we going to have to watch? This one feels particularly paint-by-numbers -- start with middle-class angst, add some religious hypocrisy and racial tension, sprinkle in a bit of dirty, dirty sex, guns, and illicit drugs, and top it off with teenage kids coming of age in a haze of irony and snark. And for what?! Even despite the high production value and relatively good acting, there is absolutely no point to this film whatsoever.
April 6, 2012
Just not a good film.

December 31, 2011

November 27, 2011
Putea mult mai mult, prea imprastiat