• R, 1 hr. 50 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Road Reviews

March 21, 2013
This is NOT the film based on the Cormac McCarthy novel. Instead, it is a well-done and creepy Filipino psychological horror flick. Its impact is helped by its narrative structure, following three stories, each one taking place progressively earlier and shining additional light on the proceeding stories. Ultimately, it is an exploration of the long-term effects of mistreatment. Worth a look.
December 17, 2012
Great foreign horror film that really delivers with a budget that's obviouysly not too great. The scares are good and keep you questioning just what is happening and if it's natural or supernatural (as they should), and the story manages to keep looping back on itself and connecting all three or four storylines. While the ending twist probably isn't as surprising as the filmmakers were hoping, it's still a fun ride (heh) getting there.
December 4, 2013
'The Road shows three story,. And Yam Shows the connection of those three that will end up with one conclusion.. I've NEVER seen a horror film like this... I would say that, This is one of the best the Horror Films I've seen in years...The Road is NOT just a a horror film ... A low-budget Horror film from the Philippines will mess up your life ... For real! You will notice, from the very beginning of the movie, Yam decided not to use loud and scary music; Smart used of camera and impressive used of cinematography - That makes you feel that you're actually there ... Yam delivers a powerfull and an absolute suspense Psycho-Horror film with a small budget.. The Road is NOT scary ..... It's beyond Scary ...It gets under your skin the moment you started watching it, till the end of the movie.....
July 15, 2012
. . .a supernatural psychological thriller that leaves its audience in a state of somberness, but in a good way. It's a film with such powerful intent that affects its overall tone. It wants you to experience it and get the point of the whole setup.
Zen  D.
October 26, 2013
Filipinos really make great horror flicks, but I'm not sure about this one. More like a drama.
September 22, 2013
The third act is compelling on its own while the first two feel overstretched. The climactic patching doesn't even feel cohesive enough to justify the three episodes that make the film. It may disappoint those expecting a scream-fest like The Grudge, but those willing to sit through several tedious parts in exchange for some creeps and psychological thrills might enjoy this one.
April 27, 2012
Heavy on a normal person's eyes, but if a viewer who is artistic and deep-thinker, this is a film for you... this movie has a sense of thick texture on ambiance, intense yet mild to the heart and massive effect on the soul that will keep you watching...
June 30, 2013
THE ROAD is pretty disappointing at best. Just a total bore that kept reminding of other far better films.
May 16, 2013
The Road (Yam Laranas, 2011)

I am a heap-big fan of Filipino director Yam Laranas' Sigaw (which he came over to America to remake in 2008 as The Echo, and the American version, while nowhere near as good as the original, actually ain't half bad). The Road is the only other movie of his I've had a chance to catch, and I have to say that given Sigaw it was something of a disappointment. Though I rush to add that were this directed by some no-name making his first feature, I'd probably be telling you "hey, this is derivative, but it's stylish and pretty cool," so take that with as much salt as necessary.

Plot: An abandoned marginal road where bad things seem to happen is examined during three separate incidents: in 2008, 1998, and 1988. The wraparound story concerns Luis (Patient X's TJ Trinidad), a newly-decorated cop at loggerheads with his sergeant because of his unconventional tactics. As Luis and the police assisting him uncover the successively older crimes, Luis becomes more and more obsessed with the case...

It's not bad stuff, and I will admit that I totally did not see the Big Reveal(TM) coming at all. In fact, the only real problem with The Road is that there's nothing at all new here; Laranas has just taken the various pieces of standard Asian horror films and glued them together, albeit very stylishly. (Compare to Sigaw's wonderful domestic-disturbance ghosts or Patient X using the relatively rare aswang [rare, at least, as a horror movie monster] as his antagonist.) Laranas delivers up another slice of stylish, well-filmed, well-acted horror here, but it isn't anything you haven't seen before. ** 1/2
April 27, 2013
One of the best Filipino horror movies I have seen!!!
January 30, 2013
i tired to make it through but got bored. way to repetitive and as high look as it was= horrid makeup job that looked of crayons and lost dreams.
April 25, 2012
Excruciating in a good way and works on every level. No doubt about that as it pleasures the viewers with Yam Laranas' strong flair for cinematography and direction. I can consider it his best work since Sigaw (The Echo). Some of the cast got in the way though with their unconvincing performances but overall, it's definitely a remarkably terrifying experience.
December 30, 2012
Glacial pacing kills a movie that could have been really something. The first thirty minutes had my heart racing, but I caught on to the director's tricks and soon lost interest to the point where I was praying for it to end. The ending makes no sense and while I could see where the filmmaker was trying to go, it just didn't work out. Who are all these people and are they the same people and what...who..? Whatever, I don't really care enough to try and think about it because I'm not sure this movie is deserving of such deep thought. The third act isn't even horror, but a taut family drama. This filmmaker has a good film in him, but it isn't this one. Beautiful cinematography, though.
Robyn Nesbitt
December 7, 2012
Choosing to go down this road will ultimately lead you to a destination of indifference. Well done psychological thriller with a satisfying story and some genuine chills. Slow moving at times and staying engaged becomes tedious. It's not that it's that bad of a film, I'm just saying it's not that great of one either.
May 11, 2012
The film's three-pronged narrative does a fair job of laying a spooky groundwork for the revelatory emotional sadism that lies behind most acts of evil; it just takes a bit of clunky exposition to get there.
October 28, 2012
better than most american horror , not the best i have seen but not bad
October 23, 2012
A ghastly noir and having a weary atmosphere, this horror film grasps tension and delivers theatrical suspense for you to watch it until the end...
Travis B.
October 12, 2012
Mediocre horror. Impossible to decipher, and it wasn't because it was in a foreign language.
ss z.
August 10, 2012
Terrible slow boring typical foreign horror flick!