The Nines Reviews

MANUGINO MANUGINO
January 7, 2010
Y9u never kn9w when y9ur number is up.

Good movie. Very different from what I have seen before, this movie really has its own originality though its flaws also. The story was excellent but the acting was just not there, everyone played there roles pretty much mediocre and with a more talented cast it would have been way better. I still give props to Ryan for doing his best which is always noted, he's tough to be taken seriously since he's usually the funny type in movies. If you wanna watch something different that you probably haven't seen before go see this but see it with no expectation.

Gary, an actor who plays a cop on television, uses too much lighter fluid when he burns his ex-girlfriend's things, then he drinks and drives, uses crack, and crashes his car. He sobers up in jail and is placed under house arrest and the watchful eye of a publicist, the cheery and tough-minded Margaret. She moves him into the empty house of a writer who's away in Canada on a shoot. Gary meets Sarah, an attractive and seemingly-willing neighbor. His friendship with Margaret blooms and strange things happen: he finds notes he doesn't remember writing, he hears noises, and he seems to bump into himself in the kitchen. Two remaining chapters reveal what's going on.
blkbomb blkbomb
August 25, 2011
Susan: Do you feel like a man? Because I'll tell you a little secret - you're not.

"Y9u never kn9w when y9ur number is up."

The Nines is a very interesting film with a clever concept that seems to get too wrapped up in itself. John August seems to try too hard to confuse everyone throughout when just the idea in itself would have been great. He tried to make the movie be all about the payoff at the end, when we find out what is going on. I just think it could have been a lot better had he gone about it another way.

I did, however, moderately like the movie despite that. Ryan Reynolds is at his best and like I said before it is at least an interesting movie. I like how the movie used Hope Davis and Melissa McCarthy along with Reynolds in three different roles. That's not to say that I was totally sold on how everything in those three stories were brought together and summed up.

This is hard movie to rate because I do really want to like it because of the idea and the three performances from Reynolds, Davis and McCarthy. Then again it's rather disappointing and never becomes as good or even great as it could and should have been.
Coxxie M
½ June 23, 2009
Melissa McCarthy is one of the most adorable fat chicks ive seen in a while. Hope Davis will still be beautiful when the apocalypse comes. Ryan Reynolds finally makes a movie as good as himself.
366weirdmovies 366weirdmovies
½ May 5, 2011
Three separate plot strands---about a self-destructive actor under house arrest, a writer trying to get his series past the pilot stage while being filmed by a reality TV crew, and a video game designer whose car breaks down in the middle of nowhere---intertwine in a mysterious way, with the same actors playing different characters in each mini-story. A valiant and ambitious effort with some remarkable acting by Ryan Reynolds in his three roles; as is often the case in these sorts of mindbender/puzzle films, though, the mystery is much more satisfying than its solution.
Thomas J
September 4, 2010
I really LOVE the concept of this movie, but everything is clear. I will watch it again to maybe understand better, but from what I do understand, very creative idea but depends too much a confusing wrap up at the end. I want to like this movie more, but I need to understand better the complete idea!! lol
familiar s
½ February 1, 2009
Cool idea that doesn't get transformed into a cool movie.
bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
January 20, 2010
WHAT THE HILL WAS THIS ALL ABOUT. Can someone explain it to me, Did it just pass over my head. A complete waste of my time and the actors time. Oh wait a minute you understood it and enjoyed it, you must be that guy that runs around in them shi**y designer shirts with the little emblem on the pocket that no matter how hard you try to keep it from shrinking up and ruining the pocket you just can't do it. Get out of here 1 freaking star.
Leigh R
½ August 31, 2007
Middle of the road on this one. I liked it, but it was very confusing and hard to follow until the end when it started to piece together. I liked all the various roles done by each of the four main characters. Interesting!
Jani H
December 17, 2008
"Um, I'm kind of having a medical situation. I don't have a belly button."

The director, John August, has worked together with one of my ultimate favourite directors, Tim Burton, so I thought that this could actually be interesting. Well, prepare yourself for a huge disappointment.

