This Is the End Reviews

½ June 22, 2013
This Is the End is a laugh riot. Has Seth Rogen ever been in a bad movie? His lowest rated movie per RottenTomatoes is The Watch (16%), but I thought that was a pretty funny and entertaining movie. I think The Green Hornet is the limpest of the bunch. If you are offended by that adjective, you definitely should NOT watch this movie as there are more male body/sex/potty jokes than I've encountered in any other movie in my lifetime (and I am old enough to remember Porky's).

At face value, it seems like it would be pretty hard to screw this movie up with Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Michael Cera and a dozen others playing themselves during the Apocalypse. Even Rihanna and Harry Potter's Emma-freaking-Watson have extended cameos. There is one cameo that is so absurd and crazy that it would be a major spoiler to reveal it.

Speaking of spoiler alerts, you'd think that the cause of the Apocalypse wouldn't be revealed, but that hasn't been the case. One reviewer mentions that it it is a literal interpretation of the Bible's Book of Revelations. You're at least 45 minutes into the movie before the reveal of what is really happening (unless you were raised reading the Bible. Then you get it pretty early on).

Yeah, it's also a riff on the egocentricity of Hollywood celebrities, but who really cares unless you are an avid reader of TMZ or Perez Hilton. The real brilliance is in the dialogue, a ton of which has to be ad-lib/improv. There are so many jokes in this movie told in the context of the story it would fill a TV comedy series for multiple seasons.

This is a two-hour comedy movie. Do they make any comedy movie that long? I just hope it has a Lord of the Rings-style Extended Edition on DVD.
½ November 13, 2013
funny enough, and the hilarious cameos certainly didn't hurt, but it's nowhere near as good as Neighbors.
½ November 14, 2013
Really? So many people found this movie funny???
½ June 10, 2013
The apocalypse, again, but this time its for some B-list actors (you know them all, seen them all before, and there's a little of been there, done that in the humor department too) all partying down when the bleep hits the fan: who will live, who will die? Do we care anyway?
Well, after a minute, yes, won over not only with the entertaining scenario but its pretty good execution as well. And the fact that we know all of them works to draw us in. They're sort of our friends too after a bit, and the constant mention of previously seen films adds to that known quality dimension. Its a fun film from the group, and very nearly an endorsement for pot legalization everywhere in the States.
The Gandiman
½ December 25, 2013
Incredibly zany "This Is the End" is an unexpected treat. What could have been a bunch of affected A-listers parading around for no reason except to self-indulge themselves is instead a pretty hilarious view of the end of the world.

In between all the self-referential jokes is an actual storyline with dramatic payoff and substantive situations.
skactopus
November 23, 2013
Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen's fantasy comedy mash up, This Is the End, delivers everything as expected.100 minutes of story-time is longer than needed for what transpires. There is a lot of time wasted on comedic antics that the apocalyptic story ends up in the shadow. and there are lengthy stretches between intriguing events that the film itself becomes stale.The comedy is crude and obscene, obviously with a lot focused on sexual humor. It isn't all bad, because with the amount thrown out there, it is difficult not to laugh at some of it. The CG effects are a pleasant surprise, although not exactly award winning in any way.The so-called all-star cast, playing themselves, do what they do best, and that is entertain. The plethora of other cameos fit in nicely with the style of film.This Is the End showcases Evan's and Seth's writing and directing skills; outrageous, yet mildly amusing.
½ October 30, 2013
A silly but amusing comedy that works surprisingly well because of the vulgar and self-deprecating way the actors play themselves. Some of the jokes do fall short but most of the plot is very funny and entertaining with its highly ad-libbed obscene humor.
October 22, 2013
Though not perfect, it is a successful comedy due to its unique plot, amiable performances (including some great cameos), and a genuinely well-written script.
Clintus M.
½ October 22, 2013
I just didn't get the joke with this film. Its a goofy tragedy told in the setting of young Hollywood self gratulatory buffoons. I admittedly didn't make it to the end of this boisterous twaddle.
January 19, 2013
Consistent, daring, and made by immensely talented people. Also painfully hilarious.
½ October 1, 2013
Great premise, but penis jokes - especially when delivered ad nauseam like in this film - just don't do it for me.
MANUGINO
July 18, 2013
Nothing ruins a party like the end of the world.

