The Thief Lord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thief Lord Reviews

October 3, 2007
This adventure film set in the beautiful city of Venice aims primarily at a young audience. That does not mean there is nothing for adults here, but they may have a harder time connecting to the story, what with very few believable grown-up characters in the story and a rather disjointed way of telling it. The plot gets surprisingly complex for a kids adventure, but the dialog remains rather shallow and simplistic. The soundtrack often makes things sound more exciting and bombastic than they actually are. The movie's biggest asset is the setting, which is primarily real Venice and oozes the atmosphere of the city (even if obviously filmed in winter). The characters do remain rather flat. Now, kids certainly don't mind all that, there is plenty of stuff happening and glimpses of magic between the adventure plot. So the target audience should have fun with it, as an adult there have been more coherent films to watch with children than this.
January 10, 2013
Aimed at a younger audience, instead of finding this whimsical and heart-warming, I found it to be slow-paced, shallow and boring. The adults are made out as buffoons, the kids are not cuddly or even likable, and the story is a misch masch of confusing elements in an overly simplistic wrapper. I can't see kids liking this much either. I understand the books are quite good though.
November 11, 2012
It simply doesn't carry the same enchantment the original novel did, and there is more spontaneity in the order of scenes as the whole film feels random. There are attempts to develop some of the minor characters, but all fall short of convincing. Although the end is happy and everyone gets what they deserve, the buildup was poor.
January 22, 2012
Slow, derivative, and puts me to sleep. None of the characters are lovable, making this lousy film adaptation extremely arduous to follow
November 11, 2011
Really good movie. Kids out to really enjoy it and so will their parents. I like to watch movies with my kids so it's important for it to be a family movie.
May 18, 2011
I read this book before I realized it was also a movie. I was incredibly excited to find the movie on DVD, but I shouldn't have been. While the book is charming and full of adventure, the movie falls entirely flat in almost every way. The kids are mostly well cast, but nothing else comes even close to capturing the fun of the book. I was so disappointed.
½ July 5, 2009
I like this movie when I first watchedit, however it was my sisters and she got rid of it because she though it was boring, I would like to see it again.
October 25, 2008
wat a gr8 movie, luv the actors. i've always luved the story, but i think the movie is way betr!! jasper harris is the cutest kid EVR!!!
July 14, 2008
i love this movie Rollo weeks is so cute!!!!!!iwish he would be in alot more movies he is such a good actor and still so cute or as a grown women would say it handsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 8, 2008
Typical kid film, which isn't to say it's bad... just not great. Visually, it's impressive and the story is okay. However, it also comes complete with a world where every adult is a bufoon and terrible acting from some of the kids (mainly just the Thief Lord, himself). Also, why does everyone in Venice speak with an English accent?
January 1, 2008
Straight-to-video family film junk. Takes what was good in the book and makes it like any other crappy kid's fantasy film.
½ September 11, 2007
You seriously can't beat the book, but this isn't that bad of an adaption to this tale full of mystery and maybe a little magic
July 24, 2007
Totally great. Magical right down the the very end. The best book I've read in a long time done justice in a movie.
June 24, 2007
I loved the book, and expected the film to be a bit embaressing, but was quite pleasantly surprised. Some of the 'Italy coming alive' metaphor bits were just reaching too far, but on the whole a well-put-together film.
July 3, 2007
that was such a good, movie that it surprised me, movies usaully don't lve up to the greatness of the book they r based off of
½ June 27, 2007
The Thief Lord is a great book and a wonderful movie!!!!
And I love Rollo Weeks and Aaron Johnson!!!!
June 20, 2007
read the book a looong time ago. i think i enjoyed the movie more than the book! although it was a tad weird in places...
June 9, 2007
This was my fav movie at one time (not much now) But Rollo Weeks, Aaron Johnson, and George MacKay were cute.
½ June 4, 2007
not to bad! good kids movie! they'll think its great! not quite sure why its rated R... i guess i missed somethine!! idk! lol
½ June 4, 2007
Aaron Johnson you rock! Great book also! I asked my teacher if he would wed me and the book and he said sure. Rollo Weeks also is good in it. "So the thief is just a little rich boy's game?" - Prosper/Prop