The Last Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Godfather Reviews

December 26, 2011
Finally saw this movie. Well worth the wait. I loved this flick. It's a shame I didn't get to see this on the big screen. Lot of laughs and even a few surprises. Jason Mewes proves that he can actually be more than just Silent Bob's loudmouth sidekick. He actually plays a good villain. Definitely an Oscar contender for Best Picture. A++
August 21, 2011
A great cast plus a horrible script unfortunately equals a bad film. Obviously a spoof on Wiseguy movies this Shim driven vehicle fails to deliver. Shim is a funny physical comic reminiscent of the Three Stooges but this was not the film to do that routine. Keitel was not believable as Shim's father not because he is Caucasian but due to the fact he is not much older than Shim. A bad wig and gangster suit couldn't keep Jason Mewes inner Jay from constantly appearing minus Silent Bob as the rival family lieutenant. Skip this one.
½ June 25, 2011
"A mafia boss trains his mentally impaired son as his successor." I must confess that I have read few film synopses (Look it up and be proud, Grammar Police!) guilty of such derision. I must than admit that even fewER films one-up themselves in the Shame Quotient as the South Korean/American co-production, The Last Godfather, has done just that to itself by naming the "impaired son"--> YOUNG-GOO. This must be the South Korean progression of our dreadfully-Americanized "Fockers" (Meet the Parents etc.) which -- itself -- couldn't help but play/flail around with "the godFocker" term a few times on its very own (in its third "film" in the franchise). Being that both films star Harvey Keitel (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Cop Land, Thelma & Louise) -- !!! TRIPLE EXCLAMATION POINTS IN-ALL-CAPS !!! -- say so much about what we have found oursleves watching. The once highly-respected and lauded Keitel was an elusive "get" (otherwise explain The Piano [shall I dare this upon anyone ... anyone?], Bad Lieutenant, Get Shorty or Bugsy) who's appreciation for craft and the art of movie-making has been hijacked by a lesser-actor going through the motions for a paycheck. I wouldn't bemoan the "loss" of a single actor to this greedy-phenomenon if it didn't actually lessen the entire medium and produce shoddy product. Keitel is just one of the latest in the stream of Hollywood-ized (as I'm sure it is global) sell-outs and the only reason he is getting my time-of-day (at present) is because there is nothing else of interest to mention in this bizarrely juvenile and despicable The Tardfather. Yes -- cringe -- we could cry foul ... but isn't that the word they were REALLY aiming for all along?.
½ July 30, 2014
Terrible, not funny at all, sad too cuz the cast was great!!
April 4, 2014
laughed lots. it's on netflix. watch it.
September 10, 2013
Now I love a good parody, and was hoping for the best with a "Fish Out Of Water" type of scenario here. I was wrong. How Harvey Keitel got involved with this piece of junk, I'll never know. This seems even beneath Jason Mewes to do. Is Hyung-Rae Shim trying to do with his character Yunggu, what Rowan Atkinson is doing with Mr. Bean? If so, it is awful. Well, one more for the worst movies ever made list.
June 3, 2013
We tend to view all movies through "American" eyes. If you look at it's sense of Korean humor it's slapstick! I loved the 50's cars & costume. It show's us humor about the mob through another perspective.
December 6, 2012
one very funny movie
August 26, 2012
It's very funny, I couldn't breathe because it was so funny
August 13, 2012
Pretty goofy but definitely a good movie to watch with your kids.
½ July 17, 2012
You'll get a lot of laughs out of this.
May 11, 2011
Funny 1950's mobster theme -- I laughted out loud during the entire movie - very entertaining, great character actors. and I loved "Mary" the shop keeper -- what a looker!
May 30, 2012
Greatest movie EVER!!!!
½ April 15, 2012
Simply entertaining. Nothing to expect but for a comedy, it could have been done better.
December 26, 2011
½ November 17, 2011
Hyung-rae Shim co-wrote, directed and starred in this movie which ranks as one of the worst films I have seen this year. To label this movie as a comedy is funnier than anything this bore fest has to offer.
November 9, 2011
An alright comedy, with a lot of physical comedy that is prevelant through asian cinema comedy. It was good to see Jason Mewes in a good role and starring with Harvey Keitel.
August 28, 2011
The Name makes you think your in for an interesting mob type story but instead your stuck watching a horrible comedy that has no redeemable qualities(not even Harvey Kartel could save this film) and in the end your stuck PAINFULLY watching the film either hoping it would be good or unfortunately conned into watching it due to the title.
September 11, 2011
Ah it had some humor in it wasn't to bad of a movie a funny mafia movie for ya got a few laughs from it
March 30, 2011