• PG-13, 1 hr. 34 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Giant Mechanical Man Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

August 2, 2013
It's not perfect, but it is a charmingly, quirky film. Though bizarre at times, it is occasionally funny, well-filmed, and has an interesting premise. What makes up for the film's cliched or odd moments is Jenna Fischer's great performance. Ms. Fischer makes an engaging and likable protagonist which begs the question what is next for her career in film. She delivers the awkward lines flawlessly and charms the viewer from beginning to end.
Cynthia S

April 2, 2013
This is a sweet Indie style romantic comedy. It is a little slow moving, but never dull. Chris Messina, and Jenna Fischer, are both completely adorable. A real feel good, makes you smile a lot, kind of movie...
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 30, 2013
"I am sure this was suppose to be some meaningful and inspirational movie about finding the one who supports all your dreams and makes you feel all whole inside. But it only annoyed me and bored me to death. I am all for quirky films with out of the box characters and unique stories. But I just could not give even just a half of a fuck for this one. Which sucks because I am usually the biggest supporter of small indie flicks like this, but it just wasn't working for me. Plus Topher plays the BIGGEST douche bag I have yet to come across in a movie this year. Jenna Fischer's character was pathetic and a pushover which made her unlikable. Malin's character was annoying as hell. Just wanted to put a fist through her skull. Chris Messina was the only character I liked. Which isn't saying much since most of the movie he is dressed as some oversized robot who doesn't speak. Hmm. Well I guess what I am trying to say is, I didn't like the movie. I thought I would just put that out there in case it wasn't obvious."
Christopher H

April 29, 2012
"The Giant Mechanical Man" is a quaint little love story with a subtle performance from Jenna Fischer, who proves she should definitely be in more films, while Chris Messina steals the show, as he often does, harnessing a way with words unmatched by most actors today. Often just scratching the surface of an actual deeply romantic film, had the writing been more developed and dug passed its casual conversations and repetitive, everyday life dialogue, "The Giant Mechanical Man" could have been so much more.
December 9, 2013
There isn't much to like about Mechanical Man. There isn't a lot not too like about it either. It's simply rather boring and lacks subsistence.
November 15, 2013
"The Giant Mechanical Man" is completely charming. This slice of real life feels completely natural through its simple language, unique settings, and wonderful acting. It is the definition of an indie film, using its small cast to bring this heart-felt story to life. The highlight of the film is Jenna Fischer, who harnesses the character traits of Pam from "The Office" and uses them to create this amiable-but-timid character who can't find her way. Chris Messina surpasses his average performance in films like "Argo" and "Devil." His character is interesting because he is devoted to something larger than himself and does so with a craft that has rarely been explored on screen, but more importantly, Messina really nails embodies this message through his emotion and non-emotion. The effectiveness of Fischer and Messina comes from their relatability to just about every audience member, presenting a nice message about finding your place in the world. Topher Grace is pretty annoying (as his character needs to be for the story to be effective), but it sometimes made me too aware that I was watching an indie film. The script is great, guaranteeing a few laughs (like the guy poking the monkey) and a few tears (like the meet-cute at the end). I also appreciate the amount of language that was left out. It was nice to be reminded of how effective plain, simple language can be. "The Giant Mechanical Man" easily earns an A and a spot on my list of "must-see underappreciated indie films."
November 1, 2013
Despite being a little slow, and Malin Akerman's character having you pondering the merits of taking a life, this was pretty damn good. The Doug character may well have you pondering the merits of taking another life, thus turning you into a serial killer, but I gotta give 'em credit, they did a good job of putting every self-important motivational speaker/author on Earth into a big pot, stirring it up and giving us Doug, Douche Extraordinaire. This is not an exciting film, but it's an entertaining film nonetheless. When good triumphs over douchebaggery, it's always a win. Finally, I've never singled out a critic before, and I know the idiotic twit will never see this, but I must say, Jeannette Catsoulis is an imbecile.
August 16, 2013
Slight spin on boy-meets-girl story, exquisitely played by Messina and Fischer (from The Office). Nothing you really haven't seen before but still enjoyable.
trappleton
July 10, 2013
This is one of my favorite films of the year. Messina and Fischer have a tangible chemistry, and while it's easy to look down your nose at the hipster vibe you might get from this movie, in a similar vein as Garden State or 500 Days of Summer, I feel like that's doing a disgrace to the script.

It's rewarding to watch Messina in this role, playing a guy who's easy to root for, especially if you're only familiar with his performance as Dr. Castellano on The Mindy Project. (He's great on that show -- it's just a rather different character.) He's got wonderful range, and I hope to see him pop up in more films.

Cinematographer Doug Emmett did an especially wonderful job here. Subtly keeping the palette in the range of cool blues and greys has great resonance with Tim's makeup, and really contributes to the film's atmosphere -- cold and biting, but a ray of sunshine here and there.

The plot itself isn't particularly novel -- although it is well written -- but what really keeps this engine running are the performances of the two leads.
Hamee
March 17, 2013
This story was a little slow to get started, but once it got going watching the two lead characters bumble through and around each other was endearing. I really loved that they worked together at the zoo.
February 4, 2013
meh. i was excited when i saw that jenna fischer was in this. i haven't seen her in anything but the office, however, i think her awkwardness is as endearing and "natural" as it is going to be in "the office." not so much in this. found myself rolling my eyes more than once. the acting could have been better. the screenplay could have been better.
May 8, 2012
Could have been great, but kind of dropped the ball. Thankfully, the main romance between the two is the best part and is actually cute and succeeds, however the friggin' "indie-ness" of the movie gets in the way of the rest of the movie. No other characters react realistically to a situation so it's just stupidly ridiculous most of the time. Topher Grace was kind of entertaining, but grew old quick. Also the beginning is slow and not entertaining and the end isn't satisfying. Also with the short duration the forced conflict was pretty annoying and unnecessary. As I said could have been great with the good lead characters, but everything else ruined it for them. Also the movie isn't very funny though it really tries to be.

PROS: The two leads, cute relationship
CONS: Unrealistic annoying characters, not very funny, bad beginning and end
August 24, 2014
cute script. nice direction. lovely acting. excellent robot dancing skills. loses one star for lack of chris messina nudity.
August 4, 2014
I can say that this movie is one of the most re-watchable movie I've seen.
July 19, 2014
While the two leads do a good job with the material and making chemistry from their roles, the surrounding characters drag the affair down to tropey awkward material. By the end, it follows the pattern you expect and becomes just ok.
June 30, 2014
Ok I remember why I love indie films now, for awhile I just fell out of watching them, but this movie reminded me of how good they really are. I love a movie that is just well written, without any flare or attention grabbing bologna, just a well written story that you can relate to. That's this movie...
March 29, 2012
This is such an adorable indie gem!! Everything about it is great and Topher Grace is hysterical! hahaha Such a great indie!!
Mike N.
June 6, 2014
it was ok and i liked some scenes a lot,but overall i was disappointed.
June 1, 2014
Charming and uneventfully beautiful, this melancholy rom-com is a welcome change of pace.
June 8, 2013
Love appears where you least expect