The Oregonian Reviews

366weirdmovies
April 4, 2011
A woman has an accident driving in the deserted woods and finds herself trapped in a world where nothing makes sense. The director, Calvin Reeder, accurately describes it as a "surrealist/experimental movie with splashes of horror"; about a fourth of the audience walked out of the screening I saw, more likely from boredom than shock. If you're going to make a film with essentially no plot, every individual scene needs to be a knockout, and that's just not the case with THE OREGONIAN. But it gets points for remaining defiantly weird, and for a couple of very nice funny/creepy touches: a man whose pee turns all the colors of the rainbow, and a man-sized green muppet character.
June 8, 2015
Calvin Reeder's movie is actually a number of stolen disturbing cinematic cliches stitched together to form a mess of confused horror. But no one can deny that Reeder doesn't manage to create some oddly artistic and semi-comedic creepiness from beginning to end. It is quite flawed, but fans of trippy horror movies will be entertained. This film along with his short features offers an interesting glimpse into an experimental horror filmmaker finding his own voice.
½ January 27, 2013
Not even sure there is a movie here.
½ August 28, 2012
i was so bored i couldn't turn it off. plus i was just totally intrigued on what the fuck it all meant. i still do not know.
½ March 10, 2012
This was the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I most certainly have an open mind and love trippy movies, but this was the most confusing and biggest piece of garbage ever made. I think Reeder was on drugs when he made this movie, because being doped up may be the only way to understand it. The girl runs away from home and has a bunch of hallucinations unrelated to anything at all. Someone in a green muppet suit tries to kill her, she sees an old lady in a red cape just smiling all the time for no reason, and random people keep spitting brown mud (or unknown substance) out of their mouths. WTF?? what was the point? what was the plot? Did he want us to believe that the protagonist was really just a ghost walking around in a ghost world? I didn't get it. The ending sucked. And I had to mute it several times because the soundtrack was like nails scratching a chalkboard. This sucked, sucked, sucked.
February 12, 2012
it's deeper than you think, but you need patience to watch it......... This is actually a really creepy-ass movie, serously, don't watch this movie if you're trippin' out. Let me break it down for you. The girl was murdered and raped. This is what I think- the movie was her experience of the afterlife, the moments where her brain was still signalling-- and that is why parts of the movie don't make sense, much like a dream. She was most likely douced with gasoline *(hense everyone drinking gasoline). Also, that explains the final scene where she blisters and burns up in the car. This movie is good because you have to THINK and they don't spell out the story line... very interesting but could spoil a good mood.
January 29, 2012
Quite possibly the most bizarre film I've ever seen
January 1, 2012
Well shot, well edited, well acted, great sound design, very cool and stylish end credits. Way too much weird just to be weird and obtuse just to be obtuse and drooling of various substances out of mouths. There are people who will like this a lot more than me (and I didn't hate it, just found it to be, ultimately, disappointing).
October 18, 2011
If you like story, logic, and acting in your films this is not for you.
Containing a slew of undeveloped, characters who add nothing to the film who drink gas, and yell not at anything just yell
Cinematography that causes motion sickness. and that's it no plot. This has a feel of a film done by a 19 year old film student who wants to share his vision with the world who finds out once his acid trip ends that vision doesn't make much sense

WARNING if you get stuck watching this you may feel the need to finish it, thinking it has to come together at some point DON'T it never does and the attempt to make it do so only makes annoyance at an otherwise horrible film transcend into a feeling of rage at the time lost

The last spoken line is "you shouldn't have come here" I agree