The Last Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Lions Reviews

February 3, 2012
Interesting documentary which focuses on a lioness named Ma di Tau ("Mother of Lions") as she battles to protect her cubs against the daunting onslaught of enemies to ensure their survival. The film is narrated by (not very inspiring) Jeremy Irons and the underlying message of the film is on the low population of large cats in the world and whether or not Ma di Tau and her cubs are among the last lions... of course if you put $10 out of your pocket somehow you can save them...

My problem with this documentary is that not everything seemed real... yes, I know that the nature could be amazing but some of the events depicted in this story just did not match or made sense, and when you see that final result is very impressive and exiting dramatic effect - you start wondering what else in the story was "touched up".
January 19, 2012
A national geographic documentary follows a lioness into her desperate journey for survival for her and her 3 cubs. Magnificently told/directed by award winning film maker Dereck and Beverly Joubert and magistically narrated by Oscar winner, Jeremy Irons.

Its a must see for a number of reasons, how the law of jungle works and most importantly how human beings are destroying the ecology of these incredible animals.
½ February 18, 2014
How fitting for Jeremy Irons (Scar from Lion King) to narrate majestically a magnificent, violent and tear jerking story of Ma di Tau "Mother of all lions"
½ December 10, 2013
I am amazed by the mother!
April 29, 2013
I was fully engaged in the film until I noticed that a good portion of it is not raw, untampered footage as shot in the wild. For example, the lioness fight where Silver Eye lost her eye, was computer graphics. This particular fight scene, I've seen in other documentaries, like on Animal Planet. I'm not criticizing this too negatively because it's hard to get an animal to do as a script says unlike human actors so it makes sense that they'd have to alter it somehow in order to get it to make it presentable by making it conform to a format with a particular emotional progression form that's formulaic of this genre. Eitherway, the movie is good and well worth watching and the message is definitely one of many that humanity needs to set aside their own greed and act on in order to ensure that we can still inhabit this planet for at least a good portion of the 500 million years left before this planet's expiration date.
December 11, 2012
Seems a little too raw and brutal for kids, but it is an amazing story of love, loss, and perseverance. We (humans) could learn from her strength and determination. She could have let the lions kill her babies and submit to the pride from the get go, but she took the hard road, and was better for it.
February 21, 2011
This is a great movie and quite insightful about whether these beautiful animals will survive the encroachment of humans or not.
October 27, 2012
Super nice Filming..
September 18, 2012
It was an amazing tale of triumph and how brutal nature can be. It was extremely emotionally heartfelt for me.
July 22, 2012
Most interesting film I have ever seen.
June 5, 2012
A touching story, this lioness' persistence and strategy of survival is inspiring and hopeful.
May 31, 2012
Splendid, absolutely splendid.
½ May 27, 2012
Such a great, emotional movie about the lioness and her pride. Highly recommended!
May 26, 2012
One of the most riveting films I've ever seen. It has everything you could ever want in a film - revenge, treachery, drama, intrigue. Perfect
April 30, 2012
Best movie i have ever seen. I dont think there will be any other movie of this sought made in my life time.
April 13, 2012
An often heart wrenching nature program full of intense moments of lions struggle to survive a strong appeal for people to take the declining population of lions seriously
April 11, 2012
it's a good story but it was a bit long. Sitting and watching about a lion for over an hour is too much. There were times that was really slow and boring, like watching the lion walking around. The only interesting scenes were the hunting and fighting. Basically the whole mission was to hunt a buffalo. The beginning was interesting, the middle not so much. The ending was nice showing how she reunited with her cub but I find it weird how she becomes friends with her enemy at the end. I give credit to the camera crew who film this. I can imagine the great difficulties and dangers following the most fearsome predators.
½ March 30, 2012
A heartbreaking and heart warming tale of mother's love and survival in the wilderness, the Last Lions is visually spectacular and delivers a timely message.