There's Only One Jimmy Grimble - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

There's Only One Jimmy Grimble Reviews

½ August 27, 2010
"There is more to life than just football. Just kidding!" I love soccer, but this film was slightly boring.
December 3, 2012
a great piece of british film making, bringing english culture and football together in 1 package.
December 6, 2011
It was a great film, I thought this movie was very good, Lewis McKenzie, Gina McKee, Ben Miller, Robert Carlyle, Ray Winstone and it also starred Samia Ghadie (Maria in Coronation Street) I loved this film, I own it on DVD
½ August 29, 2007
Lovely little footy flick.
October 29, 2012
Loved this film! We watched it in school and I loved it it is about a boy with no confidence livening in a council flat it represents Britten perfectly life in the film comes close to home it was great
June 5, 2011
Grimble is a Northern lad who wants to make it big in football. Well there's always hope, sadly there's no hope of him making it big in films. Another dreadful football film to add to the pantheon. Thank God there's only one of these films. Shearer has a cameo role, that is how low the acting goes.
April 24, 2011
I've now seen this film 5 or 6 on DVD. The first time I saw it I wasn't really watching and so wasn't convinced, but thought it was good. The second time, I watched it seriously ... and thought it absolutely brilliant.

For myself, an Englishman who always wanted to be a footballer but without the necessary talent (or any talent), this is a story of dreams come true. Of a home-life that is far from perfect, but with a mother who loves you. And a teacher who used to be a striker at the highest level. How much better can it get?

There's great acting from Robert Carlyle, Ray Winstone, Gina McKee and Samia Ghandie; and a brilliant soundtrack reinforcing the emotionally key moments of the film. The side-plots are subtly handled and the ending has made me cry more than once.

Wonderful ..... especially if you have always wanted to be a great footballer but never made it, or have been unlucky in love. Recommended.
April 15, 2011
This film says a lot.
February 10, 2011
Great adult cast, just not much interested in kids.
½ August 27, 2010
½ August 22, 2010
sweet film with good actors and...magical football boots
June 29, 2010
Best in Show: Lewis McKenzie
One for the future: Lewis McKenzie
Stand-out scene: first goal
Brainer or no-brainer: No brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: One
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

TV
The inclusion of Robert Carlyle in the cast draws your attention to the fact that this is another 'this year's Full Monty' attempt from the British film industry. While attempts should be being made to re-write the formula (cf. Dog Soldiers and Shaun of the Dead) instead what we get are lame efforts like this that once seen are immediately forgotten. With the calibre of a cast that includes Gina McKee (potentially one of this country's greatest actresses but consistently let down by poor material), Robert Carlyle and Ray Winstone you would have thought that there'd be a degree of quality control at work here. Jimmy Grimble is a bullied Manchester schoolboy who dreams of success on the football pitch but suffers from a lack of self-confidence at key moments. A chance encounter with a lady tramp in a derelict building leads to him obtaining a pair of battered football boots. The said footwear have a miraculous effect on Grimble's goalscoring abilities and he's transformed from zero to hero when one swipe of his boot sees him score from in the middle of his own half. So far, so familiar and almost every cliche in the book is drawn out through the fairly painful course of this movie. That said, there are some plus points; Lewis McKenzie shows promise in the title role and there's a fair amount of Man Utd bashing going on (Grimble is staunchly City, well he is from Manchester after all).
April 26, 2010
Arguably the best football film ever. Jimmy is a young lad that plays for the school team and dreams of playing for Man City. Jimmy is the only Man City fan at his school and gets bullied by the most popular lad ( who supports United ) at school. Jimmy is given a pair of old boots by an old lady that belonged to a Man City legend and his confidence starts to show through his silky skills on the pitch. There is a brilliant game, where suprise suprise it is hammering it down with rain in Lancashire and the tackles are flying in. This film has a superb cast is very funny in parts and has a awesome soundtrack including The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Fat Boy Slim and The Charlatans etc. A must see film for any football fan.
March 22, 2010
it's about city how can you not love it???
September 13, 2009
This is a film with an all star British cast (Geena McKee, Ray Winston and Robert Carlyle) and a wonderfully whimsical storyline. A congenial but dramatically muddled comedy-drama about a young Mancunian who dreams of glory on his home turf. Director John Hay develops each of his strands very fully and ensures that they are interwoven at just the right moments. The football sequences are involving, the film is shot through with a gentle humour and, as is always the case in underdog-makes-good films, you can't help rooting for Jimmy when he steps up for the footie finale.
July 21, 2009
Bout time City had a film with them in!!!!
July 9, 2009
It is the best movie in the history of forever football fans this is a must-see