Good funny movie! If you've seen Superbad, Pineapple Express, etc., then you know the type of humor this movie will have. I, for one, could watch James Franco, Seth Rogan, and Danny McBride leisurely eat a sandwich and manage to laugh my butt off. Thankfully this movie is much more exciting than that. It's brilliant that they all just play themselves and manage to poke fun at their own lifestyles. Expect weed and drug humor of course. The cast is perfect and the cameos aren't there to fill out the movie and take up time, they are excellent especially Emma Watson and Michael Cera. There are a few scary jumps on the way but the humour will carry you through it, as i said the story so well written you'll go with the flow.

All Jay Baruchel expected coming to LA was a fun time with Seth Rogen with all the wild partying to have both by themselves and at James Franco's housewarming party. Suddenly, the Rapture hits and the Biblical Apocalypse has begun. Now, Jay and Seth are desperately sheltering in James' house for rescue along with a few other friends. Together, they must band together to attempt to survive the end of the world, only for Jay to find that they are all too dumb and superficial to do it until they discover the only way out.
September 26, 2013
Knew very little about this movie before watching it and I think that was what made it so good. Basically a cast of everyone who has been in a seth rogen movie is in this. Great fun, totally stupid and brilliant.
½ June 14, 2013
Witty punchlines was Seth Rogen's bread and butter for his comedic career. So why not write the script of a movie filled with a legendary comedic cast? Sounds like a win-win situation. But "This is the End" is a prime example of Seth Rogen's lack of writing experience. Though "This is the End" is brash, crude, and plain raunchy, from beginning to end, it was not funny -- it's as simple as that.

I'm all up for comedies driven by strong writing, and for the most part, "This is the End" flows like a dialogue-driven film. But as minutes go by, you soon realize that the writing is underwhelming, and by the end of the film, you realize that you didn't laugh too much. Acting's surprisingly great for the most part, and the charisma put into this project is nothing short of commendable. In the end, it all comes crashing down when its missing the meat of what "This is the End" should have: comedy.

As a big fan of Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, and Craig Robinson, I'm sad to say that I was sorely disappointed with "This is the End". Hey, maybe you'll have your insides bursting with laughter with this one, for I was one of the few that disliked "Ted", but "This is the End" didn't cut the deal for me.
September 15, 2013
So someone in this group has a hard for The Backstreet Boys, well lets call it a guilty pleasure shall we. Best mates Rogen and Goldberg have written many films together and this time they decided to simply make a film which included all their other best mates...and have a blast (is this really work for these people??).

Enter Franco, Hill, McBride, Robinson and Baruchel (along with Rogen) as they all play themselves (so to speak) in LA for a lively house party. Along for the ride we see cameos from Cera, Segel, Tatum, Ansari, Watson, Mintz-Plasse, Kaling, Rudd, Hart and errr...Rihanna? (someone must have a hard on for her).

So most of the cast from various Rogen/Goldberg flicks are here along with a few of their friends and some of the cast from 'The Office'. During this party at Franco's house there are big earthquakes as the world slowly comes to an end and lots of people end up being killed off. This sequence is one of the better parts of the film as you various stars getting killed and their precious little world of LA getting burnt to a cinder. Dunno what some of these people would do without LA because we all know they can't bare to be away from it for real.

From here on its a survival flick with a small bunch of guys enduring a nightmare scenario during the apocalypse...but with a dark comedy twist. The whole idea is kinda interesting but at first I found myself not liking most of the 'characters'. They are suppose to be playing themselves but of course its hyped up...you do kinda wonder though, how close to the bone these performance are. I'm sure these film stars lives aren't too far off this angle, regular parties/get together's in their big mansions, weed, booze (to a degree), sexy girls on call, spending crazy amounts of money on weird interior decorations that only the mega rich could even dream of affording, does make you roll your eyes.