"The Nines" has basically an interesting idea with deep themes, but it just gets weirder and weirder. It's too surrealistic and fails in every imagined ways. In the end, it's just another preposterous movie that had potential but bombed. Big.
deano deano
August 30, 2007
An intriguing post-modern take on TV, film and gaming culture, with a revelatory performance from Ryan Reynold. With Hope Davis and Melissa McCarthy in the three short films that fit together in different which is clever, but a bit strange and mind-bending thrill-ride.
arashxak arashxak
½ August 23, 2008
The directorial debut of the writer of Big Fish & Corpse Bride, I usually like this kind of movies and I was really enjoying this until the last part & its ridiculous ending, That's when the message becomes clear I mean the whole "The best of all possible worlds" thing almost ruined the whole movie for me
thefog1331 thefog1331
½ August 29, 2007
Odd but entertaining with Ryan Reynolds doing an excellent job of playing three roles that may or not may not be connected to each other.
It's a rather convoluted plot that has a rather underwhelming resolution yet somehow it seems to work.
At least it did for me.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn LorenzoVonMatterhorn
August 31, 2007
I always knew Ryan Reynolds was a God.

But in this one, he plays God (like a literal, actual God) into three parts. There's Gary, a TV star who is under house arrest after he accidentally sets his house on fire. And then there's Gavin, a TV writer struggling to keep his show "Knowing" on the air. Finally, we have Gabriel. A character in Gavin's TV show trying to get a signal from his phone after his car broke down.

Trust me, all is not it seems with this film. Its all so complicated it even challenges the complicated-ness and intricacy of the hit TV show "Lost". But from what I understand, Ryan Reynolds is a multi-dimensional being literally playing a God who can create worlds and play different characters. Despite the fact that the plot gives "Lost" a run for his money, it actually kinda clicked with me.

Maybe it was Ryan Reynolds' acting or maybe the flow of the story. I liked it a lot. John August, who is best known as a screenwriter, weaves these three tales in a harrowing epic in galactic proportions.

4/5
gor41 gor41
February 22, 2008
Original and clever story which doesn't deliver quite the emotional punch you expect in the big reveal.
Jason S
August 29, 2007
Excellent movie. This one will have you thinking and second guessing the whole time. Ryan Reynolds was great in it as were the female leads.
The way the movie was shot was great and the different parts were very well done.
puffchunk puffchunk
½ November 30, 2007
Cheers for being fun and new. Great Ideas, reminds me of something I'd hear in a science fiction short story class in school.
Nani V
August 24, 2007
This movie was crazy wasnt' it? Did anyone get it? I was pretty lost, but, it was still interesting.
Harlequin68 Harlequin68
February 2, 2010
"The Nines" consists of three interlocking stories:

The first starts with Gary(Ryan Reynolds), a television star, who in trying to destroy his ex-girlfriend's belongings, instead burns down his house. That's not all. He also goes on a crack binge with a prostitute(Octavia Spencer) before being arrested. His publicist Margaret(Melissa McCarthy) arranges for him to be placed under house arrest but temptation peers from the other side of the wall in the person of Sarah(Hope Davis), a new mother.

The second story answers some of the questions posed by the first story by approaching it from a completely different direction. This time, Melissa McCarthy(who I remember fondly from when she was on "Gilmore Girls") plays herself(and she's not the only one) when she gets the lead in a promising television pilot, written by Gavin(Ryan Reynolds.) All of which is captured for posterity for a reality television show.

The third story brings events full circle with a satisfying conclusion.

"The Nines" is a decent philosophical mindbender that uses the fractured prism of television to reflect on how getting distracted by small details can stop us from reaching our full potential. Thankfully, it backs away from the numerology mentioned in the first story. And while it might be hard to contemplate Ryan Reynolds in connection with any kind of profound thought, the movie confirms what I always suspected about koala bears.
stevetheman1236 stevetheman1236
September 3, 2011
The Nines is a weird movie. I guess you could classify it as surrealist, but not really. It's more of a drama, if even that.

And also, it doesn't really look like a movie, but more like made-for-TV. Yes, the first channel that comes to mind is Syfy.

Usually, I never really like Ryan Reynolds, but here, in The Nines, he gives a strong central performance, a performance that makes the movie more watchable. Part Two, in my opinion, was the best part. It was greatly acted and really intense. Part One was slow and I hated (I mean HATED) the Margaret character, and Part Three was good but the payoff wasn't quite enough.

It's another one of those movies that you can watch to pass the time. Nothing special. I've been coming across a lot of those lately.