• PG, 1 hr. 34 min.

The Last Mountain Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

July 14, 2011
Documentary on the environmental effects of mountaintop removal coal mining in Coal Mountain, West Virgina. The mountaintop removal process has little to recommend it, but unfortunately so does this suprisingly dull and disorganized polemic.

June 12, 2011
"The Last Mountain" is an insightful and well-photographed documentary, especially in its opening shot of a pristine wilderness followed closely by a smokestack. The subject here is coal mining with a focus on Coal River Mountain in West Virginia which is being targeted for mountain top mining which is the quickest and most cost efficient way to get at the coal. But there is a hidden cost because it destroys the mountain and endangers the health of those living below through flooding and carcinogens. This is not a purely local issue either as the power from the coal mined there supplies a good deal of the eastern United States.

"The Last Mountain" fares best when it focuses on people living near the affected mountains along with local activists fighting the coal company's destructive efforts. I know Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has his role to play in the access and attention he gets but this is never really his story. Whereas like any good activist, I appreciate acts of civil disobedience, it would probably be best for a grass roots effort to educate the local workers about coal's ill effects and remind them that they are not out to cost them their jobs while also looking to unionize them. Also, they can support candidates who will challenge the coal companies. And I like the emphasis on renewable energy like wind farms which demonstrate some hope for the future.
July 23, 2012
...nearly 16 pounds of coal are burned each day for every man, woman, and child in the US...
April 4, 2012
An extremely important film. Though slow at times, it offers many different opinions and a lot of striking imagery.
November 19, 2011
Very strong arguments. Quintessential example of "democracy" in a capitalist society.
November 6, 2011
Yet another example of corporations raping the environment and buying the best conditions to continue to do so in the future. Keep voting for corporate lapdogs people, and this is what you have to look forward to for your children and grandchildren... "Tumors for everyone! Just don't take away anyone's job!"
eleath29
July 9, 2011
I hope Governor Brasheat sees this American Tradjedy and changes his stance on coal.

June 12, 2011

May 25, 2011
supposed to see this tonight then dine with filmmakers. Looks great. I helped rebuild houses in Appalachia over a few summers in my youth. You're waiting for a joke aren't you? Sorry. True story.