The Island President Reviews

Harlequin68
April 1, 2012
In the simultaneously inspiring and harrowing documentary "The Island President," Mohamed Nasheed was elected to the presidency of the Maldives, a 2000 island archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean, bringing an end to a thirty-year repressive dictatorship in 2008. But a new struggle presents itself in global warming. Currently, the effects there can be seen in erosion and the groundwater. All of which could lead to a unique culture and nation being literally wiped from the map, and its country's population turned into 'environmental refugees.' So, instead of spending valuable resources on health care and education, he has to go with sea walls and other protective measures.

So, through this example, we get a disturbing look at what all of our futures may be like if we do not change our ways very soon.(With the use of some great shots, the Maldvies do seem like something out of speculative fiction.) If our behavior affects all others across the globe, then why can't the butterfly flap its wings in the opposite direction, which is where Nasheed comes in, not only in speaking across the world(I'm not recommending invoking World War II usually in speehces, but if you have to, mention Czechoslovakia), but also in proposing to make his country entirely carbon neutral in 10 years by relying on renewable energy sources like solar and wind, making the Maldives an example for the rest of the world. This is harder than it sounds with the economic interests of countries like China and India making things especially difficult with a memorable climax at the climate conference at Copenhagen in 2009. But sadly, Nasheed did not have that much time as he was ousted in a threatened coup in February of this year.
½ March 14, 2013
Former President Nasheed of the Maldives reminds me of Al Gore with his desperate plea to have carbon emissions reduced simultaneously...not just by small countries, but also by the biggest emitters including USA, China, and India. The difference between Nasheed and Gore is that Nasheed needs the carbon reduction due to the threat posed by global warming towards his low-lying island country of Maldives.

He succeeded in getting all the big countries to sign a worldwide agreement, despite the fact that little could be seen in those countries' actions. This achievement alone makes President Nasheed deserve a standing ovation for what he has done, not just his country, but also for our planet.
November 25, 2012
As (former) president of the world's lowest lying country -- the beautiful island paradise of The Maldives (Google this place!) -- Mohamed Nasheed made it part of his presidential and civil duty to educate the world's population about the importance of world climate change. His nation is at risk of disappearing off of the face of the globe if the world doesn't wisen up ... and making it a political issue places human life at risk. I had wished the film was a bit more focused on climate change as much of it appears to be a PR piece for Nasheed (who made enemies). If you don't want to believe in climate change, check out the natural beauty of the Maldives and realize that they could be gone one day. Fact ... the oceans are rising and these islands are disappearing.
½ June 11, 2012
This movie was a dissappointment. To much politics, too little science. Way too much Copenhagen. Also too long. Skip it.
½ May 26, 2015
We blame China for being the biggest contributeur of CO2, but why are they where they are today to begin with?

There are some people whose lives are at stake because of our need of endless consumption.
November 11, 2013
Definitely worth seeing. It's ashamed no one listened to him before and he's exiled now.
May 15, 2013
The Island President is an inspirational journey about how the president of Maldives tried to convince the world to reduce carbon emissions in the 2012 Copenhagen Environmental summit. His alternative was to see his island nation be submerged by the effects of global warming. While the Maldives are far away in the Indian Ocean, sea levels rising affects major cities all over the world. It's a story of climate change, international politics, and fighting despite the odds.
½ May 12, 2013
Never really cared about Global warming until I saw this Docu.
February 22, 2012
This was alright. I really liked the guy and I would like to see what made him so unlikeable in the past year or so. Why do people call him a liar? But based on this film, the man is incredibly passionate and the film is educational. It's not terribly entertaining - which is why I took a couple stars off, because I do like documentaries entertaining or else I don't really have the patience for them - but the film and its captivating and charming protagonist keeps you hooked and makes you root for him. I hope he returns as the President of the Maldives one day. I like how he addressed climate change issues so immediately after his appointment.
January 25, 2013
The Island President documentary film produced by Actual Films, based in San Francisco, and directed by Jon Shenk. The film won Cadillac People's Choice Documentary Award at Toronto International Film Festival.

The documentary follows the former President Mohamed Nasheed of Republic of the Maldives, as he faces the country that has just come out of the grip from despot dictator Abdul Gayoom under fair elections which brought Nasheed as new president, Nasheed struggles to persuade global powers at upcoming Copenhagen Summit on global warming to reduce carbon emission, lest his country would sink down in coming years.

Good documentary, that begins with fresh glimpses of the aesthetic scenery of islands of Maldives and its tantalizing waters. Somewhat fair deal of documentary that is only gala when it's got to be.
December 14, 2012
Somewhat interesting history but got pretty boring, even if you are quite into preventing climate change.
January 14, 2013
It starts of interesting, but soon crashes down into a pile of political crap. Not at all as intriguing as it was made out to be. There are no surprises in this film, and if anything in it really surprises it is the optimism of the people that made the film about the contribution they are making to the world of cinematic entertainment.
This movie is a total downer, and I say that with the utmost enthusiasm for indi style films. It Left me wanting for substance.
½ January 1, 2013
Wanted to see it, but could not watch more than 10 minutes for some reason.
December 29, 2012
With the Island President, both US and India finally had to bring down President Nasheed and therefore the Feb Coup in the Maldives.
December 27, 2012
Best Documentary film I've watched so far...
December 11, 2012
Wanted to watch the movie so bad...
December 9, 2012
"Ring-side seat" at a fascinating David-vs.-Goliath(s) political battle. Could spend more time detailing who is pulling which strings and why. Could do more to explain "what happens now?" for the Maldives.
½ December 1, 2012
As a documentary it points out some pretty good points. As a movie to watch it was pretty difficult. Thanks for telling me things I didn't already know. Oh wait, I did know them!
November 12, 2012
A totally different view of a failed dictator in disguise.
November 3, 2012
Excellent documentary. Had the privilege of seeing this in Australia and after the viewing, President Mohamed Nasheed spoke live to the audience via satellite.
Very moving and addressed a lot of issues including the amazing efforts of the President and his party and corruption in the Maldives.