The Lost Bladesman (Guan yun chang) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Bladesman (Guan yun chang) Reviews

deano
½ April 26, 2011
Hong Kong duo Felix Chong and Alan Mak take on the martial arts epic for the first time, adapting the story of Guan's (Donnie Yen) killing of six generals from historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Current martial arts heavyweight Yen weilds Guan's famed guan dao blade to slay legions also admirably flexing his best stoic acting muscles.
Despite its aspirations (and predictably impressive fights), The Lost Bladesman never reaches the heights of Red Cliff or Hero, lacking the scale of the former and the emotional resonance of the latter.
skactopus
½ May 22, 2011
The Lost Bladesman, from directors Felix Chong and Alan Mak, showcases everything it needs to, to be a worthwhile picture.Aside from an introductory soldier battle, the early going of this hour 40 minute production puts a lot of focus on laying out character relationships and story. In the grand scheme of things, this is needed; however, because there is a lot to unfold, things get a little smothering and also tiresome.The martial arts' sequences don't kick into high gear until deeper into the film. Backed by some strong choreography and a variety of settings, watching Donnie Yen wield a long-handled blade is a delight.Donnie Yen's portrayal of Guan Yu is a tad monotonous, at least for the dramatic pieces, but watching him in action tends to make up for that. Jiang Wen deserves praise for his performance as he handles a character that can be both perceived as a villain and a hero. Betty Sun is a sight for sore eyes as the only female with major minutes.Despite a few blemishes, The Lost Bladesman ends up as a promising period piece film out of China.
DragonEyeMorrison
May 7, 2011
The script has it's ups and downs, Yen's acting is still on a limited range, but there has been some improvements. Good fight sequences, one in a water mill gets a bit sabotaged thanks to the poor use of light and shadow. The film has good pacing, it delivers what it promises.
April 8, 2012
Guan Yun por Donnie Yen, podia ser melhor, mas ficou bacana! Guan Yun PQP!
February 10, 2012
A kinder, gentler (not to mention shorter and paler) Guang Yu? I dunno 'bout all that. Methinks China is learning all the wrong lessons from Hollywood. But at least the kung fu's good.
½ August 25, 2011
Not Donnies best movie.
2,5/5
½ August 17, 2011
He was essentially a wolf with the soul of a lamb

Guan Yu is a reluctant soldier that only wants the love of his clan brother's concubine and the respect of his countrymen. He finds that he has to serve with his brother in a revolutionary general's militia to stay in contact with his secret love. In serving in the revolutionary's militia, Guan finds that he has to slay his countrymen and has more blood on his hands than he desires. Is his secret love worth throwing his honor away?

"Better I do wrong than be wronged."

Felix Chong (Lady Cop & Papa Crook, Once a Gangster, and Overheard1 & 2) and Alan Mak (Infernal Affairs 1, 2, & 3) delivers The Lost Bladesman. The storyline for this picture is interesting and worth following but not as good as other films within this genre. The action scenes were solid and I enjoyed the battle sequences. The cast delivers worthwhile performances and includes Donnie Yen, Andy On, and Wen Jiang.

"Even a hero can be defeated by a beauty."

I am a huge Donnie Yen fan and try to see all of his pictures. I can say this is an entertaining movie but does not stand out in any particular area. The storyline is not as good as Musa, Curse of the Golden Flowers, or Warlords; the cinematography was not as good as Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or House of the Flying Daggers; and the battle sequences was not as good as Red Cliff I or II. This is an above average picture but is not a classic within the genre.

"Land I can lose. The morale of my men, never."

Grade: B-
July 23, 2011
For The Action Scene Of This Movie It Is Came With A Strong Action Scene With Some Bloody Fun But When We Look At This Plot It Is Just Like Not The Novel Anymore
July 9, 2011
so where is the almighty Lu bu
June 18, 2011
The unpredictable element really caught me with my pants down when it suddenly ended. Now where the fuck is the epic end battle?
½ June 15, 2011
Donnie Yen has done very well his job of ridiculing Guan Yun Chang.
June 10, 2011
the story is a bit too complex in parts and im still not sure what went on myself *shrugs* but definately entertaining and some good fight scenes!
May 26, 2011
Not as good as the others Donnie Yen movies , should be better...
½ May 19, 2011
This movie is so lucky to have Jiang Wen starred as Cao Cao that he alone get the only Half Star review as the rest are simply rubbish.
½ May 16, 2011
May 6, 2011
Romance of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".
The 2 stars are for Cao Cao.
May 2, 2011
Yawn .... the mighty General Guan deserves a better plot & storytelling.
April 30, 2011
Nice action but story.. hmmm...