The Funhouse (1981)
Average Rating: 5.9/10
Reviews Counted: 13
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Mar 13, 1981 Wide
Average Rating: 3/5
User Ratings: 7,087
This low-budget horror film about teenagers trapped in a carnival funhouse with a freakish monster is pretty standard stuff. Director Tobe Hooper manages a few shocks and includes some typically peculiar supporting characters, but this film is less entertaining than either of his previous excursions into such territory. Not as scary as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) nor as bizarre as Eaten Alive (1976), The Funhouse may as well have been directed by an anonymous hack as one of the foremost
Mar 13, 1981 Wide
Oct 19, 1999
Warner Home Video
Watch It Now
Marco The Magnificen...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
With its two-headed cow, mutant baby in a jar, jokes about bestiality, references to 'Bride of Frankenstein' and misbegotten monster, this is very much a horror movie that contemplates, with awe and terror, the sometimes terrible consequences of sex.
Lento e aborrecido, consegue criar tensão em um ou outro momento, mas só.
Creepy but slow horror show. Neat monster.
It's creepy and effective and a kind of fun horror picture we don't see anymore.
Audience Reviews for The Funhouse
- Harper: I don't know where you're going tonight, but don't go to that damn carnival. It went through Fairfield last year, when they found the bodies of those two girls in the creek.
- The Barker: They wiggle and they dance. Six beautiful girls. They wiggle and they dance. (Looks straight at Amy very eerily) They wiggle and they dance.
- Madame Zena: Don't come back. Or I'll break every bone in your F**KIN' BODIES! Beat it!
- Marco The Magnificent: A little history. In the fifth century, Vlad V of Wallachia, known as Vlad the lmpaler to his friends, tortured 23,000 prisoners in a device not unlike this. Tiring of his name, he decided to change it. He selected his father's name, Dracul, meaning devil. He added the letter A and became. Dracula; literally, 'son of the devil'. And so legends are born.
- Carnival Manager: Alive, alive, a-live-ah. These are all creatures of God, ladies and gentlemen. Not men. They are authentic, and they are alive. Alive, alive, alive-ah.
- Bag Lady: God is watching you!
- Amy: Beg your pardon?
- Bag Lady: He hears everything! (Walks in the bathroom stall)
- Liz: I hate people who preach. Especially in bathrooms. Anyway, I don't know what you're saving it for.
- Amy: Who says I'm saving it?
- Bag Lady: (in the bathroom stall) God is watching you!
Discuss The Funhouse on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Das Kabinett des Schreckens (DE)
- The Funhouse (UK)