The Thief Lord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thief Lord Reviews

October 3, 2007
This adventure film set in the beautiful city of Venice aims primarily at a young audience. That does not mean there is nothing for adults here, but they may have a harder time connecting to the story, what with very few believable grown-up characters in the story and a rather disjointed way of telling it. The plot gets surprisingly complex for a kids adventure, but the dialog remains rather shallow and simplistic. The soundtrack often makes things sound more exciting and bombastic than they actually are. The movie's biggest asset is the setting, which is primarily real Venice and oozes the atmosphere of the city (even if obviously filmed in winter). The characters do remain rather flat. Now, kids certainly don't mind all that, there is plenty of stuff happening and glimpses of magic between the adventure plot. So the target audience should have fun with it, as an adult there have been more coherent films to watch with children than this.
January 10, 2013
Aimed at a younger audience, instead of finding this whimsical and heart-warming, I found it to be slow-paced, shallow and boring. The adults are made out as buffoons, the kids are not cuddly or even likable, and the story is a misch masch of confusing elements in an overly simplistic wrapper. I can't see kids liking this much either. I understand the books are quite good though.
November 11, 2011
Really good movie. Kids out to really enjoy it and so will their parents. I like to watch movies with my kids so it's important for it to be a family movie.
½ July 5, 2009
I like this movie when I first watchedit, however it was my sisters and she got rid of it because she though it was boring, I would like to see it again.
October 25, 2008
wat a gr8 movie, luv the actors. i've always luved the story, but i think the movie is way betr!! jasper harris is the cutest kid EVR!!!
July 14, 2008
i love this movie Rollo weeks is so cute!!!!!!iwish he would be in alot more movies he is such a good actor and still so cute or as a grown women would say it handsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 24, 2007
Totally great. Magical right down the the very end. The best book I've read in a long time done justice in a movie.
July 3, 2007
that was such a good, movie that it surprised me, movies usaully don't lve up to the greatness of the book they r based off of
½ June 27, 2007
The Thief Lord is a great book and a wonderful movie!!!!
And I love Rollo Weeks and Aaron Johnson!!!!
June 9, 2007
This was my fav movie at one time (not much now) But Rollo Weeks, Aaron Johnson, and George MacKay were cute.
½ June 4, 2007
not to bad! good kids movie! they'll think its great! not quite sure why its rated R... i guess i missed somethine!! idk! lol
½ June 4, 2007
Aaron Johnson you rock! Great book also! I asked my teacher if he would wed me and the book and he said sure. Rollo Weeks also is good in it. "So the thief is just a little rich boy's game?" - Prosper/Prop
May 30, 2007
read the book, and kept wishing they would make the movie and boom here it is, had to buy it, and have watched it many times, great book also.
May 24, 2007
A fun adventure for kids and grown-ups alike. If you like Narnia or Harry Potter, you'll like The Thief Lord.
April 21, 2007
Best Movieeeeeeeeee Everrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 14, 2007
I love this movie! I have it on DVD and my family and I watch it all the time. We also have the book. I loved Rollo Weeks as Scipio I think he had the right amount of quirk and charm for the part and Aaron Johnson was the perfect Prosper it really felt like Aaron and Jasper (Prosper and Bo) were actually brothers.
February 11, 2007
Pretty good movie about hit book. Stayed very true to the book, which was good, and the cast was good too.
January 3, 2007
I loved this movie. I read the book after watching the movie and now own both. It is a great adventure story.
November 5, 2006
THIS MOVIE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (as does rollo weeks)
October 20, 2006
It is my all time favorite movie!! (Aside from Stormbreaker, of course) I loooved the book. And the movie was amazing. Just like the book!