64% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Victim Reviews

February 5, 2013
Michael Biehn's writing/directorial debut is a total dud. Very loose concept, poor acting, sequences that drag way too long and pointless flashback scenes. Michael Biehn is one of my favorite actors has built a great reputation. Best known as Kyle Reese in The Terminator, not to mention as Corp. Dwayne Hicks in Aliens and Hiram Coffey in The Abyss, Reese's performance is shockingly deadpan with very little to no emotion. A man of his talents should not be this bad. The supporting cast wasn't great either. Jennifer Blanc (Biehn's wife in real life) plays a stripper trying to hide from some corrupt cops that kill her friend. Her performance is just as bad with the exception of a sex scene between her a Biehn. Hmmm go figure right? There is a moment in the movie where the attitude of the two main characters goes completely 180 which didn't make sense to me at all. I surely hope the next time Michael Biehn does another film, it is a lot more innovative with better actors and a well drawn plot. I truly was a victim in watching this very crummy film.
January 17, 2013
I got 45 mins into this and had to stop watching. The writing was terrible and the only good actress was Danielle Harris. The attempts of having suspense were completely failed and it seemed like the writers put in a sex scene at every chance they got. Don't waste your time with this.
Landon M.
May 1, 2014
Why this movie hard to watch? well one of the reasons is that because it looks like 2 very young women having sex with old men, I don't know about you but that shit ain't right.
March 13, 2014
This movie is just plain fun. maybe even a filthy indulgance. if your looking for anything more than to be entertained, then look elsewhere. this is a roller-coaster. enjoy the ride
April 19, 2013
You can count on Biehn to give an enjoyably gruff performance but as a first time director he needs some work. Simply labeling a film as being in the vein of grindhouse cinema doesn't automatically make it so. Languid pacing and little excitement. I wanted to completely write this off until the closing credits really hammered in how much Biehn cared about this project.
September 5, 2013
A simple story with a good twist at the end. Not the greatest acting, but Danielle Harris was amazing as always.
January 31, 2013
Annie lands on Kyle's front porch deep within the woods after being chased by two murderous cops, but as each of their stories begin to change, it will be left up to Kyle to determine the real victim... Genre favorite Michael Biehn stars as our crowbar-wielding hero in THE VICTIM, his second outing as both writer and director. Unfortunately, the audience is the one true victim in all of this. THE VICTIM is a mess from the very beginning. The poorly scripted characters and dialog are far from believable, faults that become that much more apparent throughout the grossly overacted performances. When the awkward sex scenes and confusing flashbacks are also taken in to account, it becomes increasingly difficult to remain involved in the plot. The end credits only seem to confirm the cast and crew's half-serious tone, but this isn't clear at any other point in the film. While Biehn and Blanc show a definite appreciation for the genre, this creative team will require much more outside experience to shore up many of the flaws in production.
January 14, 2013
Not bad but not great , ok to kill an hour and a half.
November 23, 2012
The film was all over the place. I felt like Biehn was making things up as it went along.
September 18, 2012
Really disappointing.
July 20, 2012
Michael Biehn working again on a Grindhouse film, using the experience of his career on a dirty-violent film that looks awesome in trailer. Oh, yeah, I want to see this.
April 16, 2012
a grindhouse type movie
September 27, 2012
Veteran character actor Michael Biehn's directorial debut is a taunt, fast moving throwback to the thrillers of the 1970's lovingly dubbed "savage cinema." It is raw, violent, full of sex and female nudity, yes it is gratuitous and joyously so. It is also an agreeable enough time waster that manages to avoid becoming offensive or repulsive.
Said to have been inspired by his working with Robert Rodriguez on the movie Grindhouse, not necessarily inspired by grind house cinema as has been reported, this film has a low budget guerilla-style look to it that is fully appropriate given the material and adds to it's off white colorfulness. Shot in a speedily manner, eleven days with a budget of $800,000, Biehn's debut is surprisingly well manned.
I went into this one knowing nothing about it except that Biehn starred in it and had directed it, and found myself pleasantly surprised with his skill behind the camera. Working with his wife, actress Jennifer Blanc, also a co-producer, I didn't even know that Biehn also wrote the script, which serves as the movie's weakest point.
Blanc stars as Annie, a stripper cokehead who along with her best friend Mary (Danielle Harris) are partying with a couple of local cops when things go a little sour, to say the least. Mary ends up dead, the victim of the title, and the officers pursue Annie. She finds refuge with Kyle (Biehn), a recluse who lives alone in the woods and tries to avoid drawing any attention.
Biehn is a strong presence, an actor who under different circumstances could have easily become a star and a Hollywood leading man, he dropped off the radar for a while, but thanks to Rodriguez's above mentioned movie he has resurfaced in some worthwhile projects and more high profile films. He adds a legitimacy to this movie and no doubt helped this film get a justifiably better release including dates at a number of film festivals and a brief theatrical run.
His lovely wife Blanc does a fine job, but isn't overtly charismatic in the heroine role. Scream queen Harris is always a treat for fans of the genre, sadly she has little to do playing the title role. Mostly Harris' scenes are confined to badly edited, awkwardly placed and poorly written flashbacks.
Also the over all pacing is thrown off by the intrusive music on the soundtrack. Even at 83 minutes things do seem to run a little long. The camerawork is solid and it all comes to a satisfactory ending, even if it goes out on a plot twist that becomes apparent to the viewer long before it occurs to our protagonist. With a decent budget and a better script, Biehn could be a decent genre director, I will look forward to future movies from one of our most underrated actors, one who could have been a contender.
September 27, 2012
Being Michael Biehnīs directorial debut is not bad but not good. It shows us he can do whatever he wants with the camera but is far away of being a good writer. Sex and murder always brings good thriller and suspense, but putting sexual situations as the main point in this film is not good!
September 26, 2012
Great little movie.. the haters are simply taking it waaaaaay too serious.
It comes across fun, crude and sexy just like it was meant to be.
Something tells me Biehn was just testing the directing waters.. Expect much more from him in the near future.
September 20, 2012
i was expecting more nude scenes, not that bad for a small budget movie and biehn was fine but overall still a little weak
The Reluctant Geek
September 20, 2012
Emerging from some of the most pivotal science fiction films to have graced the screens, veteran Michael Biehn (The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss) makes his directorial debut in the 'grindhouse' labelled film The Victim.

