The Three Ages - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Three Ages Reviews

July 11, 2014
This Keaton's early comedy is fairly amusing but there is not much else into it, with an hour of it seeming almost like an eternity. Nice to see it remastered though, after rediscovered in a very bad condition, even if some damage in the image quality is still quite visible.
½ September 3, 2010
This movie is slow for the most part, and it's not as funny as Keaton's other movies.
½ February 18, 2012
Essentially three shorts interlaced into a brief feature, "The Three Ages" parallels three similar love stories set in the Stone Age, ancient Rome and the present. The players (mainly our hero Buster Keaton, sweetheart Margaret Leahy and bullying rival Wallace Beery) are carried across all three tales and even act under their own names. Unfortunately, we're watching the film to laugh rather than to swoon, and the action is a bit light on memorable gags. It does have a unique chariot race, a funny scene between Keaton and a "lion," a wonderful way to protest a date applying makeup at the table and a brilliant sight gag with a ramshackle car that falls apart on the road. Perhaps best of all is a climactic, dangerous stunt where Keaton tries to leap between two buildings -- apparently, the jump did not go as planned but was used anyway.
½ August 20, 2011
Even though this was Buster Keaton's first feature film, it was later revealed to be three two-reel shorts put together in order to create a feature length film. While the pieces all work separately, seeing them together and intertwined within the confines of The Three Ages makes the experience and film richer as a whole. Not quite up there with some of Keaton's masterpieces, The Three Ages is still a fantastic comedy that is just as timeless and relevant in film history as any of his other films. Any Keaton film shows his prowess as an actor and director and showcases his amazing talent and passion in film! Highly Recommended and another great from the silent-film era!
January 12, 2014
I love Buster Keaton - but this wasn't his strongest film. Each one of the short films that make up the three tied together as a feature might work - but the three interspersed together is a bit of overkill.
July 29, 2013
dude gives a lion a pedicure, shows up at a chariot race on a dog sled, and plays prehistoric golf. whats not to like?
June 11, 2012
I've just decided if it's Keaton, I going to give 5 stars. The chariot race is hilarious. A couple of his stunts are amazing. Recommended.
½ December 8, 2011
A fantastic, comedic representation of the similarities in love throughout the course of history. The film highlights three ages, the Stone Age, the "Roman" Age, and the Modern Age. As with all Buster Keaton films, I marvel at how no words could enhance the already clear portrait he attempts to paint. Even though it was released almost ninety years ago, it is still very much relevant to today's audience.
½ October 11, 2008
Hilarious! In what other movie are you going to see a guy give a lion a pedicure? None other is the correct answer
May 2, 2008
A great parody of "Intolerance" Keaton brings his usual ingenuity and visual flair to this film, with such great gags as having a pet dinosaur or golfing with rocks and "clubs." The movie is a little long though, it got a wee bit boring at some points in the middle, especially in the Rome sequences. Still completely worth watching though, as it was hilarious.
June 10, 2007
Lesser Keaton, but still often fantastic. The fact that it's a spoof of Griffith's Intolerance alone is pretty wicked.
February 22, 2015
A parody of D.W. Griffith's Intolerance that laid the comedic architecture for Keaton's stronger films.
July 11, 2014
January 12, 2014
December 10, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
November 12, 2013
Nobody does it like Buster. This is as basic as stories come: two guys fighting over the same girl. It's told three times, with one story taking place in the Stone Age, one in Roman times and one in the present (circa 1920, of course). I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I can watch this man perform his comedy routines all day long. This works as well as it does because the stories are interwoven; you get the same 4 to 6 minutes three times over with the same beats, but every time, the gags are different. If this was just three 20-minute shorts featured separately, this would be less worthwhile, so it was a smart decision to structure it like they did. The thing about Buster Keaton is that he is smart with his comedy, and he has clever ideas that he inserts into his films. He knows how to take you by surprise, and he is well aware that 80% of what makes silent comedy work is in the eye contact. The only real negative thing I have to say is that the print that I watched was a damaged in small parts, maybe for one to two minutes total; the streaming quality on Netflix was great otherwise, so I imagine this is solely because this is ninety years old, and a perfect print probably doesn't exist.
September 9, 2013
Although not one of Buster Keaton's best, his first foray into feature-length film is a generally enjoyable venture. Parodying D.W. Griffith's epic 'Intolerance' (1916), Keaton peaks in prehistoric times as a caveman determined to nab the woman of his dreams.