As the film progresses it does get better and more like a spoof or parody of horror/action flicks, kinda like 'Army of Darkness' maybe. That kind of low budget trashy nonsense where you can just roll with the silliness and have fun. The only difference here is the film isn't low budget, it looks pretty slick in the devastation sequences and has some nice demonic CGI beasties too. Of course there are plenty of B-movie moments which are cool, mainly the deaths which are deliberately over the top and bloody, a few predictable rips from other movies and of course the dialog is totally slapstick. The whole thing actually felt very much like a live action version of the 'South Park' movie from 1999. The big red magma fella in the finale with his huge schlong swinging right in front of the camera!...you see what I mean.

On the one hand I did enjoy these guys talking about their previous flicks, comparing sequences, making homemade sequels when they were bored, sticking in old props and generally taking the piss out of each other. But on the other hand, after a time the whole thing does seem to feel a bit self-conceited, these guys are laughing at themselves sure...but are they really? it does come across as a bit of a vanity project, call me cynical, but end of the day we all know these folk love talking about themselves and their films.

When the film is getting stuck into the plot and not revolving around the stars filmographies it can be a fun flick. There are some great dialog conflicts here and there, the cum dialog sequence between Franco and McBride springs to mind and I quite liked how Hill mentions that the rescue services will come for them first because they are big movie stars (deep down they all probably actually believe that). Not too sure if its just LA that gets destroyed in the story or the whole world though, thought it was LA because of the earthquake prone area but unsure, I'm guessing its the whole world.

Its funny though, certain cast members play the same type of characters you'd expect. McBride is the untrustworthy schmuck like he always is, so hardly playing himself really, Franco is kinda underhanded and is Jonah Hill gay??. Any who the film is reasonably enjoyable at times yet a bit self indulgent I think. This could of been a more straight up dark comedy fantasy without all the self promotion and pointless buddy cameos (they love this in-house stuff no matter how self depreciating, don't kid yourself), it still would have worked well. I think you gotta like this particular bunch of actors basically, I do like Rogen, Cera, Hill and McBride so it was passable for me. If you don't get on with these guys then this probably isn't the film for you.
July 23, 2013
Some surprisingly funny moments. And I will never look at Michael Cera the same way again. But too long and a bit draggy in parts.
FiLmCrAzY
May 22, 2013
How can you have so many comedy actors and have so little laughs, yes it had some amusing scenes but seth rogen and his group of uninspiring actors are really over doing it on the weed, loser front!
YodaMasterJedi
August 22, 2013
four stars
TomBowler
August 6, 2013
Nails the comedy though it slightly undercooks the bromance side of things. Full review later.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 28, 2013
This is the End is a highly enjoyable and hilarious comedy packed with great gags and laughs. Every actor here plays themselves and they each do a fine job in their performance. We have gotten a few good comedies this year, but with this one, we finally get the best one we've had all year. The film starts off a bit slow, but it picks up fairly quickly and the jokes become more intense and better as well. If you are to see one comedy this, this is the one to watch. This is a highly engaging movie that will delight viewers that felt that there wasn't any good or watchable comedy this year. If you were disappointed with the third Hangover and the sequel to Grown Ups, then this is the film to watch. The writing is well done, the idea is great and the cast do a fine job as over exaggerating their famous selves. The idea behind the film really original and it makes this comedy standout above others in recent memory. This is one of the funniest films of the year and you will most likely enjoy this crazy ride. Films like this are a must in the comedy genre, where most of the time, ideas are watered down, and uninspired. Just look at Adam Sandler's body of work in the last decade as an example. This on the other hand is a much needed breath of fresh air, and is a much needed comedy in a sometimes lacking genre of film. The cast make this a standout film, and it is a fun ride from start to finish. This is the End will be hard to beat, and finally we have the first memorable comedy film of 2013.