After a good start with some nice camera work that is reminiscent of slasher classics like Friday the 13th and visual effects similar to those in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Victim doesn't quite deliver the bloodbath you would expect from the setup. The camera work does remain true to the genre throughout and we get some nice flashbacks explaining the backstory, which includes a little bit of titillation. The sex scene between Biehn and wife Blanc is shot very tastefully to the point that it could have come from any number of commercial flicks. Any violent scenes that appear are very much under the covers with no trace of blood or injury. Grindhouse fans are treated to one over the top killing involving a very unrealistic rubber doll and squelchy bone crunching sound effects, but again it is under the cover of darkness and void of the usual splatter expected from an exploitation film.

It was nice to see that The Victim didn't succumb to the temptation of overlaying the scratches and grime present in a lot of current neo-grindhouse flicks. Nor does it resemble the genre reinvigorated by the likes of Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, a big surprise given that Biehn is very open in acknowledging the influence of Robert Rodriguez, even going so far as to dedicate the film to him in the end credits. Instead The Victim takes the natural feel of classics such as Halloween and I Spit on Your Grave and re-awakens them with a rather nice script that may even be seen as being a bit too good for grindhouse.

The Victim is not a bad film and you may have fun watching it, providing you have a penchant for 70s slasher suspense. The plot is pretty well conceived and there's some nice acting on the part of Biehn. However, if you are expecting a grindhouse furore of sex, violence and stereotyped characters present in classics the likes of Ilsa - She Wolf of the SS or Last House on the Left, you may be disappointed. Grindhouse cinema is characterised by restricted content designed to shock and thrill the audience. What we have with The Victim is a 15 rated psychological thriller that contains tamed infusions of traditional slasher and shocksploitation.
Anthony M.
August 25, 2012
I saw the premiere with Michael Biehn, and I thought it was a fun little horror movie.
Nothing amazing, but not bad..

7/10