The First Time (2012)
Average Rating: 5.6/10
Reviews Counted: 17
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 9
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 5.1/10
Critic Reviews: 9
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 6
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 4,113
Dave, a high school senior, spends most of his time pining away over a girl he can't have. Aubrey, a junior with artistic aspirations, has a hot boyfriend who doesn't quite understand her or seem to care. Although they go to different schools, Dave and Aubrey find themselves at the same party. When both head outside to get some air, they meet. A casual conversation sparks an instant connection, and, over the course of a weekend, things turn magical, romantic, complicated, and funny as Aubrey and
Oct 19, 2012 Limited
Mar 12, 2013
Samuel Goldwyn Films - Official Site
Maggie Elizabeth Jon...
Latest News on The First Time
October 19, 2012:Critics Consensus: Paranormal Activity 4 Offers Up Stale Scares
This week at the movies, we've got ghostly video recordings (Paranormal Activity 4, starring Katie...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
There is much to like here, a sense of nuance and nonjudgmental emotional openness, yet Kasdan's teenage miniaturism never quite blooms.
[An] inoffensive but bland ode to the talky high school movies of John Hughes and Cameron Crowe.
No gratuitous raunchiness here and only a few tired caricatures in a genre usually jammed with them.
Something of a wonder, a palm-size ball of banter and irony and earnestness that never stops rolling and almost never misses the sweet spots.
Writer-director Jonathan Kasdan can't even bother to satisfy the buildup with a real moment of consummation (welcome to the fade to black) or believable postcoital complications.
I'm going to give it a seven because of the two stars. They're so darned likable that they make the film's shortcomings seem unimportant.
For a film that's treading the same territory as American Pie, The First Time lends a bit of dignity to the first time.
when it comes to insight into being a teen in this day an age, or any of the other traits that set the best high school movies apart, The First Time comes up empty.
This comedy about two teens losing their virginity aims for hilarity but instead achieves ho-hum status.
An exploration of the high expectations, fears, and fantasies surrounding the act of losing your virginity.
A maturity and emotional intelligence not usually associated with the genre. Don't let it get lost among the louder, shinier releases of the movie weekend.
Audience Reviews for The First Time
- Dave Hodgman: I wish I could go back to the beginning.
- Aubrey Miller: Why are you smiling?
- Dave Hodgman: You dig me.
- Aubrey Miller: And as far as what you said before about wanting to keep talking, I'm obviously totally into that. But I would also like to work on the sex thing.
- Dave Hodgman: Definitely, we can definitely work on the sex thing
- Aubrey Miller: Which one am I? The virgin or the skank?
- Dave Hodgman: I've never met anybody like you before.
- Aubrey Miller: That's a pretty good answer.
- Aubrey Miller: The virgin and the skank, a tale as old as time.
- Dave Hodgman: It's true, I mean the sound quality is really way better than download.
- Aubrey Miller: Not really
- Dave Hodgman: Oh, then why?
- Aubrey Miller: I don't know, I just like the idea of it. A record collection. Most of them are my dads.
Discuss The First Time on our Movie forum!